Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Is a Wrangler good in cold weather? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/is-a-wrangler-good-in-cold-weather-169850.html)

LilYeller 06-27-2012 09:19 PM

Is a Wrangler good in cold weather?

So my mom just came down and visited me and fell in love with my Wrangler. She said its like a motorcycle only safer, and her husband wont let her get a bike so now she wants to get a wrangler for herself. Her main concern is that she hates the cold and lives in Ohio, dont ask why she lives up there cause I cant figure it out either. Her question is this:

Does the cabin get warm enough in the winter/snow? How about with a with just a soft top?

Just looking for honest advise from experienced people. I live in Florida so I will never have to worry about snow or very cold weather, therefore I cant give her an experienced opinion. Thanks for all your help!

Jeeplover1 06-27-2012 09:21 PM

Well ya jeeps are awesome in cold weather.

backwards 06-27-2012 09:21 PM

A good heater works pretty damn well

Jeeplover1 06-27-2012 09:21 PM

hard tops help keep the heat in alittle better IMO

Z-TJ 06-27-2012 09:25 PM

My TJ does fine. Get an auto and slap a push to start on it

LilYeller 06-27-2012 09:27 PM

I know wranglers are efficent in the snow and they are great for driving in the snow and very capable in the snow BUT.. is the heater that comes in the wrangler good enough to keep a person warm? I have used the heater in my Jeep when it got all the way down to below 50 and it worked great... But thats hardly snow weather and she is in the snow belt. Also she gets cold very easy and I know these are pretty drafty with just soft tops.

LilYeller 06-27-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-TJ (Post 2522064)
My TJ does fine. Get an auto and slap a push to start on it

Yea remote start is a definate, I have it on mine for no other reason than it came with my 2 way alarm system. But I have to admit that I use it frequently and it would be very handy in a place like that

Weed Hopper 06-27-2012 09:30 PM

I have a soft top and live in central Illinois. No problem in the winter. You could roast coffee with the heater in my Sahara. And the heated seats make it even nicer. Tell her to go for it.

LiftedTj 06-27-2012 10:12 PM

I live in Ohio and with our mild winter we had this year i was driving around doorless in Feb with my heater on the 2nd setting and still plenty warm. Granted i had thermals, gloves, and a hat on. All in all your toes will be on fire, and plenty warm, even with the doors off in winter.

Jeeplover1 06-27-2012 10:15 PM

yes the heater works great.

jameslee97206 06-28-2012 12:43 AM

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/t...eponmthood.jpg

My old jeep. I run a soft top year round in Oregon, heater in a TJ kicks ass just don't run it on the highest setting as it will cause problems. The TJ in my avatar pic has a soft top, I bought a hard top last year but sold it as I really don't need it. The heater works that good :) Tell your mom to go for it.

dukedallas 06-28-2012 08:11 AM

Wranglers come with oversized heating system I was once told, i totally believe it because I've owned 3 wranglers and no other car I've ever owned heats up so quick and put out so much heat. Think about it, the engineers probably designed a heavy duty heating system into them because of the massive heat loss you can get with a soft top.

termite 06-28-2012 08:20 AM

I only used mine for "cold days" a few times (bought in February) and at full crank the heater is hot enough that you cannot hold your hands in front of the vents for too long. I was shocked at how much heat it dumped out.

Another good example of how good the heaters are is I went topless he first time on a 60 degree day and was still toasty warm.

dama417 06-28-2012 08:27 AM

Northern Wisconsin here, heater is as good as any vehicle out there. I have both tops, use the hard top in the winter because of the snow.

SouthTJ 06-28-2012 08:48 AM

I sold the my hard top because not much snow here. The heater will roast you. Once the interior heats up (pretty quick) i've always had to turn the fan speed to the lowest setting. Then I'm having to adjust the temperature knob because I get too hot. Even with temps in the teens. We don't get those temps often but we do get them.

Jared66 06-28-2012 08:55 AM

The engine is deffinetly notent for the cold. In the 3.8 anyway. Plugged in and still hard to start in -30C. If its below -10c and not plugged in forget it ull blow somthin crankin it over.

mslandsurveyor 06-28-2012 09:06 AM

Every Wrangler we've had and have are equipped with excellent heaters. We have a hard top and a soft top currently. Both will turn your Jeep into an oven if you allow it! I always have to make sure that the vents are angled away from my driving hand because it can push some darn hot air around. I have no problems with staying warm in 40 degree weather with the top up but the windows out. :thumb:

In fact, I LOVE driving with the softy like that! :redface:

If you take your doors off, top down, on 50-ish degree weather and then drive on the highway, it can get a little chilly, but I HIGHLY doubt that she would drive like that. :D Of course I could be mistaken! :hide:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilYeller (Post 2522075)
I know wranglers are efficent in the snow and they are great for driving in the snow and very capable in the snow BUT.. is the heater that comes in the wrangler good enough to keep a person warm? I have used the heater in my Jeep when it got all the way down to below 50 and it worked great... But thats hardly snow weather and she is in the snow belt. Also she gets cold very easy and I know these are pretty drafty with just soft tops.

KittyPrawn 06-28-2012 09:12 AM

I had no problems with a soft top in NJ. I'm always cold. 60 degrees requires heat. In a two door, the cabin is small and doesn't take much to get warm. I didn't even have to keep mine on full blast or full heat to keep it warm. Once it warmed up, heat was on the second level, and just above middle temp and it maintained very nicely. She should have no problem. I can't talk about a 4 door, but I don't see how it would be much more of an issue.

00tj2 06-28-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

There shouldnt be any drafts with the soft top properly installed.

iluvshoes 06-28-2012 09:19 AM

Milwaukee, WI here and my BF has a bikini top on his and during the winters that cabin (being so small) gets hot quick. I love it because I too get cuper cold. I just got my Wrangler (hardtop) so I haven't had the pleasure of testing mine out yet. I can tell you the AC rocks. That thing blows out some serious air.

I would tell your mom to get a hardtop. It will keep the heat better. I have some serious air tight seals on mine. I have to make sure I shut my doors hard enough or the door message will stay on.

lindel 06-28-2012 10:56 AM

Coldest day this last winter was around 17*F. Was plenty warm enough with a soft top.

Renaissance_Redneck 07-01-2012 01:01 PM

I was driving around the Sierra Nevadas (California) at the end of May, with the top off (though I did have my front doors and Freedom Panels installed). We kept toasty warm, even though these were the conditions:

http://i45.tinypic.com/e7i0k1.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/os4i0p.jpg

TJDave 07-01-2012 01:16 PM

The heater in my TJ is the best heater I have had in any vehicle I have owned. That's a lot of vehicles because I'm old. 50. lol.

In fact, it works too good if you do not use it properly. It may crack your windshield on sub-freezing temps if you let it warm up with the defroster on hot/hi. Mine did.

It kept me toasty on the last snow run with just a Safari top, half doors, and soft uppers.

I know nothing about JK's, but I don't see why it would be any different.

bobjenkins 07-01-2012 02:00 PM

Its 113 degrees today. I really wish I had the same problem as your mom! :)

LilYeller 07-01-2012 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the input folks! Thats the only thing she was worried about, keeping warm in the winter. Otherwise she was sold on it the second I took her out in the Jeep with the top in safari mode and doors off.

Hockeygeek21 07-01-2012 09:17 PM

Yesterday it got around 50 at night and I cranked the heat in my YJ just to keep my feet warm and o had to turn it off because it was hurting my feet it was so hot...

2003 wrangler 07-02-2012 08:39 PM

I live in Ohio and I think the heater is great and really throws a lot of heat out in my tj. As soon as the thermostat hits operating temperature it will throw out an extreme amount of heat. I would go for it if I was her. Just make sure she keeps it in good conditiion because the northeast ohio winters are very rough on a vehicle thats why I need to get rid of a little rust on my tj this summer. I dont have a lot of rust but its actually in good condition for being in pa all its life but it needs to be done before the winter. She will like it in the snow storms we get up here. lol

computeruser 07-03-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Yes, it kicks out too much heat much of the time, actually. No shortage of warm, for sure.

desertrat04 07-03-2012 05:00 PM

The heater in my TJ is the better heater I have ever had in any of my previous vehicles. I drove from LC, NM to Dallas/Fort Worth in the middle of winter and I only had it on the second speed because it was making me sweat. Even my oldest son told me to turn it off.

Brew 07-03-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameslee97206

My old jeep. I run a soft top year round in Oregon, heater in a TJ kicks ass just don't run it on the highest setting as it will cause problems. The TJ in my avatar pic has a soft top, I bought a hard top last year but sold it as I really don't need it. The heater works that good :) Tell your mom to go for it.

What do you mean the highest setting causes problems? I haven't herders this before.