Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Free soft top? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/free-soft-top-168856.html)

Prestonlesley 06-23-2012 05:02 PM

Free soft top?

Just took delivery of my 2012 altitude with dual top group on friday... to get the price down we negotiated they remove the soft top and keep the hard top only. When they brought it to my house to drop it off a week later they left the soft top attached? should i sell it? whats a good price? should i leave it rolled up in the back and attached or take it out?

OL Sarge 06-23-2012 05:08 PM

If your getting rid of the soft top let me know 2 dr or 4?

Prestonlesley 06-23-2012 05:13 PM

sorry im new to the forum... 4 door

andre1002 06-23-2012 05:16 PM

Sell it. :D

spankinkopita 06-23-2012 05:17 PM

Hold on to it in case the dealer bills you for it, at list for a little while.

Prestonlesley 06-23-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankinkopita (Post 2507011)
Hold on to it in case the dealer bills you for it, at list for a little while.

you right!

spankinkopita 06-23-2012 05:53 PM

And by the time pipe blows over you might want two tops

OH9JK 06-23-2012 08:12 PM

I agree...hold on to it for awhile just in case the dealer comes back for it.

1Chance75 06-23-2012 08:27 PM

Definitely hold onto it. Even if the dealer doesn't call looking for it (which I doubt he will), you're going to want it later. In a year from now the money you got from selling it wouldn't make any difference to you, but you will wish you had the soft top.

Up Hill Bill 06-23-2012 09:07 PM

Sorry guys. I'm kinda old fashioned. I'd let the dealer know of their mistake and tell them they can come get it they need it back.

Honesty is always the best policy, IMO. :hide:

flyhigh 06-23-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 2507562)
Sorry guys. I'm kinda old fashioned. I'd let the dealer know of their mistake and tell them they can come get it they need it back.

I agree. I mean, where would we be if dealers weren't always honest with you about the best possible price they could give to you?

spankinkopita 06-23-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyhigh

I agree. I mean, where would we be if dealers weren't always honest with you about the best possible price they could give to you?

Ow
I would check the build sheet, if its on there they most likely charged you, and if you are financing, what is the extra seven bucks a payment

Prestonlesley 06-23-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankinkopita (Post 2507582)
Ow
I would check the build sheet, if its on there they most likely charged you, and if you are financing, what is the extra seven bucks a payment

paid cash... and only got 4k off asking price very crappy deal imho... im going to sell it

spankinkopita 06-23-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestonlesley

paid cash... and only got 4k off asking price very crappy deal imho... im going to sell it

Be aware oem price is almost $1700, dont get hit in the back end by the dealership

Prestonlesley 06-23-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankinkopita (Post 2507662)
Be aware oem price is almost $1700, dont get hit in the back end by the dealership

true again... im going to keep it awhile

AMangum 06-23-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyhigh

I agree with Bill. Not because I care about the dealer per say, but Karma is a cruel wench and always comes calling when you are least prepared. :)

wassup8687 06-23-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I agree.

Up Hill Bill 06-23-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wassup8687 (Post 2507800)
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I agree.

I'm afraid we're few and far between, my friend....

spankinkopita 06-23-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill

I'm afraid we're few and far between, my friend....

Please don't think I would recommend keeping something unpaid for, just be sure it want paid for before giving it up. No, promise the charge isn't there already and the dealer may just take it back without compensation. The relationship you have with your dealer should guide your actions. I am a softy, I even give back the tools they leave under my hood after a service

Up Hill Bill 06-23-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankinkopita (Post 2507909)
Please don't think I would recommend keeping something unpaid for, just be sure it want paid for before giving it up. No, promise the charge isn't there already and the dealer may just take it back without compensation. The relationship you have with your dealer should guide your actions. I am a softy, I even give back the tools they leave under my hood after a service

:thumb: I didn't get that from your posts. And, I agree the OP better make sure the dealer didn't charge him for it! If there isn't a written notation on the sales agreement subtracting $XXX from the price as a credit against the dealer keeping the top, the OP paid for it!

Tumbleweed 06-23-2012 11:20 PM

Let the dealer know. If you DID actually pay for it, then you can keep it wit a clear conscience.

50 Something 06-24-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

X2 Bill.

I ordered after must confusion a storage unit for the Hard Top, Freedom Tops and Doors and they didn't even ask if I paid when I picked it up. I was like DAH! Hey guys are you giving me this or should I pay?

The assistant Parts manager said I thought you allready paid, because my Boss never special orders anything without payment. I told him I was a unique case after all the crap I went through, since they didn't even know they could get the dag gum thing.

It gets better. I bought a Jeep hat and told the cashier I had to pay for the storage unit, and if she would please put the hat along with that transaction at the same time. Guess what? I was in a hurry and could not get out of there fast enough after all of the confusion, here they come chasing me down, and I'm Like WTF is going on now. The young man said I needed to see the lady.

Come to find out they still didn't bill me for the storage unit. True story, and I've told it to a couple of people, which said you should have kept your mouth shut in the 1st place and my reply was what you said. Thank God for honest folks in this crazy world.

Link to the Unit they wanted to give me free: LOL

Storage System for Hard Top and Doors - 82210645 | Mopar

50 Something

daggo66 06-24-2012 01:34 AM

In any event the soft top must be removed. It is only on there for transportation purposes. In order to due so, you must remove the hard top. You also should have received two boxes which contain the windows and door surrounds.

Wrong Way Hal 06-24-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Absolutely !!!! Let the dealership know.

Look at it this way, if you ordered some option on the JK and it wasn't provided by the dealer, wouldn't you/most of us be screaming about the situation?

And another posting talked about Karma. The world is bad enough as it is, you do NOT want any bad karma following you around.

Regards.

kabory 06-24-2012 11:13 AM

You can pretty much sell it fast all day long for $750.00, Thats what I just sold mine for after starting at $1000.00. Have seen alot of them lately selling for $750.00. If you do get a buyer, ck to see if they already have the roll bar mounts. I removed mine and let them go with the sale. They are attached to roll bar from factory.

Posts On Percocet 06-24-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankinkopita (Post 2507662)

In the end it's going to be he said, she said. They'll say "where is it?", and he'll say, "where is what?"

They'll never be able to prove it and that'll probably be it. Maybe a letter or two from their lawyers but I doubt $1700 is worth it for them to go to court. Besides, again, how can they prove it?

As far as karma? BS Total BS. As much as I wish it weren't true, there is NO SUCH THING. Otherwise most of our politicians and wall street types would die horrible, slow, deaths. Instead they are rich and in power.

Karma = no such thing.

carguyco 06-24-2012 04:55 PM

Think about the guy who made the mistake and left it in there?
What if you made a mistake at your job resulting in a loss for your company?

say what you will about dealerships...guess what..all of us working at them are still human beings, capable of making mistakes, capable of crying and laughing and loving and hating....and yes..some of them are capable of taking a bunch of your money...but human none the less.

JPzilla 06-24-2012 09:05 PM

First make sure you weren't charged for it. If you weren't charged then do the right thing. Just my 2 cents.

Prestonlesley 06-24-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPzilla (Post 2510425)
First make sure you weren't charged for it. If you weren't charged then do the right thing. Just my 2 cents.

they were supposed to take off 1750 found the bill and they only took off 300...

Up Hill Bill 06-24-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestonlesley (Post 2510553)
they were supposed to take off 1750 found the bill and they only took off 300...

Then, it sounds like you own the soft top fair and square, if you want it. But I doubt you can sell it for the $1450 the dealer beat you out of.

If you have something in writing, I'd hold the dealer to it and demand an additional $1450 refund for the top. If the deal was just oral, the dealer will probably act like he never heard of it. lesson learned....