Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Pros and Cons for a stubby bumper (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/pros-and-cons-for-a-stubby-bumper-167970.html)

Cdoo68 06-19-2012 06:26 PM

Pros and Cons for a stubby bumper
 
I've been reading on how to do the stubby bumper mod, but I would like to know the pros and cons for doing the mod if you don't take your jeep off-road..:hide:.

Any inputs would be appreciated...

Cons_Table 06-19-2012 06:33 PM

I cant really think of any cons...pros I guess would be looks (depending on the owner).

This is only if you dont plan to take it offroad.

Offroad is a different story. A stubby is less to hang up/smash on the trail. Also a stubby will expose more of the front of the tire, making it easier to put your tires on or against something taller than your bumper.

Osupike 06-19-2012 08:36 PM

I would think an on-road con would be the exact opposite of the off-road pro... Tires more exposed... (Those Zombies will get hung up there in the wheel well!!!! )

JKralph 06-19-2012 08:39 PM

One con I have noticed is the cap color might not exactly match the color of the bumper, especially if your stock bumper has seen a lot of sun. Not a very big con, all things considered.

MTH 06-19-2012 08:45 PM

Beyond aesthetic preferences, there really aren't any cons onroad IMO--I'd rather have my tire bump into stuff than my bumper anyway, given how easily the stock bumper crumples.

And offroad it's definitely all pros for the reasons Cons Table stated above.

I put the RC caps on mine months ago and I'd do it again immediately if I suddenly ended up with a new jeep.

GonzoBobH 06-19-2012 08:58 PM

w00t! I am putting mine on the 21st.

ESP 06-19-2012 09:15 PM

10% extra horsepower is all I got. :rolleyes:

Up Hill Bill 06-19-2012 10:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My main reason for going stubby....

After just 1/2 mile on a gravel road after rain, here's what you get:

Attachment 133587

Not a problem now:

Attachment 133588

ShotgunRed218 06-19-2012 11:07 PM

Ooh, I like that a lot. How much were the end caps?

pluke the 2 06-19-2012 11:25 PM

My main reason for stubbies!

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...3/CIMG5309.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...he3/37s/13.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...l/CIMG4628.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...3/CIMG5474.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMG_1123.jpg

ESP 06-19-2012 11:52 PM

^ That's a pretty mean parking lot.

pluke the 2 06-19-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP
^ That's a pretty mean parking lot.

Lol. Thanks. Was trying to find milk...

ESP 06-19-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2492354)
Lol. Thanks. Was trying to find milk...

Could happen I suppose but I think if you found a cow out there you'd be better off just grilling em up.

pluke the 2 06-20-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

Could happen I suppose but I think if you found a cow out there you'd be better off just grilling em up.

Or just go through the drive through

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...e3/37s/2-2.jpg

pluke the 2 06-20-2012 12:07 AM

Oh ya repping both stubbys on both our jks

^

snochick 06-20-2012 12:46 AM

We were going to do this on ours but opted to do the fender chop and buy the bumpers we liked. Same functionality, just a personal preference on looks really.

But that stock bumper sticking out has gotta go. We've both got wear marks inside from the 35's rubbing it on the inside while disconnected. So much more clearance after getting rid of that and chopping the flares.

Cdoo68 06-20-2012 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the info, I like the VDP stubby end cap look myself, think I will be looking into doing this mod then. I still have the factory tires, I wonder if it will look weird until I upgrade the tires....:whistling:

DakotaBuck 06-20-2012 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered my VDP stubby kit today, for obvious reasons...

Attachment 133695

Rooster76 06-20-2012 11:39 AM

It's on my list
 
The only (cosmetic) con that I have run across is if you have painted/bed-lined your rims only on the outside then the unpainted side would be easier to see.

I'm wanting to try this method with the stock bumper
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2...dsc3492ky2.jpg

Here is a link to how he did the stock DIY stubby (this seems to be the best description from that thread.. It starts before this, and the picture is from one page before)

DonnyJK 06-20-2012 11:49 AM

If you had the stubby and got hit like DakotaBuck did ^^^^ i would imagine it could screw up your tire if somthing hit it straight on

DakotaBuck 06-20-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnyJK (Post 2493839)
If you had the stubby and got hit like DakotaBuck did ^^^^ i would imagine it could screw up your tire if somthing hit it straight on

Ha Ha, I didn't get hit - It was a big rock that got hit, by me!

MTH 06-20-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnyJK (Post 2493839)
If you had the stubby and got hit like DakotaBuck did ^^^^ i would imagine it could screw up your tire if somthing hit it straight on

This might work when considering various aftermarket steel bumpers, but I don't think it works with regards to the stock bumper.

Have you actually looked at the ends of the stock bumper? Either by sticking your head under your jeep, or by actually cutting them off and handling them?

They're just pieces of lightweight extruded plastic. If you hit something hard enough to actually damage your tire or steering components, whatever it was would easily go through the flimsy plastic of the stock bumper.

At most, I'd say that at low speeds the crushing of the stock bumper could provide you with an AUDIBLE clue that your tire is approaching an obstacle. But otherwise, I don't think it's going to offer any "protection" for the tire behind it.

To put in another way, I'd expect those stock bumper ends are about as good at protecting your tires as a tissue box taped to your forehead would be at protecting your face while being punched by a heavyweight boxer.

SilverSport 06-20-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2494282)
To put in another way, I'd expect those stock bumper ends are about as good at protecting your tires as a tissue box taped to your forehead would be at protecting your face while being punched by a heavyweight boxer.

I LOLed at that anology! :rofl:

taoshum 06-21-2012 11:25 AM

maybe con: you might throw a few more rocks at the stuff in front of you

strider_mt2k 06-21-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 2492157)
My main reason for going stubby....

After just 1/2 mile on a gravel road after rain, here's what you get:

Attachment 133587

Not a problem now:

Attachment 133588


Yeah that is annoying and one of the reasons I did mine too.

EDIT

LOL at the tissue box analogy. Quite apt.

mcdull 02-26-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2494282)
At most, I'd say that at low speeds the crushing of the stock bumper could provide you with an AUDIBLE clue that your tire is approaching an obstacle. But otherwise, I don't think it's going to offer any "protection" for the tire behind it.

To put in another way, I'd expect those stock bumper ends are about as good at protecting your tires as a tissue box taped to your forehead would be at protecting your face while being punched by a heavyweight boxer.

I'm looking for information on getting a new bumper after finally got a check from a valet company who drove my Jeep into another car. Only the corner, exactly the plastic piece end you guys hated, got dent and cracked. I think both sides will be worse if without that plastic piece.

I think that plastic end does function more than said here. Just like most plastic bumper, it will do the job to deflect high speed flying objects kicked up by the cars in front, it happened a lot on the freeway here, rather than it will go straight to your wheel or wheel well. And I think it will cause less harm to the pedestrians than hitting them with the hard part or a rolling wheel.

Anyway, I'm more leaning to get those modular ones so I can customize it whenever I like :)

gr8fulKID 02-27-2013 12:01 AM

Some states require you to have a full width front bumper. NJ is one of them but I have never had a problem. The state also requires an

elevated vehicle approval certificate for tires 4 inches larger than stock, body lift, coil lift

no wheel spacers

full width bumpers

fender flares covering tires 100 %

limit to the amount of lights you have and a height restriction

Point is... I know a bunch of guys, myself included that go against these regulations. Check your states lift laws and be aware of it but you shouldn't have a problem.

flyinion 02-27-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3426341)
Some states require you to have a full width front bumper. NJ is one of them but I have never had a problem.

Wow I never thought about something like that. Surprisingly, I just checked the California vehicle code, and CA one of the worst states for modding your vehicle says nothing about the width. Just that all vehicles must have a front and rear bumper unless originally sold without it.

Hokieneer 02-27-2013 09:14 AM

one pro I can think of for full-width bumper is deer protection

gr8fulKID 02-27-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinion (Post 3426499)
Wow I never thought about something like that. Surprisingly, I just checked the California vehicle code, and CA one of the worst states for modding your vehicle says nothing about the width. Just that all vehicles must have a front and rear bumper unless originally sold without it.

Yeah... The lift laws are usually something I check up on whenever I plan on doing anything. Even though I have never had a problem, certain parts of NJ have cops that are , well you know, asses. My vote goes to the stubby.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.