Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   I usually don't do this...but... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/i-usually-dont-do-this-but-167916.html)

Donkerz 06-19-2012 01:50 PM

I usually don't do this...but...

I usually never ask opinions on what to buy for my Jeep, but being a (recently graduated) high school Jeeper with limited cash, I need to make a decision whether to spend 900(US Dollars) on a hardtop, since I live in a not-so-secure country and my rear window on my soft top just had it's slider broken off by me, or spend it on much needed accessories such as a front bumper, 2" lift kit w/ suspension, winch and rear bumper. What do I do? I'm really torn up on my decision.

Donkerz 06-19-2012 01:53 PM

I also go off-roading twice a month and get into ruts where a winch would help, but my buddies always tow me out, which I don't like.

Zetsumei 06-19-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkerz
I also go off-roading twice a month and get into ruts where a winch would help, but my buddies always tow me out, which I don't like.

I'd go with the lift, bumper, and winch. I had a similar decision. But I love my soft top.

Donkerz 06-19-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetsumei (Post 2490212)
I'd go with the lift, bumper, and winch. I had a similar decision. But I love my soft top.

Even if my slider for my rear window is broken, which means I have no rear window. Also what lift bumpers and winch do you guys recommend? I say 2" is fine,but I only have 850-900 to spend so...

Zetsumei 06-19-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkerz
Even if my slider for my rear window is broken, which means I have no rear window. Also what lift bumpers and winch do you guys recommend? I say 2" is fine,but I only have 850-900 to spend so...

2"-2.5" lift is the most you'll want to do on a lower budget. As for bumpers and winch there's more room and more choices for sure.

glap1922 06-19-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkerz (Post 2490230)

Can't you just replace the window for cheaper than getting a new hard top?

Dextreme 06-19-2012 02:24 PM

I would address your main "stress" first and that is your top. If you don't address the stress, it will haunt/worry you daily until you resolve it. Then address the nice-to-haves.

Wattapunk 06-19-2012 02:38 PM

I don't think a hardtop will prevent theft more so than a softtop. Thieves could care less. Just don't leave any valuables in your jeep.I say spend $300 on a good alarm as a deterrent and the rest on a spacer lift/shocks. Think of the inconvienence of taking off/on a hardtop, along with storing it when it's topless weather.

Donkerz 06-19-2012 05:18 PM

Thanks guys for the input, and no it's not easy to just get a window because I live in Belize and everything takes 2 months to ship and duty tax is through the roof. I think I can reattach the slider thing on the rear window, but does it make sense to go for a cheaper winch? I was originally going for a Warn VR8000, the cheapest warn winch but it's still a Warn, I can get a Smittybilt 8000lb winch for like 299 so I'm torn.

InvertChaos 06-19-2012 05:21 PM

Why not get the soft top fixed?

Mctim35 06-19-2012 07:03 PM

I break the zipper on the rear window like I'm gettin paid for it. Grrr that zipper is my nemesis! I found an upholstery place that will slap a whole new zipper on for just over $100. I've also picked up a zipper repair kit off eBay that has the slider and new stops pretty cheap. Zipper-Ease works great for keeping it running smooth as long as you use it ;)