Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Auto headlights... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/auto-headlights-169384.html)

Navysob 06-25-2012 09:21 PM

Auto headlights...

Ok, I have a 12 JKU Sport S without auto headlights. My wife's Sahara has them. What can I do to add them? Has anyone done it? Anyone know part numbers?

Thanks Sean

GeckoJK 06-25-2012 09:45 PM

It would definitely require some wiring mods. The Sport isnt available with the auto headlights.

ShaunWV 06-25-2012 10:03 PM

Just get yourself an AEV Procal. Among other handy dandy things it allows you to run your factory fog lights like daytime running lights.

2012-Rubicon 06-25-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunWV
Just get yourself an AEV Procal. Among other handy dandy things it allows you to run your factory fog lights like daytime running lights.

Not sure that actually helps him do what he wants. I don't personally understand why he would want auto headlights I can't stand the damn things

HAFICON 06-25-2012 10:13 PM

well it is good for an insurance discount if nothing else..

GeckoJK 06-25-2012 10:34 PM

I already have factory DRLs as they are mandatory in Canada. i think for a Sport to have auto headlights would require alterations to the wiring and possible a new light stalk. i doubt it would be worth the expense.

simadownow6988 06-25-2012 10:42 PM

DEI makes a auto light kit you can wire in. It comes with a control box, wiring, and a light sensor. Its only 30 bucks too. Ive installed one in my wifes previous vehicle. Pretty easy.

Heres a link:
Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 545T Nite-Lite System (D): Car Electronics

kjeeper10 06-25-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunWV

:whistling:

n3tfury 06-25-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-Rubicon (Post 2514289)
I don't personally understand why he would want auto headlights I can't stand the damn things

Glad you pitched in with that. We were all wondering.

Up Hill Bill 06-25-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simadownow6988 (Post 2514410)
DEI makes a auto light kit you can wire in. It comes with a control box, wiring, and a light sensor. Its only 30 bucks too. Ive installed one in my wifes previous vehicle. Pretty easy.

Heres a link:
Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 545T Nite-Lite System (D): Car Electronics

Better read the customer reviews. They're generally very good, except this one:

Quote:

1.0 out of 5 stars great idea, but!!!
Thought this was a great idea for my Jeep Wrangler. Seems to be only aftermarket system out there. Not compatible with my Jeep. Didn't find this out until after I bought it - Amazon was great about the return though. Also, the installation booklet says that Hi Beams will no longer work. Didn't say that in the ad!

Published on January 17, 2010 by Michael Girmonde
Doesn't sound good......

simadownow6988 06-25-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 2514454)
Better read the customer reviews. They're generally very good, except this one:

Doesn't sound good......

Thats weird. Didnt read the reviews. I put this kit in a VW Tiguan. I did have to add another relay, but I got it to work. Im sure I could get it to work in the Jeep since Im a MECP installer and know electronics, but it might be a task for the average Joe.

Up Hill Bill 06-25-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simadownow6988 (Post 2514480)
Thats weird. Didnt read the reviews. I put this kit in a VW Tiguan. I did have to add another relay, but I got it to work. Im sure I could get it to work in the Jeep since Im a MECP installer and know electronics, but it might be a task for the average Joe.

At just 30 bucks, it might be worth a try for the OP. With just a little electronics know-how, it should be doable.

I have to admit that I've had auto headlights in my last few vehicles and my current Wrangler, but I have never used the auto setting, don't see the point. But, I understand the OP's desire to mod his Jeep in the way he wants. He should go for it! Heck, $30, and if you chicken out, Amazon is great at refunds....:thumb:

2012-Rubicon 06-26-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simadownow6988

Probably has a little to do with the fact that the lighting in the wrangler is controlled via the CAN bus and not positive/negative triggers....though I'm sure where there's a will there's a way.

davefr 06-26-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Not sure that actually helps him do what he wants. I don't personally understand why he would want auto headlights I can't stand the damn things

Why??

Most people are too stupid to realize that lights help others see them in marginal conditions. Auto headlights are great.

2012-Rubicon 06-26-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefr

Why??

Most people are too stupid to realize that lights help others see them in marginal conditions. Auto headlights are great.

So what you just said is that you are one of the stupid people? Because you can't tell when its a good idea to turn your lights on? I'm a bit confused. I can't blame the guy for wanting a feature he doesn't have. However I was just saying that I find them useless because they never seem to turn on when I think they should.....so I just do it the old fashioned way......

davefr 06-26-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-Rubicon (Post 2515397)
So what you just said is that you are one of the stupid people? Because you can't tell when its a good idea to turn your lights on?

No it's the other idiots on the road saying "I can see just fine" without realizing that others might not be able to see them in marginal conditions.

I don't like the idea of having to make vehicles idiot proof but this is such a simple feature and I have yet to see a downside.

Most vehicles with automatic headlights have full on/full off override capability.

ohioviper 09-23-2012 07:47 PM

Anyone come across the needed parts to do this on a 2012 or 2013 ? Im sure its just a matter of adding the auto multi function switch and maybe adding a relay to the fuse box . Anyone have a picture of the auto headlight control ?

tomthbomb 09-23-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Same here. Have them. Don't like them. Some functions are better done manually.

ohioviper 09-23-2012 09:28 PM

We have them on our 2012 RAM and love them. Never think about the headlights again. Leave switch on auto and just drive.Really am wanting to see what is needed to install on my Sport.

Jeep-TTH 09-23-2012 10:24 PM

I had them on my chevy, when i bought my jeep I was shocked that they didn't have auto headlights... but I did buy the sport.

scuba_steve 09-23-2012 10:48 PM

I have them and like them, but wish they turned on faster. At dusk, I am always tempted to turn them on myself.

Jakesdad 09-24-2012 01:42 AM

I have them but don't use them because I don't know if I can trust them. What if the sensor fails? Will my lights go out at night at a bad time? I don't know. It's not a hassle for me to turn them on and off myself anyway.

ohioviper 09-26-2012 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found some parts. For the ones with auto headlights. Do you also have fog lights ?

Mopar Parts Online Wholesale Prices

Hilldweller 09-26-2012 02:08 PM

My PW came with auto-dim mirrors, auto headlights, power seat ----- all things I'd rather not have.
At least the Chrysler electronics have proven themselves unreliable. I got that going for me.

davefr 09-27-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 2831860)
Found some parts. For the ones with auto headlights. Do you also have fog lights ?

That's good information. Is this all that's required to add them to a Sport?

Do you know if the wiring harness is already in place? Where does the sensor go?

Thanks

Jeffola 03-04-2014 09:57 AM

Has anyone tried the oem parts route on this ?

dansb 03-04-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffola (Post 8758937)
Has anyone tried the oem parts route on this ?

Have never seen any reports of someone trying this on a JK. Found this link in the search about someone making this work on a challenger. Maybe with the proper jeep parts it can happen.

adding auto headlamps (challenger) - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Jeffola 03-16-2014 05:03 PM

I had my dash apart, I see the sun sensor wiring is in place, I would imagine its just a matter of plug and play, the switch and sensor are reasonable, will programming need to be done?

Jeffola 03-16-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 2831860)

I wish I knew part #'s, I have looked the parts up and find them, but add to cart and no part numbers exist. I really want to add this using factory parts.

jp2611 03-16-2014 05:28 PM

My wife's Camry had them and had "issues"..our '12 Sport does not have them, our '13 300 has them and they seem fine on it...but it also has a funky looking day time light anyway. Our '14 JKU Polar has them but I don't think the wife uses them I rarely drive that Jeep maybe a couple 3 miles a week...I prefer my TJ..... :)