Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Road Trip, Removing back window and Side Windows with beach towels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/road-trip-removing-back-window-and-side-windows-with-beach-towels-167568.html)

SJS 06-18-2012 08:26 AM

Road Trip, Removing back window and Side Windows with beach towels

Road Trip, Removing back window and Side Windows with beach towels... I just got my jeep this weekend and I am going on a road trip for a few days and I am going to have to take my windows with me but I want the top down.. do you think its ok to use???... I will put a beach towels down then a window, then a beach towels then a window then beach towels then rear window and roll them up. side to side not top to down and then leave them under the top as it is pushed all the way down? how does this sound??

shredd_guy 06-18-2012 08:29 AM

then get some beer and you will be good.

SJS 06-18-2012 08:33 AM

so is this safe?? I marked up the read window all ready :( by rolling it up

Walkingstick 06-18-2012 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the world of Jeeps. Use some good wax or use bestop window cleaner to help get those scratches out. Oh and why not just buy a window carrier? I'll post a photo.

SJS 06-18-2012 08:46 AM

I asked the dealer and the dealer said NO bag!

jwink41 06-18-2012 08:50 AM

I just unzip the rear window and let it lay flat against the tailgate (or whatever you call the rear cargo door). The side windows either get rolled up by laying both insides against one another and tossed in the cargo area (2dr) or I lay them underneath the rear seat. The outsides of my windows have a few scratches, but I haven't been too careful with them either. The best top polish works like a champ as was already mentioned.

seadog 06-18-2012 08:52 AM

You'll be fine. That's how I used to roll up my boat windows.

Will they fit where you want to stow them? No idea. I have a hardtop. :facepalm:

SJS 06-18-2012 09:11 AM

thanks

Walkingstick 06-18-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS

Buy an after market one. Or do what other Jeepers have done. Use a fold out chair bag. But use Large towels. Use one in between the side windows and then one on top and on the bottom. Then zip out the rear window, and fold it in half and roll it up in with the rest of the windows, then use a pull strap to keep it in a tube shape, then stuff them into the fold out seat bag(water resistant).

Walkingstick 06-18-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwink41
I just unzip the rear window and let it lay flat against the tailgate (or whatever you call the rear cargo door). The side windows either get rolled up by laying both insides against one another and tossed in the cargo area (2dr) or I lay them underneath the rear seat. The outsides of my windows have a few scratches, but I haven't been too careful with them either. The best top polish works like a champ as was already mentioned.

I'm the same way! Haha. That stuff works like a charm!

SJS 06-18-2012 09:35 AM

I was thinking about leaving them under the top so the wind does not blow them out... what do you think.. I was going to use the Large towels and roll them up into a bag then put them under the roof

ShoreWrangler 06-18-2012 10:00 AM

Get a Bestop window storage duffle. I use mine all the time. Works great!

http://performancejeepchrysler.com/m...2/42810-09.jpg

Nev730 06-18-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS
so is this safe?? I marked up the read window all ready :( by rolling it up

Scratch X plastic polisher ✌

jwink41 06-18-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS
I was thinking about leaving them under the top so the wind does not blow them out... what do you think.. I was going to use the Large towels and roll them up into a bag then put them under the roof

Yep, I do that too sans a case. I figure if the windows get scratched in five years I can just get new windows. I've been wanting the tinted ones anyway! :)

Keep Moving Forward 06-18-2012 10:54 AM

I use the towel method all the time and I lay everything flat in the back of the tub. The alternating layers of beach towels protects the windows fine and I use a few bungee cords to fasten everything to the deck using the factory tie down spots. It works great and I've had no problems.

I read recently on another thread that a guy bought a 4" plastic tube (home depot, ect) used for plumbing and that he rolls up his windows in between layers of towels and then threas them all inside of the hard sided tube for protection and storage. I think I'm going to try that this weekend.

kjeeper10 06-18-2012 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I flop the rear down and use towels in-between the sides. Lay flat in back or at home.

Looks bad but it's safe and doesn't crease
Been doing it this way for years :)

jwink41 06-18-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keep Moving Forward
I use the towel method all the time and I lay everything flat in the back of the tub. The alternating layers of beach towels protects the windows fine and I use a few bungee cords to fasten everything to the deck using the factory tie down spots. It works great and I've had no problems.

I read recently on another thread that a guy bought a 4" plastic tube (home depot, ect) used for plumbing and that he rolls up his windows in between layers of towels and then threas them all inside of the hard sided tube for protection and storage. I think I'm going to try that this weekend.

I'm curious how you can get everything rolled up in a 4inch pipe. Let me know how that works!

SJS 06-18-2012 11:27 AM

kjeeper10 but how do you keep them from blowing out on parkways

Kssting 06-18-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS

???? What does he mean by no bag? The Mopar bag is a great solution to protect the windows. I hardly ever have my windows in but having them in the bag is great just in case I need them.

kjeeper10 06-18-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS
kjeeper10 but how do you keep them from blowing out on parkways

Lol.... This happened once :hide:

I put something on top. Wheel chock works.

SJS 06-18-2012 11:40 AM

also someone said under the rear seat? I dont see anyway to put them under the seat

jwink41 06-18-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS
also someone said under the rear seat? I dont see anyway to put them under the seat

Yep, the fit. I lay them lengthwise under the rear seat. They stick out into the cargo space but you can just roll that up a bit to get the tailgate closed. I didn't believe it when I first heard the idea, but it works.

SJS 06-18-2012 12:08 PM

and noting blows out?

jwink41 06-18-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS
and noting blows out?

I haven't had it happen yet. Cross my fingers, knock on wood.

SJS 06-18-2012 12:22 PM

thanks. I am going to try this weekend again...

jwink41 06-18-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS
thanks. I am going to try this weekend again...

Good luck and have fun!

Nev730 06-19-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keep Moving Forward

I do the same with the towels but I'm just curious on how to roll the side windows wouldn't it mess up the hard plastic on the window it self? I'm just scared to roll them and bend

Sunflour 06-19-2012 10:31 AM

I too am wondering how to roll the side windows with the plastic on 2 sides (along the door lip and that goes into the body grove)?

SJS 06-19-2012 11:05 AM

good question Sunflour

spankinkopita 06-19-2012 11:15 AM

I always washed them off with a mister bottle with water before wrapping them in a tee shirt sheet, got a single unfitted for $3 at Target. Held all three panels, they fit with a single fold, sheet between each panel, under the back seat