Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Warning! European CRD owners ad choosing wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/warning-european-crd-owners-ad-choosing-wheels-167542.html)

jx2.se 06-18-2012 03:18 AM

Warning! European CRD owners ad choosing wheels

Just thought I'd share my experience:
Read a lot about tires n wheels combos and ended up buying 16inch namib wheels with 33/11,5 General AT.
When they where completing my call at the dealer I got a call from my sales rep stating that the wheels wouldn't fit.

Dont know if this is a difference between the gassers and the crd but even my new 17inch rims is a really tight fit.

So for 2012 JKU CRD, dont even think about anything other then 17 and above. I took the cheap route and ended up spending even more $$$$

Extreamly happy with my new 17 black alloys and my33/12.5 cooper ST though =)

RedBones 06-18-2012 05:48 AM

Post some pics when you get a chance.
Welcome to the forum.

CRDWrangler 06-18-2012 09:18 AM

Hi!

I had a similar experience. Wanted to buy winter tires on 16 inch rims, only to be told by the tire shop that they didn't fit... Had to go for 17 inch rims ( and different tires) instead... Strangely enough, my previous Jeep Wrangler CRD (a 2008 Sport) had it's winter tires on 16 inch rims, no problem. I'm now driving a 2011 Sahara CRD.

XJ Knight 06-18-2012 09:30 AM

The only thing I could think is the brakes are bigger on the CRD JK(U)'s.. Past that im not sure what else it could be.. Kinda suprised to hear this..

MTH 06-18-2012 09:45 AM

I'm going to say, "I doubt it."

There is a difference between being told anything below 17" won't fit and actually trying them on. The computer in every tire shop here in the States affirmatively tells you that nothing under a 17" wheel will fit. This is factually incorrect, but it's what the computer systems say because it's what the manufacturer says.

The factory 17" wheels look "tight" because of the high back spacing. Lower backspaced wheel will sit farther off the caliper.

However, I do know that in Australia, larger front brakes are required making 16" wheels the smallest possible, rather than the 15" wheels that fit here.

I suspect properly backspaced 16s would fit on the European CRDs.

Walkingstick 06-18-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

There is a difference between being told anything below 17" won't fit and actually trying them on. The computer in every tire shop here in the States affirmatively tells you that nothing under a 17" wheel will fit. This is factually incorrect, but it's what the computer systems say because it's what the manufacturer says.

The factory 17" wheels look "tight" because of the high back spacing. Lower backspaced wheel will sit farther off the caliper.

However, I do know that in Australia, larger front brakes are required making 16" wheels the smallest possible, rather than the 15" wheels that fit here.

I agree.

Vin 06-18-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2485462)

But I think they also have very strict laws about tires going past the fenders, so unless they have serious fender extentions out there, they won't be able to use wheels with low enough back spacing to allow the smaller wheel.

XJ Knight 06-18-2012 10:26 AM

Some country's are bigger on that then others.. OP didn't say where he was from though so didn't take that into consideration.

MTH 06-18-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin (Post 2485558)
But I think they also have very strict laws about tires going past the fenders, so unless they have serious fender extentions out there, they won't be able to use wheels with low enough back spacing to allow the smaller wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight (Post 2485598)
Some country's are bigger on that then others.. OP didn't say where he was from though so didn't take that into consideration.

Good points all around.

I guess all I'm really saying is that there's a difference between being TOLD a wheel won't fit, and then actually TRYING to fit a properly backspaced wheel.

We see it here in the States all the time--think of all the threads folks post here about "The local Discount Tire guy said I had to go with 17s . . . ."

So before we conclude "CRDs need 17s," we should make sure that issue was considered. And maybe it was. I couldn't really tell from the OP, so I thought I'd mention it. :thumb:

CRDWrangler 06-19-2012 03:29 AM

The tire shop did actually try the 16 inch tires on, only to realize that they did not fit. I believe the brakes were the problem. Don't know whether it was just the front tires or all around, but I ended up getting a more expensive tire package without extra cost. So I doubt they made up the story.... But it's true, I did not try them on myself...

MTH 06-19-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRDWrangler
The tire shop did actually try the 16 inch tires on, only to realize that they did not fit. I believe the brakes were the problem. Don't know whether it was just the front tires or all around, but I ended up getting a more expensive tire package without extra cost. So I doubt they made up the story.... But it's true, I did not try them on myself...

What was the back spacing on the wheel?

snochick 06-19-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin

Yea I got a pretty hefty ticket in England on my tj once for that. Dumb American building it for play in the US. Gave me an excuse to buy a set of bushwhackers, but even then I wasn't technically legal. Luckily my tj was new enough not to require an mot inspection though and I didn't get pulled over again before leaving the country.

rics1997 06-19-2012 08:14 AM

Overseas models have larger brake calipers making most 16" wheel unable to fit and none of the 15" will fit as far as I have heard. And most of the 16" that some have made fit, required grinding on the caliper.

jx2.se 06-19-2012 01:12 PM

rics1997, yelp that must be It, sorry if i was unclear, but I've got the wheels in my garage and of course i tried for myself and there is no way that rim will fit over the brake caliper. I live in sweden and of course i will post pictures as soon as Im done mounting my AEV premium and the lift =)