Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Subwoofer Wiring (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/subwoofer-wiring-169066.html)

CarolinaBound 06-24-2012 06:34 PM

Subwoofer Wiring

3 Attachment(s)
Hi forum! So for my first post I need some help with what the title states, wiring up my sub. I bought the jeep a few weeks ago( my money, not daddy's) as-is no warranty. There was a sub in a custom box taking up the whole console, but it wasn't wired up. Now I'm no wiring expert, but the sub has the wiring of a home stereo speaker it seems, and every picture I see of a wrangler sub has a whole wiring harness plus one wire. Basically Sub has two wires out, jeep has one wire to where sub would be.

Cliffs:
-Sub has different wiring from wrangler stock sub
- two wires from sub, one from jeep
- what do?
Sorry for large size, not a photo expert either

CarolinaBound 06-25-2012 07:27 PM

Anyone please?

HD Wrangler 06-25-2012 09:16 PM

Have you searched the forum? Seems I have seen something like this mentioned before.

CarolinaBound 06-26-2012 04:55 PM

I dug through the first 3 pages late last night, and most of them relate to building a box like this one. They show the whole process of making and inserting, but cut off when its time to wire it up =\

stretch05 06-29-2012 06:55 PM

A sub is just a large speaker. It too takes speakers wire like "home speakers". For good subs, they need lots of power because of their size. That's why you get an amp, which also runs a 12 volt wire, ground wire and remote turn on.

willybTJ 06-30-2012 12:48 AM

Looking at the size of the sub and the fact you said it took up the entire console I would say you bought a jeep with an aftermarket sub and no amp.

The stock sub/amp combo splits the console space and the power from the amp cant run anything over 6" mid sub worth a darn. I would forget the wiring, and start searching for an amp.

If u have no amp, then ur problems r bigger than the one wire.

As far as the wire goes you need to track it through the car to its source. The previous owner probably tapped one of his reg audio wires.

CarolinaBound 06-30-2012 06:20 PM

Thank you for the responses. I'll take off the consoles and everything off again after my college orientation. Any amp suggestions?

willybTJ 07-01-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaBound (Post 2532062)
Thank you for the responses. I'll take off the consoles and everything off again after my college orientation. Any amp suggestions?

Honestly, since your heading into college and driving a jeep I would say an amp that is cheap and you won't go nutz if it gets stolen. :banghead:

It really depends on how good that sub is and if that's all you plan on running in the future. IMO and If I were you, I would get a Boss/Pyramid/or Pyle amp off of Amazon or ebay...cheap.

You can get a Boss Monobloc for $60 with 250w RMS or a Boss 2-Channel for $35 with 100w RMS.

Basically, their cheap, they get the job done to some degree and you won't cry if they get stolen.

dawg548 07-01-2012 02:53 PM

I'm not there to look at what you have. What I would do is turn on the jeep and check that blue and black wire for power with a multimeter. It could be attached to the ignition to power the amp (that is no longer there). The other wires probably ran to the input side on the amp and then there were output wires to the speaker. They probably had the amp grounded to the body. Like I said, I don't know what exactly you got going on but a multimeter and some testing will identify what is what.