Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Teraflex JK Hinge Carrier Install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/teraflex-jk-hinge-carrier-install-169532.html)

Rooster454 06-26-2012 01:26 PM

Teraflex JK Hinge Carrier Install

I received mine yesterday and thought I would share with everyone how it went. The carrier fits on great and is as easy as removing the screw from the old arms and putting on the TF hinged carrier and bolting it on. I had zero trouble with it. I am using the stock tire carrier put on the Teraflex Slim relocation bracket which mounts to the stock carrier to lift the tire up higher so for everybody with 35's like me it really helps clear the bumper and I would recommend it. The only thing that slowed down the install was finding bare metal under the tailgate arms and hinges and having to spray it with clear rustoleum enamel before I was comfortable with covering it up again. Total install took just about 1.5 hours with 20 minutes of that waiting for clear coat to dry.

No cutting, no drilling. Literally just removing the old hinges and bolting the new TF ones in place of the old.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677562.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677578.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677605.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677616.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677815.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677757.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677828.jpg

Rooster454 06-26-2012 01:31 PM

The best part IMO about this carrier is that I can no longer barely push the tailgate and watch it slam. I have to forcefully push it all the way closed because of the added tension in the new hinges. It feels much much stronger and capable of carrying a heavy wheel/tire combo.

I would definitely recommend it to someone looking for a carrier that will allow you to run any bumper you want.

HebrewHammer12 06-28-2012 07:42 AM

Very nice write up where did you buy this

RRTRI 06-28-2012 09:45 AM

Thank you for this write up. I've been thinking about this mod. Any chance we can see some pictures of the stock tire carrier on the relocation bracket? I'm not unhappy with the position of my 35 on my stock tire carrier. If I didn't use the relocation bracket would my tire be in the same position it is in today?

KrawlOff-Road.com 06-28-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HebrewHammer12 (Post 2523426)
Very nice write up where did you buy this

These are just now starting to ship out. Any of the TeraFlex dealers can help you get setup with one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRTRI (Post 2523785)
Thank you for this write up. I've been thinking about this mod. Any chance we can see some pictures of the stock tire carrier on the relocation bracket? I'm not unhappy with the position of my 35 on my stock tire carrier. If I didn't use the relocation bracket would my tire be in the same position it is in today?

I would be carefull with running a 35 on the stock carrier. We have seen the added weight destroy the stock tailgate. The hinges are not desgined to take on that kind of weight.

-Jason

RRTRI 06-28-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com (Post 2523866)
I would be carefull with running a 35 on the stock carrier. We have seen the added weight destroy the stock tailgate. The hinges are not desgined to take on that kind of weight.

-Jason

Thanks and agree on the stock set up.

I may have misunderstood what the OP was saying. Sorry I don't know the term but there is the post that the actual tire/rim mounts to. It sounds like that is being reused with the TF hinge Carrier and that maybe there is a relocation bracket that moves the post up higher so it isn't as close to the bumper?

What I was trying to understand is if I don't use to the relocation bracket with the TF carrier what does that mean? Will the tire be positioned the same as it is today but mounted on the TF carrier?

Thx

Rooster454 06-28-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRTRI (Post 2523898)
Thanks and agree on the stock set up.

I may have misunderstood what the OP was saying. Sorry I don't know the term but there is the post that the actual tire/rim mounts to. It sounds like that is being reused with the TF hinge Carrier and that maybe there is a relocation bracket that moves the post up higher so it isn't as close to the bumper?

What I was trying to understand is if I don't use to the relocation bracket with the TF carrier what does that mean? Will the tire be positioned the same as it is today but mounted on the TF carrier?

Thx

You are correct on reusing the the stock carrier that the wheels mounts on to. I know this is a weak point, but I have no choice as the teraflex adjustable carrier was delayed from production due to changes being made( as I understood it). I will be purchasing the adjustable carrier to replace the stock one in a couple weeks when it is available.

So I am using the teraflex hinge carrier system that replaces the weak tailgate arms that mount the tailgate to the body. The stock carrier is then remounted to tailgate and the relocation bracket is mounted onto the stock carrier. Basically, the relocation bracket just gives you a higher platform to mount the wheel onto. Otherwise your tire will be in the same place as with the stock carrier. If you're running 35's like me, your tire may rub the bumper without the relocation bracket, like mine was.

These pics show the relocation bracket. It is essentially a round disc like bracket that has 3 bolts built in where the tires mounts and three holes where it mounts to the bolts in the carrier. I'll try and get some better pics after work today

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677746.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677735.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1340677689.jpg

RRTRI 06-28-2012 01:41 PM

Thanks. That makes sense. My tire isn't currently rubbing. I think what I'm really trying to get my arms around is would I need to go the extra expense other than swapping out to the beefier tailgate arms if I'm not rubbing now.

I've been resistant to this mod because of the expense (x2) and wondering what is the least I can get away with while still making sure I don't have any tailgate issues from the added weight of the 35's.

Rooster454 06-28-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRTRI (Post 2524704)
Thanks. That makes sense. My tire isn't currently rubbing. I think what I'm really trying to get my arms around is would I need to go the extra expense other than swapping out to the beefier tailgate arms if I'm not rubbing now.

I've been resistant to this mod because of the expense (x2) and wondering what is the least I can get away with while still making sure I don't have any tailgate issues from the added weight of the 35's.

I was going thru the same thought process as you and finally decided to just go the safer route. It obviously is more expensive then just adding longer rubber stops on the tailgate, which I considered, but after reading more and more about people having trouble with the tailgate and finally seeing one in person where the welds tore out because of the weight, my decision was made for me.

Maybe check out the smittybilt oversize tire carrier?? I think Kbwolff was using that until he got his teraflex carrier. He may have more insight on it even though I think it's just another temporary fix.

KrawlOff-Road.com 06-28-2012 02:47 PM

This is a good way to go aside from a new rear bumper or a "cage" type carrier like the OR-Fab or GenRight. This replaces the major weak point on the stock setup which is the hinges.

-Jason

chris.george 06-28-2012 03:41 PM

That looks pretty sick :thumb:

pkmcd99 06-28-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster454
I received mine yesterday and thought I would share with everyone how it went. The carrier fits on great and is as easy as removing the screw from the old arms and putting on the TF hinged carrier and bolting it on. I had zero trouble with it. I am using the stock tire carrier put on the Teraflex Slim relocation bracket which mounts to the stock carrier to lift the tire up higher so for everybody with 35's like me it really helps clear the bumper and I would recommend it. The only thing that slowed down the install was finding bare metal under the tailgate arms and hinges and having to spray it with clear rustoleum enamel before I was comfortable with covering it up again. Total install took just about 1.5 hours with 20 minutes of that waiting for clear coat to dry.

No cutting, no drilling. Literally just removing the old hinges and bolting the new TF ones in place of the old.

I love your Jeeps color. Gives me a sense of joyus dejavu

Rooster454 06-28-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com (Post 2524893)
This is a good way to go aside from a new rear bumper or a "cage" type carrier like the OR-Fab or GenRight. This replaces the major weak point on the stock setup which is the hinges.
-Jason

This is exactly why I waited for this to come out. I don't want a swing away and with this I can pretty much run any bumper I want, if I find one I really like, but I'm in no huge hurry to get one

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.george (Post 2525045)
That looks pretty sick :thumb:

Thanks man

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99 (Post 2525053)
I love your Jeeps color. Gives me a sense of joyus dejavu

Thanks brother. Us orange guys gotta stick together :thumb:

COStrider 01-10-2013 01:11 PM

Rooster454

Sweet photos and write up. Thanks

I just had mine installed while I was away on vacation and I love it. It's pretty stiff. So stiff the metal skin on the door buckles if you push at the wrong angle on closing it. Does this go away after some use? I've only opened/closed the tailgate a half a dozen times and it still feels really stiff

Thanks in advance

Keiff 01-10-2013 02:08 PM

I really, really like this solution, but the price is just slightly ridiculous. I can get an Ace bumper with tire carrier for about the same or less than this hinge kit/tire carrier... It must be powder-coated sterling.

I do see the benefit of running any bumper you want, they just need to get their head outta the clouds.

SilverMiner 01-10-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keiff (Post 3210181)
I really, really like this solution, but the price is just slightly ridiculous. I can get an Ace bumper with tire carrier for about the same or less than this hinge kit/tire carrier... It must be powder-coated sterling.

I do see the benefit of running any bumper you want, they just need to get their head outta the clouds.

Exactly, it isn't slightly ridiculous, it's extremely so. I guess they only plan to sell 100 of them ever and want the R&D money back in that number of sales. At half the asking price they would be overpriced, imo. It has almost no point since you can get a full rear bumper with tire swing for a tad more. The price point can not be justified, imo.

Wharfrat 01-10-2013 02:47 PM

I'd rather run this and the stock bumper than run a fugly ACE rear with tire carrier for even more money.

And the cost of this plus a nice rear bumper is very similar to that nice rear bumper with an added swing away from the same manufacturer.

Bash the price all you want guys, I am sure they have already sold well over a hundred and will sell thousands more.

kurtz265 01-10-2013 02:50 PM

I'll be ordering one! I got the tire carrier piece and it is VERY well built.

kramer2k 01-10-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat
I'd rather run this and the stock bumper than run a fugly ACE rear with tire carrier for even more money.

And the cost of this plus a nice rear bumper is very similar to that nice rear bumper with an added swing away from the same manufacturer.

Fact. And fact.

That's why I decided on the TF Hinge and Tire mount.

I could've gone with one of the giant bumper carrier combos that are very heavy and ugly (IMO), but I wanted two separate systems. I wanted a carrier that is solid yet looks clean. And I want a bumper that is just that, a bumper.

I have one-handed operation of my tailgate and it's clean and tight against the Jeep. And I have the option to choose from a plethora of bumpers.

That's just my thought process if anyone is looking in to that product.

Wharfrat 01-10-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3210347)
Fact. And fact.

I could've gone with one of the giant bumper carrier combos that are very heavy and ugly (IMO), but I wanted two separate systems. I wanted a carrier that is solid yet looks clean. And I want a bumper that is just that, a bumper.

I have one-handed operation of my tailgate and it's clean and tight against the Jeep. And I have the option to choose from a plethora of bumpers.

Good point on the weight. That was the second thing that drove me away from the ACE, aside from the horrible looks.

And I was even contemplating the ACE during their 20% off sale recently, I could have gotten it REALLY cheap, cheap enough to be like paying no shipping at all. Still, no thanks. Don't get me wrong, I like ACE, and have ACE sliders --but there is a reason that bumper is super cheap. It's got extremely simple (cheap to manufacture) lines and looks horrible on a JK. In my opinion, of course.

Keiff 01-10-2013 03:13 PM

I agree, the ACE bumper is rather simple and uninspired, just used it for price comparisons.. I actually want the AEV rear bumper but can't bring myself to spend that much on it.

- At Quadratec, the Teraflex hinge/carrier combo is $699 and $70 for shipping
- The ACE bumper/carrier combo is $785 and $124 for shipping.
- Also at Quadratec, the TeraFlex Rear RockGuard Outback Bumper is $876 + $170 shipping.
- AEV is selling their rear bumper/carrier combo for $1598, with some kinda additional freight charge...

OTOH... JCR has a nice-looking combo for $1050 + $150 shipping....

Just sayin'... it's gettin outta hand.

tabber02 01-10-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keiff (Post 3210438)
I agree, the ACE bumper is rather simple and uninspired. I actually want the AEV rear bumper but can't bring myself to spend that much on it. I used the ACE bumper for price comparisons.

- Also at Quadratec, the TeraFlex Rear RockGuard Outback Bumper is $876 + $170 shipping.
- AEV is selling their rear bumper/carrier combo for $1598, with some kinda additional freight charge...

as a forum member, you get free shipping at Q-tec, for all but the large (additional freight) types... like bumpers, tires, and wheels... that sort of stuff..

:whistling:

gotta pay if you want to play. just saying. there are inexpensive options out there, but that hinge carrier is pretty bad ass... and they sell a lot of them. :D

Keiff 01-10-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 3210457)
gotta pay if you want to play.

I need to get on my welding aspirations and cash in it seems ;)

SilverMiner 01-10-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keiff (Post 3210472)
I need to get on my welding aspirations and cash in it seems ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love the carrier. (The TF carrier is cast aluminum I think Keiff). It looks great and serves a much needed purpose. I just don't get how they can justify the cost for so little material costs. Apparently there are enough people willing to spend big bucks on their Jeeps so it's working for them. I'd love to get one, and while I can certainly afford it, I'd like a little better value. I just ordered a LOD full width front bumper for slightly more, for 100 lbs of steel and all the welding / machining I can see that being somewhat reasonable.

SilverMiner 01-10-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3210347)
Fact. And fact.

I agree with all of this, I like the look and function of using the TF hing and seperate bumper.

KrawlOff-Road.com 01-10-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keiff (Post 3210438)
I agree, the ACE bumper is rather simple and uninspired, just used it for price comparisons.. I actually want the AEV rear bumper but can't bring myself to spend that much on it.

OTOH... JCR has a nice-looking combo for $1050 + $150 shipping....

Yeah but we could help you out with all of these! Every dollar counts right?

Here is my take on it. Are these for everone? No. That is why there are so many options out on the market. Not everyone likes the same thing and not everyone wants to run the same thing everyone else is running, that is part of the Jeep deal, right? Yes, price is a huge factor in a lot of things. Some say items are worth the price and some say they are not. In regards to the TF carriers, I know we have sold a TON of them. On top of that, I remember getting a phone call right before the holidays from TF saying that these should be back in stock in Jan and that at that time, they had over 300 on backorder! :eek: But, we can make the wait more bearable...

Let us know if we can help!

-Jason

Keiff 01-10-2013 04:53 PM

I hear ya Jason. When I get around to making up my mind... I'll give you a call. You guys offer gift certificates? I've got about $1200 laying around in gift cards, Quadratec certs and Amazon cards from Christmas. I wanna tell em to go to Krawl next year ;)

And, to anyone out there that is familiar with this hinge upgrade, am I understanding correctly that I can use the OEM carrier for a 35" tire until I get around to buying the other piece?

kramer2k 01-10-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keiff (Post 3210885)
And, to anyone out there that is familiar with this hinge upgrade, am I understanding correctly that I can use the OEM carrier for a 35" tire until I get around to buying the other piece?

That's correct.

You can choose to purchase the HD hinge by itself, the adjustable tire mount kit by itself, or the 2 pieces together. I went with the latter because I didn't like want my aftermarket tire/wheel handing so far off the tailgate.

The kit comes with pieces depending on if you already have their tire mount kit or are reusing your OEM carrier.

I noticed you referenced Qtec on this item at $700, plus $70 for shipping. I got mine at Northridge 4x4 for $663 shipped. Jason can probably do the same deal.

Separately they cost $500 and $200. I've never seen any deals on them separately so I bought mine together to save $40.

engineeredjku 01-10-2013 07:08 PM

How does a 35" tire fit on just the hinge. Toyo mt's are gonna be here tomorrow and am probably going to order just the hinge. Also, how tight against the tailgate will the tire be with different backspacing. I'm going with the classic III which has a 4.5" backspacing.
Thanks

kramer2k 01-10-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engineeredjku (Post 3211455)
How does a 35" tire fit on just the hinge. Toyo mt's are gonna be here tomorrow and am probably going to order just the hinge. Also, how tight against the tailgate will the tire be with different backspacing. I'm going with the classic III which has a 4.5" backspacing.
Thanks

The hinge comes with 2 spacers to reuse the OEM tire mount.

Your new wheels won't be as close to the Jeep. You'll need to extend your rubber bump stops with some hose or PVC pipe or Daystar bump stops to make it rattle free.