Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Stripped Frame Bolt - New To Jeeps - Advice Apprecaited

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  CharTay 
#1 ·
Hello fellow YJ owners... I'm new to the jeep community as I have owned my '95 wrangler YJ for a few months now.

This is my first post.

Gotta say I love my YJ and drive it whenever I can. I purchased the jeep on a whim from a use car dealer in Media, PA. with some bonus money. Best purchase ever made.

All in all the jeep is in decent shape but I was surprised by the rust underneath the vehicle.

Live and learn.

I've spent a few $ getting a 2" lift and 31" tires. I've purchased new bumpers and seats. Installed myself with little issue. Although I have learned to multiply the install time by 2 as I must be slow. :)

I then purchased side tube steps from Rampage to complete the look I am going for. I needed decent leverage to undo the frame bolts and after some PB Blaster and elbow grease I was able to get 3 of the 4 bolts undone.

It is always the 4th one that gets ya. For whatever reason the rear driver side frame bolt is getting stripped. I'm afraid if I apply any more elbow grease I'll strip it completely and then be up the river. See uploaded photo of bolt in question.

I'm looking for some seasoned advice on how to best deal with this issue.

Am I hosed and need to have it torched off or is there another alternative?

Thanks to any and all who reply in advance. :thumb:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Im not sure cause I want get the bigger picture to show but are u using 6 point sockets? If not try that next try get one size smaller socket and tap on usually u can switch from metric to standard and find a got snug fit but not to tight to tap on with a hammer and if that fails theres a grinder and a torch. Maybe even try heating up the frame around the bolt and twist usually will do it everytime. Ok haha that is all I have to offer

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am using a 6 point socket (5/8). And I did try other socket heads to see if I could get a more snug fit. No luck. Bolt didn't budge but the socket continued to slip off and strip the head.

Your other option of using a torch to heat the frame and bolt... Never used a torch but willing to learn. Any special torch I need to get?

Thanks again.

#4 ·
Get a breaker bar and socket over the bolt, then put a bottle/scissor jack and small block of wood under the pivot of the breaker bar. A couple hundred pounds of pressure working with you might keep the socket from backing off and rounding the nut.

#6 ·
that is a hell of a good idea! i never thought of that trick before and can think of multiple times where it would have come in handy.. i'll remember this one! (sorry for the :hijacked: )

#5 ·
You could try those sockets with the reverse spiral made for stripped heads and broken bolts. Sears and Napa both have them. and the jack idea with a breaker bar sounds like it would help too.
I had one that stripped the threads on the bolt had to sawzall from below brilled a hole up top and punch the bugger up thru, what a pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.