Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   DIY soft top kayak transport for $20 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/diy-soft-top-kayak-transport-for-20-a-167539.html)

TheBostonWrangler 06-18-2012 01:13 AM

DIY soft top kayak transport for $20
 
So it took me 3 stress-inducing trips to the river and a half dozen in-and-outs at Dicks, Home Depot and Walmart to figure out the best DIY method to secure 2 11' yaks without 1) putting so much pressure on the handles that you rip them off and destroy your kayak and 2) having them fly off on the highway and killing someone. So I figured I would save someone else the stress and post what you need.

2 12' ratchet straps - the more heavy-duty the better. Dicks had these.

4 50" bungee cords - get the ones with the half-circle shape - they grab the bumper - the little ones won't. Walmart had these.

Total cost is about $20. I've only driven about 8 hours with this setup so far, but ive done sharp turns in the neighborhood and 75 mph on the highway - the yaks have not budged and the stress on the handles is no more than what you'd expect anchoring in moderate current. Also, the vibration is much less this way than my other attempts.

Process:

Lay both yaks side by side, bow towards headlights. You can lay the yaks face up or down, but face-up is a lot quieter, especially if you have no top on.

Open the driver and passenger door. One ratchet strap goes around the yaks about 1/3 from the front of yak. This front strap should meet right around the sun visors. Ratchet 2 goes 1/3 from the back of the yak and should meet at the rear-most point of the roll bar. If you have your side windows in, they will have to be unzipped to expose the rollbar. Tighten ratchet til yaks cease to move.

You have 4 bungees - this is your backup plan should a ratchet fail. Each will go on a kayak handle. Stretch and attach to bumper at 4 points.

Check every 25 miles or so to ensure everything is secure. Replace bungees when/if they lose elasticity.

That's it. If you choose a different method, just don't ratchet the handles. Old Town failed to repair the handle when my friend ratcheted too tight, and a kayak without handles has basically no value.

Have fun!

JVLemur 06-18-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBostonWrangler
So it took me 3 stress-inducing trips to the river and a half dozen in-and-outs at Dicks, Home Depot and Walmart to figure out the best DIY method to secure 2 11' yaks without 1) putting so much pressure on the handles that you rip them off and destroy your kayak and 2) having them fly off on the highway and killing someone. So I figured I would save someone else the stress and post what you need.

2 12' ratchet straps - the more heavy-duty the better. Dicks had these.

4 50" bungee cords - get the ones with the half-circle shape - they grab the bumper - the little ones won't. Walmart had these.

Total cost is about $20. I've only driven about 8 hours with this setup so far, but ive done sharp turns in the neighborhood and 75 mph on the highway - the yaks have not budged and the stress on the handles is no more than what you'd expect anchoring in moderate current. Also, the vibration is much less this way than my other attempts.

Process:

Lay both yaks side by side, bow towards headlights. You can lay the yaks face up or down, but face-up is a lot quieter, especially if you have no top on.

Open the driver and passenger door. One ratchet strap goes around the yaks about 1/3 from the front of yak. This front strap should meet right around the sun visors. Ratchet 2 goes 1/3 from the back of the yak and should meet at the rear-most point of the roll bar. If you have your side windows in, they will have to be unzipped to expose the rollbar. Tighten ratchet til yaks cease to move.

You have 4 bungees - this is your backup plan should a ratchet fail. Each will go on a kayak handle. Stretch and attach to bumper at 4 points.

Check every 25 miles or so to ensure everything is secure. Replace bungees when/if they lose elasticity.

That's it. If you choose a different method, just don't ratchet the handles. Old Town failed to repair the handle when my friend ratcheted too tight, and a kayak without handles has basically no value.

Have fun!

Could you post some pics? I'm looking to get a 13footer and have no idea how I would mount it, this really helps, thanks!

MississippiDirtTJ 06-18-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVLemur (Post 2484683)
Could you post some pics? I'm looking to get a 13footer and have no idea how I would mount it, this really helps, thanks!

X2 :popcorn:

6rings 06-18-2012 07:37 AM

I saw a post where a guy had a rack installed over the soft top to haul camping supplies he said it didnt interfere with top installation may have had a frameless soft top?

Wattapunk 06-18-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6rings (Post 2485085)
I saw a post where a guy had a rack installed over the soft top to haul camping supplies he said it didnt interfere with top installation may have had a frameless soft top?

You may be referring to the congo racks that doesn't interfere with the soft top operation.

dama417 06-18-2012 08:15 AM

Thule makes what they call a "Goal post canoe carrier" goes into the trailer hitch receiver (I built my own for a fraction of the cost). The back of the canoe (or Kayak)sits on the "goal post" the front on top of the windshield with foam blocks. Nothing touches the Soft Top, or Hard Top, or no Top at all. It's hinged at the bottom so it can be dropped down to open the tail gate.

TheBostonWrangler 06-25-2012 04:00 PM

Sorry guys, I've been on the water for a week!

I'm going out again in the next 48 hours. I will take detailed pics and post em.

I'd fully expect it to work on 13 footers because you're only adding a foot to the front and back, which will stretch the bungees a little but not intolerable to the handles.

JVLemur 06-25-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBostonWrangler
Sorry guys, I've been on the water for a week!

I'm going out again in the next 48 hours. I will take detailed pics and post em.

I'd fully expect it to work on 13 footers because you're only adding a foot to the front and back, which will stretch the bungees a little but not intolerable to the handles.

Ok cool, Thanx, turns out not only do I have to haul my kayak when I get it but also a couple seadoos while my dad hauls the boat with the Durango so I might just throw the kayak with the seadoos somehow, if not then back to your setup.

MustangWrangler 06-25-2012 04:17 PM

I'm in the same boat...no pun intended.

clarkkent 06-25-2012 11:59 PM

Pictures so I can go buy a kayak and do this haha

Vidder 06-27-2012 04:44 PM

Yeah>>>> pics!

baerbonesjones 06-28-2012 11:35 AM

pics please about to buy a kayak , and dont want to get a trailer

Vidder 07-01-2012 06:56 AM

i can't believe we haven't seen pics yet!

YJkiddo 07-01-2012 07:15 AM

Zzz. Where the pics lok

WeekenderATX 07-01-2012 08:26 AM

Been thinking about this too. Pics please!

Vidder 07-07-2012 09:10 AM

best or worst thread-starter ever?

Vidder 07-11-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidder (Post 2554685)
best or worst thread-starter ever?

WORST! Definitely!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.