Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   Spacers? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/spacers-168949.html)

CJ-John 06-24-2012 05:57 AM

Spacers?

I was rereading my thread on Narrow vrs. Wide track and spacers were mentioned so my question is how much do spacers help and do the cause any issues? As it is my 31's fit with now clearance problems with no lift. I think the back would be fine but won't spacers cause the front steering to swing the tires in a larger arc? and possible cause interference?

Dempsey 06-24-2012 08:28 AM

I am running 1.25" Spidertrax spacers on my cj which also has NT axles. This adds 2.5" of width total. NT vs WT I believe is around 4" so makes up over 1/2.

Wider axle makes for better steering in this situation because it allows the wheels to turn more before hitting the leaf spring. I am on 33" tires and the tires without spacers were limited my turning a good bit. After spacers I still had to adjust my turning back with stops but was a noticeable improvement offroad in tight situations.

I do not know how much if any issues you will have with turning on 31's. It would be a easy test to see by putting it on jacks. I did see some onroad improvement, less getting pulled from one groove in the road to the other due to being narrower than most vehicles.

My recommendation would be to do both the front and rear. The rear axle is already narrower than the front so only adding spacers to the front may cause it to look a little different. As far as maint. I have had mine for several months but probably only have between 500 and 1000 miles on them. I followed the instructions and used red loctite as recommended.

Cj7otr 06-24-2012 10:47 AM

I ran 1" spacers on my NT for years on my DD CJ7 with no problem. I finally upgraded to WT. i never noticed a difference in steering. All the WT does is move to knuckles out wider. So if your tires/knuckles don't rub with NT/spacers you shouldn't have a change.

computeruser 06-24-2012 11:35 AM

To OP: What problem are you trying to solve with spacers?

CJ-John 06-24-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruser (Post 2509014)
To OP: What problem are you trying to solve with spacers?

I think for the most part the spacers would be used for looks (wider track tough look) as in some case's tire rub on springs. in my case it would simply be for appearance and stability

computeruser 06-24-2012 05:52 PM

I'd try to find wheels with the proper backspacing before I went and bolted on spacers. Spacers, though they can be reliable, are another variable that introduces risk of failure, and if possible should be avoided.

CJ-John 06-25-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruser (Post 2509907)
I'd try to find wheels with the proper backspacing before I went and bolted on spacers. Spacers, though they can be reliable, are another variable that introduces risk of failure, and if possible should be avoided.

I agree, it just is an available option. I will eventually go to wide track axles or scout axles if I can find a set reasonable.