Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   The Jeep "Mystique" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/the-jeep-mystique-16946.html)

hmenker 03-23-2008 10:05 PM

The Jeep "Mystique"

Ever wondered just how mesmerizing to the world the word "Jeep" really is? Of course we owners know all about it because we live it every day, but I am amazed at how the rest of the world is subconsciously affected as well. Whenever I read a newspaper accident report, most cars, trucks and SUVs are simply listed as such. But, if there's a Jeep involved in the accident, the brand name "Jeep" is nearly always mentioned. Even the model type often is listed as well. Brands other than Jeep are seldom to never mentioned by name. Of all the terrorist car bombings world-wide I never saw a brand name of any vehicle mentioned until last year with a bombing in England. In this bombing a Jeep Grand Cherokee was used and the brand and model was listed in the media reports around the world! The Jeep mystique even applies to bombed vehicles! Reach beack into your brain cells and let me know if you agree with this Jeep mystique. It's a Jeep thing; you wouldn't understand. How appropriate!

Levinoss 03-23-2008 10:53 PM

I noticed it

I also notice there are a lot of wranglers on tv and movies and most people don't even notice them.

~Lev

distortedtj 03-23-2008 10:56 PM

yep

RatherBNarizona 03-24-2008 12:31 AM

yeah i notice
some people say
"yeah thats my car"
"yeah I drive a truck"
me: "yeah theres my Jeep" :)

jpdocdave 03-24-2008 08:34 AM

right on, just like we all ask for a kleenex, buy a coke, and a copy machine is a xerox machine.

Walkeraviator 03-24-2008 10:56 AM

Brand Managment is a huge deal. In other countries, the term SUV doesnt exist. All SUV's are called Jeeps. This is common throughout Africa, and i had some Indian Students who did the same thing.

jpdocdave 03-24-2008 11:04 AM

ya, i know a guy from italy, they have a thing dalled a diatsu rocky. he thinks its made by mitsubishi or something under the name diatsu, they just call it a jeep. i got all confused cuz he would talk about that, and then call it a jeep, i thought we were talking about two different things

Loo 03-24-2008 01:19 PM

The Chinese refer to SUV's as "Jeeps". I hosted a few people from China last year when I had a Honda Element (nice but not a Jeep). When they saw the E, they were all excited that they were going to get to ride in a "jeep".

TerryFaust 04-11-2009 12:32 AM

i must say im not a huge fan of the new 4dr JK's but putting it in the movie twilight and making it look as sexy as it did made me like that one... still not a big fan of others... idk why im not a huge fan of them...

orange05tj 04-11-2009 12:38 AM

^I'm starting to think that your not a huge fan of 4dr JK's

TerryFaust 04-11-2009 12:40 AM

lol what gave that away

miwoodar 04-14-2009 04:18 PM

My wife is just getting over calling all other two-door SUVs Jeeps. We laugh about it all the time because I always felt obligated to immediately correct her. She used to be so bad that even a four-door Range Rover was called a Jeep.

wreckchick 04-14-2009 07:44 PM

All through the islands anything Suzuki, Honda, Range Rover, etc. that's boxy and tall-ish is a Jeep. Not easy to actually Jeep shop when you ask if anyone is selling one and get pitched on a Sidekick.

me: No, I mean an actual Jeep.

them: <cocks head>

Rachel

edit to add: I also have a hard time with Grand Cherokees being Jeeps, that's not at all what I mean when I say it.

tiny terror 04-14-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryFaust (Post 352972)
i must say im not a huge fan of the new 4dr JK's but putting it in the movie twilight and making it look as sexy as it did made me like that one... still not a big fan of others... idk why im not a huge fan of them...

Twilight? You saw Twilight? Ok, you're banned. Go now.

jpdocdave 04-14-2009 10:23 PM

what? the jeep "mistake" ya, i know all about it. we've all made it, poor unsuspecting suckers by a vehicle that seems kinda cool. then its all over, i now have 4 "mistakes":D

jgano23 04-14-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 355372)
what? the jeep "mistake" ya, i know all about it. we've all made it, poor unsuspecting suckers by a vehicle that seems kinda cool. then its all over, i now have 4 "mistakes":D

:rofl:. how freakin true. but i wouldn't trade my "mistakes" for anything.

woodsballnc 03-30-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 355367)

Bad thing is I saw it too...But only cuz my girlfriend made me...Good fight scenes though.

YAHAHA 03-30-2010 01:28 PM

I'm a little bummed because when I read the thread title, "Jeep Mystique," I thought Jeep came out with a new version Wrangler that would be bright blue, have a scale pattern on the seats & morph into different configurations at will.

pokey 03-30-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 210605)
right on, just like we all ask for a kleenex, buy a coke, and a copy machine is a xerox machine.

My dad was a life long sales manager for Crown Zellerbach paper company (now Georgia Pacific), whose main competitor was Kimberly Clarke, makers of Kleenex. He would get all bent out of shape if someone referred to a "tissue" as a Kleenex. You would have been banned from the house jpdoc! :banghead:

ryt2112 03-30-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 355372)

Give yourself some credit Dave, it's only 3 1/2 mistakes... The completely disassembled one only counts as a half ;)

sonofabeach 03-30-2010 11:57 PM

in the early 90s I had a Geo Tracker and I called it a Jeep. I was clueless about Jeeps then.
I think a lot of people call some s.u.v.s Jeeps thinking it's more of a style/shape than an actual brand.

Nowadays the Jeep mystique is simple to me....the top & doors come off & you can do all sorts of custom things to it.
And it's got four wheel drive.

frmertd 04-07-2010 11:06 AM

The other day I said something to my 4 year old about my car.
My 4 year old "dad, you don't have a car, you have a jeep".

Levinoss 04-08-2010 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frmertd (Post 592224)
The other day I said something to my 4 year old about my car.
My 4 year old "dad, you don't have a car, you have a jeep".

Smart kid

mrcarcrazy 04-08-2010 10:31 AM

Right after I got my Jeep, I yanked the Doors and top off and went to my Grandmothers house. My mom and my 2 nieces were there (their dad has a "hummer h3").

My oldest Niece (2 at the time) told me I had a pretty hummer, to which I corrected her saying "this is a Jeep, and its much better than your daddy's hummer."

I was hoping that'd get back to him, but he never admitted it.

wrangler0 04-20-2010 12:31 PM

Just in.....

Eastchester Man Hurt After Jeep Bursts Into Flames - 1010WINS.comĀ*

ryt2112 04-20-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 603113)

A lit cigarette that fell into some gas that had spilled and soaked into some fertilizer? You pretty much have every perfect ingredient for a bomb in that vehicle - no wonder it blew up!

wrangler0 04-20-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryt2112 (Post 603117)
A lit cigarette that fell into some gas that had spilled and soaked into some fertilizer? You pretty much have every perfect ingredient for a bomb in that vehicle - no wonder it blew up!

Darwin Award nominee perhaps??!!

IdahoIslander 10-02-2010 12:58 PM

When we started seeing alot of Jeep knock-offs like the suzuki sidekick, etc (198?) we coined a term for them to help out or ignorant friends. We call 'em "Cheeps"
So my son grew up thinking that there are Jeeps and Cheeps. Proud of that boy.

OsageJeep 01-19-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 355367)

I was thinking the same thing. There are two things wrong with that..you watched Twilight AND you don't like the four-door JK? Come on now...

OsageJeep 01-19-2011 11:07 PM

I don't know about anybody else but whenever I pull in somewhere, people always stare at my Jeep and everybody I know is like "I want to drive your Jeep" or "I want to ride in your Jeep" People just like Jeeps. I don't know why, maybe it's because you can have a wide variety of configurations from tearing across the sand dunes in a desert to sitting up to your windows in mud. There is a "mystique" about them.

On a side note-I was at work the other day waiting tables and a guy comes in and out of the hundreds of vehicles outside and all the people inside, he is like "is that your Jeep outside?" It's not like it was close to the front door or anything. He just knew it was mine. It still flabbergasts me. The guy said that I just "looked like I drove a Jeep" I don't even know what that means?! :confused: haha I am hoping it is a good thing