Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Torn in Tucson (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/torn-in-tucson-168738.html)

UproarinSonoran 06-23-2012 01:13 AM

Torn in Tucson

I have owned a 2011 Unlimited 4dr for over a year. I have put 32000+ on it having a freaking blast! BUT I have a huge concern. Today I was braking and making a left turn across traffic into a parking lot and my engine stalled. Steering control, brakes, and obviously acceleration died instantly, placing me and my 3 year old daughter in the path of oncoming cross traffic. I luckily coasted across the lanes and onto the curb of the parking lot.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!! I looked it up and NHTSA has an investigation on 2011 3.6L engines for stalling during braking. WHAT THE HECK???? Why is my Jeep trying to kill me?

snochick 06-23-2012 03:28 AM

Do you mean 2012? BC 2011 and prior jk was a 3.8. I'm not asking this to be rude. I just own both and I'd like to read up on this.

KittyPrawn 06-23-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snochick (Post 2505477)
Do you mean 2012? BC 2011 and prior jk was a 3.8. I'm not asking this to be rude. I just own both and I'd like to read up on this.

If he's owned it for over a year, it would have to be a 2011. I'm guessing he has the 3.6 wrong if that's the case.

UproarinSonoran 06-23-2012 11:26 AM

Of course, you are correct. 3.8L. I guess I saw the identical problem in the NHTSA report and jumped to conclusions. My fault for being so ignorant of my own vehicle. I am new to this whole Jeep experience and should exercise more judicious posts next time.

Any info would be appreciated. We are very hesitant to drive it with our kids in it now.

KittyPrawn 06-23-2012 11:38 AM

Honestly, the best thing to do is to take it in. The annoying thing about electrical issues is that they aren't always easily reproduceable.

snochick 06-23-2012 12:00 PM

I understand. I've got twin 4 year olds that ride around with us in ours. So that would worry me too. I'd definitely take it in to the dealer.

GonzoBobH 06-23-2012 01:03 PM

I had an electrical problem with my 2012. Was a ground issue which the dealer found and corrected. Mine just flashed everything - all dash lights - and then wouldn't start. When it did start, long minutes later, all the dash lights stayed on and none of the gauges worked (e.g. speedometer). As I drove to the dealer it was making a horrible engine whine...

Anyway, it's fixed..

PS In Tucson, too

snochick 06-23-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoBobH
I had an electrical problem with my 2012. Was a ground issue which the dealer found and corrected. Mine just flashed everything - all dash lights - and then wouldn't start. When it did start, long minutes later, all the dash lights stayed on and none of the gauges worked (e.g. speedometer). As I drove to the dealer it was making a horrible engine whine...

Anyway, it's fixed..

PS In Tucson, too

That happened when we bought our 2011. Dealer said they suspected the people that installed the alarm. We originally bought a 2010 but they couldn't seem to fix it. Mechanic just couldn't figure out where the wiring was wrong. Worked out well for us bc they got a 2011 with all our preferences and color choice for the same price as the 2010. And since we were buying a '10 with '11's on the lot it was a pretty smoking deal on a rubi. Lol