Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   What I've learned as a Jeep owner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/what-ive-learned-as-a-jeep-owner-167179.html)

Scarlet Begonia 06-16-2012 06:31 AM

What I've learned as a Jeep owner
 
I've only had my Jeep for about a month, but there are some things I have learned about Jeep ownership.

- your kids' friends will think you are the coolest mom ever

- when you say (before buying) that, "nah, I don't want to change anything about my Jeep," it's not really true. You find yourself checking out other Jeep mods wondering, what should I do first?

- the shock of sitting on a sun-baked seat in shorts will cause you to say things in front of your kids that you never want them to hear. Or repeat.

- it's next to impossible to talk on the phone with the top off and you realize that your phone call just isn't that important.

- I still love my Jeep just as much as the day I got it.

What have you learned from owning a Jeep?

LiftedTj 06-16-2012 08:06 AM

That I will be forever broke as long as my TJ is sitting in my driveway. The conversation with my passenger gets shorter as wind noise increases, and honestly i don't care if we make it where we are going, as long as we are able to get back home in as few pieces as possible. Just something i have accepted and learned to live with.

BlackJack7 06-16-2012 08:45 AM

I've learned that a lot of stuff is more water proof than you think.

cavediverjc 06-16-2012 08:49 AM

I've learned that you no longer measure its utility in miles-per-gallon...you measure it in SMILES-PER-GALLON. :D

Con Artist 06-16-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlet Begonia (Post 2479136)
I've only had my Jeep for about a month, but there are some things I have learned about Jeep ownership.

- your kids' friends will think you are the coolest mom ever

- when you say (before buying) that, "nah, I don't want to change anything about my Jeep," it's not really true. You find yourself checking out other Jeep mods wondering, what should I do first?

- the shock of sitting on a sun-baked seat in shorts will cause you to say things in front of your kids that you never want them to hear. Or repeat.

- it's next to impossible to talk on the phone with the top off and you realize that your phone call just isn't that important.

- I still love my Jeep just as much as the day I got it.

What have you learned from owning a Jeep?

- That I'll be waking up in the middle of the night just to go play around in the Jeep while it sits in the garage

- That I'll have to figure out how to put up a hoist so I can remove my hard-top

- Gas mileage be damned, I'm going to upgrade wheels/tires anyway

- To budget money for gas

- If I don't wear a hat I'll look like Red Skull from the Captain America comics

- How to NOT touch the center console if I leave it out in the sun while at the store

- How to be a more patient driver

- That the slower I drive, the longer my ride is

- That chicks dig Jeeps

- That I'll make every and any excuse to go for a drive on a nice day

- It's impossible to hear the BlueTooth while the tops are out or windows are down

- How much my oldest niece loves riding in it

BirdsOfJay 06-16-2012 10:36 AM

What I learned:

- Forget about using anything for an armrest after you leave your jeep out in the sun for 30+ minutes. In fact, forget about touching anything but the seat and steering wheel (for those with JK's black interior)

- Driving a jeep to school/work with no doors or top will entice the male species to invite themselves into your car and demand a ride

- Nothing looks better on your jeep than mud :thumb:

- You'll be torn between saving your money for clothes, food, etc.. and spending it for a new mod for your jeep

- The gas gauge and money you will spend on gas will upset you, but driving in the ditch to cut through a traffic jam will bring you so much happiness that gas is no longer an issue :cool:

BlueRidgeYJ 06-16-2012 11:22 AM

That there is a direct connection between the fuel gauge and my happiness: They are codependent.

That when you live in the mountains, you should bring the doors along, just in case. Or some dry clothes at least.

MarkinOhio 06-16-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

I've learned that you no longer measure its utility in miles-per-gallon...you measure it in SMILES-PER-GALLON. :D
Excellent sir! What he said, X 1000.

I've learned that of all the vehicles I ever had or thought I loved, nothing compares to a Wrangler. Nothing.

Con Artist 06-16-2012 02:30 PM

- Always have a hat and sweatshirt with you

- Always be prepared for long conversations with others while at the gas pump

- Always be prepared to wave

- Always put the lids on before parking over night in the garage because you may wind up with a wasp nest in your sweatshirt. :surrender:

Annienaaron09 06-16-2012 03:42 PM

That the people who don't wave, (con artist) shouldn't have bought a jeep!

1jeeplvr 06-16-2012 03:56 PM

I learned I didnt build my Jeep for speed and Jeep really does stand for just empty every pocket,but I dont mind

Con Artist 06-16-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annienaaron09 (Post 2480265)
That the people who don't wave, (con artist) shouldn't have bought a jeep!

- Learned I don't own a real Jeep because it has four doors.

- Learned not to wave at anything but JKs because waves from any other generation will just thumb their noses at my 4dr, fake Jeep.

- Learned my Jeep isn't worthy of a wave because it doesn't have aftermarket wheels and a lift.

- Learned to not give a damn about the wave rule.

- Learned I shouldn't have bought a Jeep because I don't wave at people who probably wouldn't wave to me anyway for all the above reasons.

Annienaaron09 06-17-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist

- Learned I don't own a real Jeep because it has four doors.

- Learned not to wave at anything but JKs because waves from any other generation will just thumb their noses at my 4dr, fake Jeep.

- Learned my Jeep isn't worthy of a wave because it doesn't have aftermarket wheels and a lift.

- Learned to not give a damn about the wave rule.

- Learned I shouldn't have bought a Jeep because I don't wave at people who probably wouldn't wave to me anyway for all the above reasons.

Between me and my husband, we have owned 5 jeeps, I don't think there is a fake jeep. I love the 4 doors, just too cheap to buy one. And I don't have a lift, I will wave to you, I promise.

Con Artist 06-17-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annienaaron09 (Post 2482045)
Between me and my husband, we have owned 5 jeeps, I don't think there is a fake jeep. I love the 4 doors, just too cheap to buy one. And I don't have a lift, I will wave to you, I promise.

Thanks! :thumb:

Flashole 06-17-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2480454)
- Learned I don't own a real Jeep because it has four doors.

- Learned not to wave at anything but JKs because waves from any other generation will just thumb their noses at my 4dr, fake Jeep.

- Learned my Jeep isn't worthy of a wave because it doesn't have aftermarket wheels and a lift.

- Learned to not give a damn about the wave rule.

- Learned I shouldn't have bought a Jeep because I don't wave at people who probably wouldn't wave to me anyway for all the above reasons.


I've owned a jeep approximately 3 weeks now. Sorry to say it, but I've already stopped waving at the 4 doors. They just don't wave back. Living in a city proabably has something to do with it.

As for what I've learned.

I've learned that the craigs list app. for your smart phone will cause you to spend money quickly.

I've learned that I love my jeep enough to actually want to go out and work on it. First time in years that I've owned a vehicle which I like well enough to even change the oil myself.

I've learned that I don't have enough disposable income.

stykthyn 06-17-2012 09:12 AM

the only 4 doors or jk's for that matter that dont wave at me are the soccer moms. and now that I think about it they dont wave regardless of what model jeep they are in. Probably because they are too busy checking make up in the rear view while jacked into their cellphones with overwight preteens in the back screaming they want to go to mcdonalds.

Con Artist 06-17-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashole (Post 2482143)
I've owned a jeep approximately 3 weeks now. Sorry to say it, but I've already stopped waving at the 4 doors. They just don't wave back. Living in a city proabably has something to do with it.

As for what I've learned.

I've learned that the craigs list app. for your smart phone will cause you to spend money quickly.

I've learned that I love my jeep enough to actually want to go out and work on it. First time in years that I've owned a vehicle which I like well enough to even change the oil myself.

I've learned that I don't have enough disposable income.

I get waves from JKs more than any other generation, but maybe because I own a JK. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stykthyn (Post 2482164)
the only 4 doors or jk's for that matter that dont wave at me are the soccer moms. and now that I think about it they dont wave regardless of what model jeep they are in. Probably because they are too busy checking make up in the rear view while jacked into their cellphones with overwight preteens in the back screaming they want to go to mcdonalds.

I've found that most people driving down opposite sides of the road aren't even looking out to see what's on the opposite side of the road. I think most people are just oblivious to anyone waving to them.

FWIW, these wouldn't be soccermoms, because if they were, their teens wouldn't be overweight. :thumb:

Hoytgirl07 06-17-2012 09:22 AM

A Jeep is a Jeep(unless it is lowered and pimped out)BAHAHA:whistling:

I didnt think I could care about a vehicle as much as I do about my Jeep.

Really needs like 6 jobs(or a sugardaddy) to mod my Jeep like I want.

My Jeep has slowed me down. I used to drive fast everywhere I went and now I just cruise.:hide:

That my tires are not mud worthy. BFG ATs dont do much in the soupy mud all you do is slide.

That you could sweat so fast just sitting at a red light.:facepalm:

stykthyn 06-17-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2482188)
I get waves from JKs more than any other generation, but maybe because I own a JK. :)



I've found that most people driving down opposite sides of the road aren't even looking out to see what's on the opposite side of the road. I think most people are just oblivious to anyone waving to them.

FWIW, these wouldn't be soccermoms, because if they were, their teens wouldn't be overweight. :thumb:

I agree with points one and two completely. I know I have missed some waves here and there. Everyone does. Point 3 may be a regional thing. Plenty of chubbies here huffing up and down the fields. I think its that liberal its not winning or losing as long as you show up and play you get a pizza party and trophy kind of thing.

Con Artist 06-17-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stykthyn (Post 2482204)
I agree with points one and two completely. I know I have missed some waves here and there. Everyone does. Point 3 may be a regional thing. Plenty of chubbies here huffing up and down the fields. I think its that liberal its not winning or losing as long as you show up and play you get a pizza party and trophy kind of thing.

I can't claim to ever being in fantastic, athletic shape, but I was thin and very active. I hated being in the house. I was always out playing football, baseball, skateboarding, riding a bike, or just walking around with friends.

When I was a kid, MOST parents and coaches taught the importance of good sportsmanship and as long as you gave your best effort, winning or losing wasn't important. I still find an importance in winning. As far as I'm concerned, the loser shouldn't be rewarded. I wasn't ever happy with being in second place and my mentality has always been, "Second place means I'm the First Place Loser."

I never liked playing in Little League baseball or soccer, or any other type of organized sport. I found the biggest competition came from the other kids in the neighborhood, and the motivation to be good was because nobody wanted to be picked last for a team.

stykthyn 06-17-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2482244)
I can't claim to ever being in fantastic, athletic shape, but I was thin and very active. I hated being in the house. I was always out playing football, baseball, skateboarding, riding a bike, or just walking around with friends.

When I was a kid, MOST parents and coaches taught the importance of good sportsmanship and as long as you gave your best effort, winning or losing wasn't important. I still find an importance in winning. As far as I'm concerned, the loser shouldn't be rewarded. I wasn't ever happy with being in second place and my mentality has always been, "Second place means I'm the First Place Loser."

I never liked playing in Little League baseball or soccer, or any other type of organized sport. I found the biggest competition came from the other kids in the neighborhood, and the motivation to be good was because nobody wanted to be picked last for a team.

I dont find anything wrong with second place unless it was just handed to you. For the most part I feel the same way you do and I think a lot of the problems I have with todays youth is generational. I live in a family neighborhood and you dont see kids outside playing kickball, basketball, riding bikes or anything else. What are they doing? inside playing video games and tweeting that they are bored. I have derailed this enough.


What have I learned as a jeep owner? I no longer mind damp shorts, hot vinyl seats will likely lead to male infertility, making my hair look nice is a waste of time, and farmer tans do indeed become permanent.

PeteH 06-17-2012 10:48 AM

It's primitive.

It rides like a grocery cart.

It leaks.

It's noisy - not the engine, but all the rattles plus all the wind noise.

It's expensive - parts and fuel, let alone mods.

The emergency handling -- well, let's leave it at "less than perfect".

You need to carry a blanket to put over the seats in Summertime.

BUT - it's FUN, and inexplicably, it's very VERY satisfying to drive/own/caretake. I bought mine intending to get a Summer out of it, and now it looks like I'll be keeping it indefinitely. (We do have another, more civilized ride, though.)

1jeeplvr 06-17-2012 09:34 PM

If you want to find out who really has your back take them wheeling with you.

kurtz265 06-18-2012 09:22 AM

I've learned a lot about weather, and forecasting weather.

bdelpilar 06-18-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtz265
I've learned a lot about weather, and forecasting weather.

Damn right... me and all my jeep buddies know the entire weekly forecast at all times. Now it's become a half joke, half real question when everybody asks us for the weather lol

02tj-clayton 06-19-2012 01:08 AM

puddles are a good car wash
you learn that street cars like mustanges dont like the fact that you can change lanes better then them and you can out pace them in a lot of areas
who needs medians?
jeep mods are like STDs (hah i just made an new meaning "Stare touch Do"

2004 lj 06-19-2012 01:38 AM

If its sunny and tops off its gonna rain..

Scarlet Begonia 06-19-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 2479377)
I've learned that you no longer measure its utility in miles-per-gallon...you measure it in SMILES-PER-GALLON. :D

:thumb: Love that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2479609)

- That I'll have to figure out how to put up a hoist so I can remove my hard-top

- How to NOT touch the center console if I leave it out in the sun while at the store

- How to be a more patient driver

- That the slower I drive, the longer my ride is

- That I'll make every and any excuse to go for a drive on a nice day

:thumb: I need a hoist, too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdsOfJay (Post 2479618)
What I learned:

- Forget about using anything for an armrest after you leave your jeep out in the sun for 30+ minutes. In fact, forget about touching anything but the seat and steering wheel (for those with JK's black interior)

- The gas gauge and money you will spend on gas will upset you, but driving in the ditch to cut through a traffic jam will bring you so much happiness that gas is no longer an issue :cool:

:thumb: That first point so SO TRUE! I have scalded myself so many times! Luckily, I haven't been in a traffic jam just yet, but at least I know I can off-road it to get out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoytgirl07 (Post 2482193)

I didnt think I could care about a vehicle as much as I do about my Jeep.

Really needs like 6 jobs(or a sugardaddy) to mod my Jeep like I want.

My Jeep has slowed me down. I used to drive fast everywhere I went and now I just cruise.:hide:

That you could sweat so fast just sitting at a red light.:facepalm:

:thumb: So true!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2482188)

I've found that most people driving down opposite sides of the road aren't even looking out to see what's on the opposite side of the road. I think most people are just oblivious to anyone waving to them.

:thumb: I have noticed this, too - whether it's a two door or four door. I did get a wave the other day from someone in a 2 door, with the doors off but wearing a shirt and tie. He waved back, but he still had that "what the...?" look on his face. I guess it's too much of a shock to see a mom with kids in the back of a jeep waving.

I have to add that I've also re-learned how much I love having the windows down with my arm resting on the door. Takes me back to my childhood, when dad's car didn't have a/c.

I've also re-learned how smelly it is to ride in the city or on highways with the top or windows down, but I love how fresh it is in the mountains (except for the dead skunks).

Stromson 06-19-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2480454)
- Learned I don't own a real Jeep because it has four doors.

Now I'll admit I don't personally care for the 4-Door model (just don't like the way it looks), I was under the impression a Jeep is a Jeep, regardless of doors. Of course I don't actually own one yet, so what do I know?

Con Artist 06-19-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stromson (Post 2489916)
Now I'll admit I don't personally care for the 4-Door model (just don't like the way it looks), I was under the impression a Jeep is a Jeep, regardless of doors. Of course I don't actually own one yet, so what do I know?

Yes, I too was under the impression I purchased a "real" Jeep until it was brought to my attention by more than a few members here through various posts (and threads) that I was indeed duped. :popcorn:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.