Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Dont order smittybuilt door surrounds!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/dont-order-smittybuilt-door-surrounds-166130.html)

jkaufman_95 06-11-2012 05:39 PM

Dont order smittybuilt door surrounds!!
 
So, summer is here and this year I decided I wanted a soft top, so I ordered all my parts
rampage frameless- check
Best top tailgate bar- check
Smitty door surrounds- no!!
I ordered these a month ago (5/11) and I've been patiently waiting for a month (jeeps laid up in the shop right now anyway) I just called today and was told by the lady at 4wd that they aren't out of RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT yet! They are selling a product not even in production! Okay so bottom line they should be ready and in my hands by December! Perfect soft top season right?! Wrong. Cancelled my order.
Don't order these nothing on their site shows these aren't going to be available yet so here is your warning!
These are part number s/b1404 on 4wd.com.

Beastmaster 06-11-2012 07:13 PM

Wow,

Lots of negative reports on Smittybuilt.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/don...lt-163503.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/dam...lt-162717.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/smi...yi-161653.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/why-...lt-155251.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/who...ml#post2262920
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/smit...mo-143902.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/smi...ge-137469.html

And the list goes on.

jkaufman_95 06-11-2012 07:14 PM

I'm not bashing the product. I've never used them. I'm saying dont buy them if you wanna use them this year. Cause you won't get em. The quality could be excellent.

KBR97 06-11-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 2462238)
The quality could be excellent.

:rofl:

jkaufman_95 06-11-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBR97
:rofl:

Yeah I know :p
But come on molded plastic? How could they screw that up... I normally steer away from their products but I figured they just jacked a set of molds from mopar..

KBR97 06-11-2012 07:21 PM

Probably did just copy them. Only thing I could think of is the holes wouldn't line up properly. I figured the same thing when I purchased the Smitty pocket flares a few years back, can't be that bad. Some of the mounting holes that bolt the flare to the fender didn't line up at all.
Luckily I bought them from someone for about 1/2 price.


It happened for a reason, you'll be much better off with bestop, or mopar.

jkaufman_95 06-11-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBR97
Probably did just copy them. Only thing I could think of is the holes wouldn't line up properly. I figured the same thing when I purchased the Smitty pocket flares a few years back, can't be that bad. Some of the mounting holes that bolt the flare to the fender didn't line up at all.
Luckily I bought them from someone for about 1/2 price.

It happened for a reason, you'll be much better off with bestop, or mopar.

Yeah They said they were still in r&d? What is there to develop?
I'm just gonna buy a best top set. I was trying to save money god reminded me buy the best you can

jeepers29 06-11-2012 09:25 PM

Just remeber, if it's made in china more than likely it's crap!

Jerry Bransford 06-12-2012 08:25 AM

Still in R&D? Don't make me laugh, that just means their Chinese manufacturer hasn't started making their copy yet.

Smittybilt has become a joke since old man Smitty died and the family sold their formerly good company name to investors.

Zurn 06-12-2012 08:42 AM

I have never bought their products for any of my Jeeps in the past. Sound like it is also a no for the TJ. From reading the number of threads here I can only surmise that Smitty is misspelled and slightly mispronounced...... :nonono:

Neil F. 06-12-2012 08:55 AM

Just get the OEM off ebay. The going price is around 100.00

jkaufman_95 06-12-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Still in R&D? Don't make me laugh, that just means their Chinese manufacturer hasn't started making their copy yet.

Smittybilt has become a joke since old man Smitty died and the family sold their formerly good company name to investors.

Yeah I agree that was a bs line to get me to stop ranting about selling a not in production product. They look exactly the same as oe (i sold a set of oe a few months ago, wish I hadn't)

Beastmaster 06-12-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 2462258)
Yeah I know :p
But come on molded plastic? How could they screw that up... I normally steer away from their products but I figured they just jacked a set of molds from mopar..

:rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 2462334)
Yeah They said they were still in r&d? What is there to develop?

They are still in litigation over the molds they jacked from Mopar. :facepalm:

:D

jkaufman_95 06-12-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmaster

:rofl:

They are still in litigation over the molds they jacked from Mopar. :facepalm:

:D

Yeah the are researching and devolving a way to keep the molds from mopar

tbensor 06-12-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 2462238)
I'm not bashing the product. I've never used them. I'm saying dont buy them if you wanna use them this year. Cause you won't get em. The quality could be excellent.


I have the SmittyBuilt 3 inch tube steps. Love them so far. Had a part I lost and called CS. They were very responsive and sent the replacement free of charge. I guess everyone has different results.

jkaufman_95 06-12-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor

I have the SmittyBuilt 3 inch tube steps. Love them so far. Had a part I lost and called CS. They were very responsive and sent the replacement free of charge. I guess everyone has different results.

3 inch tube steps and door surrounds wouldn't be experiencing the same production issues...,

s14sh3r 06-12-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor (Post 2464165)
I have the SmittyBuilt 3 inch tube steps. Love them so far. Had a part I lost and called CS. They were very responsive and sent the replacement free of charge. I guess everyone has different results.

The steps were out of R and D. :rofl:

tbensor 06-12-2012 09:59 AM

Sorry. I wasn't commenting on that. Just that so many people seem to dislike them and I had a good experience.

s14sh3r 06-12-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor (Post 2464281)
Sorry. I wasn't commenting on that. Just that so many people seem to dislike them and I had a good experience.

I know. I was just being a wise ass :D

Black Magic Brakes 06-12-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor (Post 2464281)
Sorry. I wasn't commenting on that. Just that so many people seem to dislike them and I had a good experience.

Does that mean you would recommend I go buy S/B? Bear in mind that if I do and the part is not as expected, I get to hold you personally responsible based on your recommendation.

jkaufman_95 06-12-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14sh3r

I know. I was just being a wise ass :D

You and I would get along well :D

TJDave 06-12-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 2464300)
Does that mean you would recommend I go buy S/B? Bear in mind that if I do and the part is not as expected, I get to hold you personally responsible based on your recommendation.

Buy the company.......

:confused:Hmm. "Savvybilt" "Black Smitty Magic" They both have a nice ring to them.:rofl:

JTjeep64 06-12-2012 10:36 AM

Why not get a Bestop Supertop? I have one and love it. You don't need door surrounds.

KBR97 06-12-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 2464402)
Buy the company.......

:confused:Hmm. "Savvybilt" "Black Smitty Magic" They both have a nice ring to them.:rofl:

Shittybuilt sounds mo' betterer.

jkaufman_95 06-12-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTjeep64
Why not get a Bestop Supertop? I have one and love it. You don't need door surrounds.

Cause I already bought a rampage frameless...

TJDave 06-12-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBR97 (Post 2464428)
Shittybuilt sounds mo' betterer.

You missed the point. The stuff would no longer be built $hitty.

I think it's just a marketing company anyway now. I don't think there is a manufacturing side left to buy, that would be of any use.

So, Nevermind. Carry on.:)

tbensor 06-13-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 2464300)
Does that mean you would recommend I go buy S/B? Bear in mind that if I do and the part is not as expected, I get to hold you personally responsible based on your recommendation.


I wasn't recommending you buy them. But you can hold me accountable if you want. Just remember I live in Florida so come prepared when you come to collect.

s14sh3r 06-13-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor (Post 2467611)
I wasn't recommending you buy them. But you can hold me accountable if you want. Just remember I live in Florida so come prepared when you come to collect.

He should bring a 30 pack?

tbensor 06-13-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14sh3r (Post 2467737)
He should bring a 30 pack?

an 18 pack will do. :) Then we can switch to Whisky

dcstewart 06-13-2012 07:30 PM

Interesting that nobody is bashing 4WD for selling a product they know is not yet available and won't be available for over 6 months. Somehow I think there is more to this story.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.