Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Downhill assist?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/downhill-assist-167156.html)

GCDMD 06-15-2012 10:14 PM

Downhill assist??

Hey all,

Was out wheeling with the Rubi and happened to come across a very steep downgrade. I slammed it in 4lo and pushed the auto tranny into just 1 (2012 5-speed). The rubi maintained 5 mph without any brakes or even increasing in RPMs, it seemed to maintain 800 RPM and 5 mph the entire way down. The downhill assist light wasn't on, was it on and am I just an idiot? It was cool, but I'm not sure what IT was exactly....:dance:

chim-chim7 06-15-2012 10:31 PM

4 low in first gear is low enough. The hill you describe wasnt as steep as you think. Its when it wants to haul ass is 4 low without the brakes on. Then you are on a steep enough descent to benefit from the DBA.

Up Hill Bill 06-15-2012 10:51 PM

I've used DHA while in 4-low on steep slopes and it goes so frustratingly slowly that I have turned it off on every occasion and controlled the speed of descent myself with gears and brakes.

GCDMD 06-15-2012 10:54 PM

It was frustratingly slow, but I didn't turn anything on beyond just putting it in 1st gear. The hill was VERY steep, the fact the RPMS didn't move at all and I doubt I even went 5mph makes me curious as to what happened. I have gone down many hills with the Rubi, every time the RPMS increase but speed increases only a negligible amount. The fact I had NO increase in RPMS or speed is interesting.

RubiJK12 06-15-2012 11:32 PM

With the Rubi crawl ratio, 4:10 geers, and the 5 speed, I find that down hill speed is really controllable. Shifting into 2, 3 etc. works well to control the speed you want without using the brakes. I've tried the DHA and that is even slower. Haven't found a need for it yet since the 4low range seems to work well, and by shifting up and down, allows you to select a safe speed..
Fun stuff!

chim-chim7 06-16-2012 03:42 AM

Um, you will need it when your trying to creep down a rock face, and anything other than snail speed will allow the back end to pass your front end. When your rear axle is up in the air 3 feet all the way down the face, you know it's steep.:thumb::D

GCDMD 06-16-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chim-chim7 (Post 2478938)
Um, you will need it when your trying to creep down a rock face, and anything other than snail speed will allow the back end to pass your front end. When your rear axle is up in the air 3 feet all the way down the face, you know it's steep.:thumb::D

Damn, that is steep. :surrender:

auburnJEEP 07-20-2012 12:48 AM

Mine only seemed to work in reverse, I could feel my brakes grabbing on a really steep hill. Maybe I'm crazy, but going down front first didn't seem to do anything? I'm not sure if I am using it right? I will dry again on the steeps sometime. I find I forget about it most of the time.

Sueby 07-20-2012 07:10 AM

You have to push the button to turn it on - it turns a light on on the dash too. You'll know when it working - you can feel the brakes working.

auburnJEEP 07-21-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 2604588)
You have to push the button to turn it on - it turns a light on on the dash too. You'll know when it working - you can feel the brakes working.

The few times i tried it the light went on showing it was turned on but i did not feel it working. Only that one time when i used it reversing down hill did i feel the brakes grabbing.