Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   doors off for the summer... could get a ticket (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/doors-off-for-the-summer-could-get-a-ticket-168550.html)

SJS 06-22-2012 07:49 AM

doors off for the summer... could get a ticket

Ok I want to take my doors off for the summer. But I was wondering if I could get a ticket for not having my side mirrors.... I will be driving in NY and NJ

countrybassist 06-22-2012 07:51 AM

I know that in NJ you need 2 mirrors. A rear view mirror and a drivers side mirror. I don't know about NY. And yes you'll get a ticket.

SJS 06-22-2012 07:57 AM

that sucks so I cant have my doors off :(

Cosmic Charlie 06-22-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS (Post 2501867)

Yes you can, you just need to relocate your mirrors or get crafty and add aftermarket ones. All of us have had to do the same thing as most states require a minimum of 2 backward facing mirrors (rearview and driver side).

SJS 06-22-2012 08:00 AM

what did you do...

g3cko 06-22-2012 08:02 AM

Search the forums for threads. A lot of people are coming up with different solutions. Ive seen blind spot mirrors mounted on vents to motorcycle mirrors being used.

Stromson 06-22-2012 08:03 AM

Wrangler mirror relocation

Sorry, couldn't resist.

sunnykk 06-22-2012 08:05 AM

A quick fix is to do this for the time being.

Close your heating vent on the drivers and passengers side and put this on it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...UL._SS400_.jpg

Amazon.com: Car Side View Blind Spot Round Convex Mirrors 2 Pcs: Car Electronics

countrybassist 06-22-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS (Post 2501867)

Sure you can. Just put a mirror on. The're a lot of options to do so.

SJS 06-22-2012 08:11 AM

I am trying to find something cheap and fast. I want to take my doors off tonight

Cosmic Charlie 06-22-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS (Post 2501905)
I am trying to find something cheap and fast. I want to take my doors off tonight

Cheap and fast (and legal) would be SunnyKK's solution. Run to an auto parts store and get a couple of round blind-side mirrors ($3). Close your air vent and stick one one. Here, Seadog did it as well:

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...8/DSCI0041.jpg

g3cko 06-22-2012 08:16 AM

Go to the harley dealer and get a set of long stem mirrors.

SJS 06-22-2012 08:16 AM

its legal???

SJS 06-22-2012 08:17 AM

plus I only need it on the drivers side right

Cosmic Charlie 06-22-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS (Post 2501929)
its legal???

That is what I have been told.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS (Post 2501930)
plus I only need it on the drivers side right

Yes.

SJS 06-22-2012 08:24 AM

do you think I am going to get stopped alot

SJS 06-22-2012 08:28 AM

am I reading this right?? it sounds like in NY I will be OK no ticket but in NJ I need the outside mirror... am I reading this right??

New Jersey: Quote: Originally Posted by lis.njleg.state.nj.us 39:3-71. Mirrors Every motor vehicle shall have rear view mirrors so located and angled as to give the driver adequate rear view vision. Every passenger automobile manufactured after January 1, 1965 and registered in this State, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side. On and after January 1, 1965, every commercial motor vehicle registered in this State, other than a trailer or semitrailer, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side, except that every such vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct or obscure a rear view from an interior mirror shall, in lieu of an interior mirror, be equipped with an exterior mirror on the side of the vehicle opposite the driver's side. The director may by regulation establish other mirror requirements for special or unusual types of vehicles. Any person operating a motor vehicle without the equipment prescribed by this section shall, on conviction, be fined as provided in Revised Statutes 39:3-79.

Amended by L.1964, c. 119, s. 1.

New York: Quote: Originally Posted by nysgtsc.state.ny.us Mirrors

10. a. Every motor vehicle, when driven or operated upon a public highway, shall be equipped with a mirror or other reflecting device so adjusted that the operator of such vehicle shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

b. In addition to the above requirements, an omnibus having a capacity of ten or more passengers registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after July first, nineteen hundred seventy, shall be equipped with a mirror attached to the right side of such vehicle and so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

c. Every passenger motor vehicle registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred sixty-nine, and designated as a nineteen hundred seventy or subsequent year model, shall be equipped with adjustable interior mirrors meeting specifications established by the commissioner which specifications may provide minimum and maximum reflectance values.

d. Every new passenger-type motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, manufactured for sale in New York state on or after January first, in the year next succeeding the effective date of this paragraph shall be manufactured with an interior rear-view mirror of the selective position prismatic type with a reflectance value in the night driving position of at least four percent; or its functional equivalent. For purposes of this section, "passenger-type motor vehicle" shall mean any motor vehicle with a seating capacity of not more than fifteen adults, not including the driver, that is equipped with one or more rear windows. Any violation of the provisions of this paragraph by any manufacturer shall constitute an offense and shall be punishable by a civil fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars for each offense.

e. Every single-unit motor vehicle registered in this state, operated for commercial purposes and having a cube style or enclosed walk-in delivery bay, where such delivery bay has a length of eight feet six inches or more, but not exceeding a length of eighteen feet, shall be equipped with a cross-view back-up mirror system, rear video system, rear object detection system, or other device, which enables the driver of the vehicle to detect by means of a visual, or visual and audible warning-indicator, persons and objects located directly behind the vehicle. The commissioner is hereby authorized to promulgate regulations providing specifications for mirrors or other devices as required by this paragraph.

10-a. It shall be unlawful after July first, nineteen hundred sixty-seven to operate on any public highway in this state any motor vehicle registered in this state, manufactured or assembled on or after such date, and designated as a nineteen hundred sixty-eight or later model, unless such vehicle is equipped with an adjustable side view mirror which shall be affixed to the left outside of such vehicle and which shall be adjustable so that the operator of such vehicle may have a clear view of the road and condition of traffic on the left side and to the rear of such vehicle

Cosmic Charlie 06-22-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS (Post 2501958)
do you think I am going to get stopped alot

I think you're worrying too much.

SJS 06-22-2012 08:38 AM

why.. I just don't want to get pulled over or a ticket.... do you guys think you get pulled over more with the doors off?

brianbrooke21 06-22-2012 08:42 AM

I'm in IL. Got stopped for speeding and the cop said nothing. It is law here too. Got a pair of mirrors on Quadratec for $60. Not good for seeing anything but keeps me legal.

Cosmic Charlie 06-22-2012 08:43 AM

There is a possibility of getting pulled over...the probability of it, though, is very low.

SJS 06-22-2012 08:46 AM

brianbrooke21 which mirrors did you get

dsergison 06-22-2012 08:54 AM

Gosh your whiny.

This is America. We don't shoot people for missing mirrors. The worst you'll get is a good tasering and your face ground into the pavement and a knee in the back, and maybe a free overnighter, a meal and a cavity search.

Relax man. :thumb:

SJS 06-22-2012 08:56 AM

LMAO @ dsergisn... I just don't want to look to get pulled over. I like SunnyKK's solution but I still need my vents

FirstTimeJeeper 06-22-2012 09:01 AM

SJS, just went through the same conversation on another thread. I'm in VA and you have to have at least a driver's side mirror. I went to my local auto parts store (Pep Boys) and found mirrors ($16 each - figured I'd put one on both sides) and I'm going to work on the install this weekend. The only other thing recommended to make them fit directly onto the door hinges was nuts and bolts from Home Depot. I got two 3/8" x 2" bolts and two 3/8" nuts. also got some plastic washers to protect the paint (got 4 of those). here is a link to the site that someone recommended to me.

Jeep Doorless Budget Mirror Mount

Jimmiseitz 06-22-2012 09:02 AM

I ride around in Jersey all the time without the mirrors. No hassle, By the way most police officers like me dont pull jeeps over because its the vehicle of choice in the departments all around NJ. If you get stopped it might be so the officer can see what you have done to your jeep so he can get Ideas.....Just sayin..... They make a mirror thats real legit for around 20 bucks. Go buy one, and just stress in the meantime before it arrives.

Cosmic Charlie 06-22-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS (Post 2502055)
LMAO @ dsergisn... I just don't want to look to get pulled over. I like SunnyKK's solution but I still need my vents

It doesn't block the vent. the vent is still fully functional. Just close that one vent when you need the mirror. You still have numerous other vents to blow air.

pkmcd99 06-22-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJS

Get a motorcycle mirror, mount it on your hinges

pkmcd99 06-22-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie

Cheap and fast (and legal) would be SunnyKK's solution. Run to an auto parts store and get a couple of round blind-side mirrors ($3). Close your air vent and stick one one. Here, Seadog did it as well:

This is interesting, but in Maine the mirror must give Clear, Unobstructed view of at least 200ft of roadway behind vehicle. Im not sure about clear view with a three inch stick on, on your vent. Clever idea though

SJS 06-22-2012 09:30 AM

any photos pkmcd99... how much did it cost