Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Sub rattling? Got the fix... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sub-rattling-got-the-fix-167889.html)

Lynskey 06-19-2012 11:41 AM

Sub rattling? Got the fix...

After installing my new HU, amp, speakers and JL W8 I noticed that with certain songs the sub would rattle the rear. Now before you guys go crazy, I'm not talking bass booming crap. Im not driving a rice rocket with dual 18's. Just upgrading the tunes to be able to hear them with the top off.

After isntalling the JL W8 in the Infinity sub tub, I noticed that it would vibrate at certain volumes/songs. I decided to do some old fashioned vibration dampening but using good technology. I used CLD tiles and Closed Cellular Foam (CCF) to reduce the rattles.

First off the CLD tiles and CCF are from sounddeadenershowdown.com. Don (owner) is one of the best sound guys around. His products are simply the best at reducing vibration and road noise. Now in a Jeep i'm not worried about road noise (obviously) but I hate vibration rattles from a sub. I literally hate hearing those ricers rattling as if the trunk and plates are going to fall off.

With the CLD tiles, you don't lay them out like you do with RAAMAT or other Monster Liner or other dampening material. You only need to cover about 25% of the area. And you mostly meed to apply them to flat areas. Curved metal does not resonate as much as large, flat surfaces. So I layed out the CLD tiles in certain areas on the sub side. I'll do the other side later this week.

Before:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg215...pg&res=landing

I did use one tile on the curved section of the trunk. But that's going to stop vibration on 3 surface areas. I also put a 1/2 CLD tile on each layer on the inside of the outer and inner frame - inside the oval-ish hole near the b-piller. CLD tiles on each inner-outer area totally deadened vibrations in the rear. Plus one inside of the rear tail light area. Basically covered a portion of every large flat surface.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg85/...pg&res=landing

Next was laying the CCF material under the "sub tub". I purchased 1/8" CCF and got enough to do both rear panels. For complete road noise elimination, you use Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) and CCF in a double layer. Since I am not needing noise reduction as much as reducing the vibration between the sub tub and the metal skin, no need for MLV. CCF alone will reduce some noise, but not as much as the CCF/MLV combo.

The CCF will create a vibration eliminator between the plastic and the metal skin of the rear panel. Plus the CCF is thin enough to compress a bit and didn't interfere with the sub tub fitment.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg801...pg&res=landing

I left the full width of the roll to cover the entire rear quarter and the wheel well. Cut to fit around the seat belt bolt and put back the carpet. You can't even tell that the CCF is under the carpeting. It knocked down a little of the tire noise. The end result is I played the same 2 songs that I remember hearing the rattle and there was none. Zero rattling. For me it solved the issue and also knocked down some road noise. It will be much more beneficial once the hard top is on. But a fun project either way.

Since I have enough CLD tiles and CCF to do the other side, Ill do the same thing. I purchased enough CLD tiles to put one on each side of the sound bar - inside the speaker well. That combined with the polyfill in the soundbar will eliminate all rattles there.

Dmactampa 07-30-2012 07:50 AM

How did this work? I am in the same boat after upgrading my stock infinity to a Kicker comp 8" and new Punch 300x1 amp. Hate the rattling and it doesn't take much. I used some silicone between the tub and plastic bracket around the roll bar but didn't even think about the entire back of the plastic!! I hope this is the answer I've been searching for.

Lynskey 07-30-2012 10:00 AM

It actually worked very well. After the install I still had a bit of rattle and I narrowed it down to the exact location. It was the top of the corner of the sub tub - directly where the power plug is is the rear corner. Just a bit of the plastic tub itself in that corner was moving around. I managed to find it and added a piece of CCF between it and the metal portion. Not a rattle since and I tried every song.

kramer2k 07-30-2012 10:28 AM

Very nice! Don is the best isn't he? I used him to sound deaden my Corvette and my Tacoma. He works with you to come up with the best solution for your needs. Great guy!

Where'd you mount the amp Lynskey?

Lynskey 07-30-2012 11:02 AM

Yes Don is awesome. He is one knowledgeable person and the best customer service to get you what you need. And the products are first rate quality.

The amp is mounted on the left side of the rear trunk - opposite the sub. I originally was going to go under the seat, but too much work with all of the wires and whatnot.

X50ARM 07-30-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynskey (Post 2635822)
Not a rattle since and I tried every song.

Congratulations on getting rid of the rattle, but that is alot of songs to play. :)

Dmactampa 07-30-2012 06:00 PM

Awesome. I hate the rattle and know my sub can push more but it starts to sound awful because of the rattling. I don't know where to buy this stuff but I will find it and cover everything. Thanks for the response and great job on your install Lynskey. Looks great and I'm sure it sounds just as good!!

kramer2k 07-30-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmactampa (Post 2637179)
Awesome. I hate the rattle and know my sub can push more but it starts to sound awful because of the rattling. I don't know where to buy this stuff but I will find it and cover everything. Thanks for the response and great job on your install Lynskey. Looks great and I'm sure it sounds just as good!!

Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

Educate yourself there and then give Don a call. That's his website. He's very helpful.

Lynskey 07-31-2012 07:35 AM

Yep SDS is the place to go and learn. I also threw in a half CLD tile in each side of the soundbar - above the speaker inside. I don't have much bass sent to the soundbar but I noticed that the soundbar vibrates slightly just from the sub. In fact a LOT of things vibrate.

Once you get the sub to not vibrate and sound crappy, it is a world of difference.