Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   315/70-17 Duratracs on stock JKUR (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/315-70-17-duratracs-on-stock-jkur-169931.html)

AlanC 06-28-2012 10:07 AM

315/70-17 Duratracs on stock JKUR
 
Getting a new 2012 JKUR soon.

I'm wondering what it will take to run 270/17R17 [staff edit: AlanC intended to say 315/70-17; see post #8] Goodyear Duratracs (starting from a stock JKUR).

If I put them on the stock MOAB wheels, can I get by with 1.5" spacers and no lift?

What if I use an aftermarket wheel such as the Dick Cepek DC-2 (4.5" of backspace)?

I eventually want to install a 2.5" lift, but I'm wondering if I can do the tires first, and lift second, or if I should do the lift first.

Thanks!

Alan

WhiteSaharaInPA 06-28-2012 10:18 AM

It can definately be done. But when using stock OEM wheels a spacer Is needed.

MacCTD 06-28-2012 10:56 AM

I am running Toyo 285/75/17 Open Country tires on stock Moab wheels with no spacers and no issues.

Tictac32 06-28-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCTD
I am running Toyo 285/75/17 Open Country tires on stock Moab wheels with no spacers and no issues.

Can you show a pic of ur jeep bc I am looking into buying tires and was think of what u are doing?

jlr551cfd 06-28-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCTD
I am running Toyo 285/75/17 Open Country tires on stock Moab wheels with no spacers and no issues.

Any lift on your rig?

N3M0 06-28-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteSaharaInPA
It can definately be done. But when using stock OEM wheels a spacer Is needed.

I have 33 Duratracs on MB TKOs. No issues at all. If they are on stock wheels you def will need spacers

rics1997 06-28-2012 06:25 PM

For 17" wheels the Duratrac's don't come in 270? or 275's

265/70/17's will fit with no issues at all

285/70/17's may fit but most will rub on hard turns. I hear some say their 285's don't but that is rare. 285's 's is were it usually starts rubbing the sway bars on full turns like pulling into a parking space. Barely rub but none the less rubs enough that over time it will eat a hole in your inner side wall

Here is where my 285/70/17's rubbed

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...7/wheelrub.jpg

AlanC 06-28-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 2525600)
For 17" wheels the Duratrac's don't come in 270? or 275's

Sorry, I meant 315/70-17's.

I don't know how I managed to put 270 in there! :-)

So, I've decided to go with an RK 2.5" lift.

With this lift, will I be OK with 315/70-17 Duratracs on either:

1. Stock wheels with 1.5" spacers.

or

2. Aftermarket wheels with 4.5" backspacing?

Thanks!

Alan

N3M0 06-28-2012 06:38 PM

Yes

MacCTD 06-28-2012 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictac32 (Post 2524044)
Can you show a pic of ur jeep bc I am looking into buying tires and was think of what u are doing?


This is with 18 and 59 springs, but there was not issue with the 14 and 55 springs. I believe the Toyos run a little small, to get the speed dead on I have set the Procal for 32" tires.

MacCTD 06-28-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlr551cfd (Post 2525181)
Any lift on your rig?

I replaced the 14 and 55 springs with 18 and 59s springs, I had the tires on before I changed the springs and had no issue.

jlr551cfd 06-29-2012 03:19 PM

I just drove home with Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/75R17.) I have the stock rims and the Terraflex Leveling Kit... NO rubbing on the street... havent been off road yet, I'll let you know!

ChasmCrawler 06-29-2012 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanC (Post 2525642)
Sorry, I meant 315/70-17's.

I don't know how I managed to put 270 in there! :-)

So, I've decided to go with an RK 2.5" lift.

With this lift, will I be OK with 315/70-17 Duratracs on either:

1. Stock wheels with 1.5" spacers.

or

2. Aftermarket wheels with 4.5" backspacing?

Thanks!

Alan

  • Goodyear Wrangler® DuraTracs: LT315/70R17 Load Range D
  • KMC XD Series Addict XD798 Matte Black Wheels, 17 x 9" / 5" x 5" Bolt Pattern, -12mm Offset, 4.53 in. Backspacing (XD79879050712N)
  • Teraflex 2.5" Performance Budget Boost w/Shock Adapters (1355210)
  • Teraflex Exhaust Spacer Kit (2610000)
  • Trim Pinch Seams & Rock Rails
  • Smittybilt SRC Oversize Tire Carrier (2743) - To carry your monster full size spare
  • TPMS Sensor Delete
  • AEV ProCal Module (30406007AB) - To modify the factory tire size, 0 psi for TPMS, turn on daytime running lamps, etc.
  • Ditch the plastic front bumper skid plate, get a M.O.R.E. Steering & Sway Bar Skid Plate (JKFSP07)
No problems whatsoever!

N3M0 07-01-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasmCrawler

[*]Goodyear Wrangler® DuraTracs: LT315/70R17 Load Range D[*]KMC XD Series Addict XD798 Matte Black Wheels, 17 x 9" / 5" x 5" Bolt Pattern, -12mm Offset, 4.53 in. Backspacing (XD79879050712N)[*]Teraflex 2.5" Performance Budget Boost w/Shock Adapters (1355210)[*]Teraflex Exhaust Spacer Kit (2610000)[*]Trim Pinch Seams & Rock Rails[*]Smittybilt SRC Oversize Tire Carrier (2743) - To carry your monster full size spare[*]TPMS Sensor Delete[*]AEV ProCal Module (30406007AB) - To modify the factory tire size, 0 psi for TPMS, turn on daytime running lamps, etc.[*]Ditch the plastic front bumper skid plate, get a M.O.R.E. Steering & Sway Bar Skid Plate (JKFSP07)

No problems whatsoever!

Nice Jeep man

ChasmCrawler 07-01-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N3M0 (Post 2534938)
Nice Jeep man

Thanks! :thumb:

Like yours also...Crush 'n Black! :punk:

AlanC 07-02-2012 07:43 PM

OK, it looks like I'll be getting the wheels and tires before the lift.

What do I need to do to make sure I don't have any issues?

The aftermarket wheels will have a 4.5" backspacing.

ChasmCrawler 07-03-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanC (Post 2538669)
OK, it looks like I'll be getting the wheels and tires before the lift.

What do I need to do to make sure I don't have any issues?

The aftermarket wheels will have a 4.5" backspacing.

Install your lift at the same time as the rims/tires.

AlanC 07-03-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasmCrawler (Post 2541971)
Install your lift at the same time as the rims/tires.

Brilliant!

:)

Ran-Bo 07-05-2012 11:24 AM

265/70/17's will fit with no issues at all

285/70/17's may fit but most will rub on hard turns. I hear some say their 285's don't but that is rare. 285's 's is were it usually starts rubbing the sway bars on full turns like pulling into a parking space. Barely rub but none the less rubs enough that over time it will eat a hole in your inner side wall

Here is where my 285/70/17's rubbed

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...7/wheelrub.jpg

So to prevent this from occurring...do you think having spacers would rectify this issue?

Mojeaux 07-05-2012 11:34 AM

This is my 2012 Rubicon with 35x12.50s. The 315/70R17 measures to be a 34.4" tall tire. The only thing I did was added a 2.5" RE coil spacer in the front, and a 1.75" RE coil spacer in the rear. The only rubbing issues I had occurred on the back of the front bumper, which was easily remedied with the use of a dremel. :)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m.../real-rubi.jpg

AlanC 07-05-2012 11:44 AM

Basically, the problem is that I've got my stock wheels/tires sold, and the new wheels/tires will be ready this weekend, but the lift won't ship until next week sometime.

Wondering if I bolt the new wheels/tires on with stock suspension if I can drive it on the street or if it's going to have to sit in the driveway until the lift gets here.

Could I throw some spacers on there for the short term and get enough clearance to drive it on the street?

Mojeaux 07-05-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanC (Post 2547537)
Could I throw some spacers on there for the short term and get enough clearance to drive it on the street?

If you mean coil spacers, just wait for the lift kit.

If you mean wheel spacers, that won't help with clearance issues, but could help some with the rubbing.

AlanC 07-05-2012 12:10 PM

Yeah, I meant coil spacers. I was thinking I could throw some on there for a couple of weeks until the lift and shocks get here.

As for the wheel spacing, the new wheels have a 4.5" backspace, so I should be good there, right?

Mojeaux 07-05-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanC (Post 2547600)
Yeah, I meant coil spacers. I was thinking I could throw some on there for a couple of weeks until the lift and shocks get here.

As for the wheel spacing, the new wheels have a 4.5" backspace, so I should be good there, right?

Well, that is going to depend on what size the wheel is (i.e. 17x8, 17x10, etc). Also, that backspacing is really just going to determine how far the tires still out passed the fender. I like a wide stance, so I have 15x8 wheels (for 35x12.50 tire) that have a 4.5" backspace (but I also had to add a 1.5" wheel spacer due to shop miscalculations), so my tires extend about 3" beyond the fender.

Me personally, I wouldn't recommend adding coil spacers only for a couple of weeks. Just keep in mind, you will have to get an alignment done after adding the coil spacers, and probably have to do one again after removing them and adding the leveling kit. I would just wait until the lift comes in and install the tires/wheels/lift all at once; save yourself $450 for the coil spacers and install labor (unless you can install them yourself).

Someone please correct any errors I may have, as I do not want to give any false information. That being said, I'm pretty sure the above is correct.

ESP 07-05-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojeaux (Post 2548148)
Well, that is going to depend on what size the wheel is (i.e. 17x8, 17x10, etc). Also, that backspacing is really just going to determine how far the tires still out passed the fender. I like a wide stance, so I have 15x8 wheels (for 35x12.50 tire) that have a 4.5" backspace (but I also had to add a 1.5" wheel spacer due to shop miscalculations), so my tires extend about 3" beyond the fender.

Me personally, I wouldn't recommend adding coil spacers only for a couple of weeks. Just keep in mind, you will have to get an alignment done after adding the coil spacers, and probably have to do one again after removing them and adding the leveling kit. I would just wait until the lift comes in and install the tires/wheels/lift all at once; save yourself $450 for the coil spacers and install labor (unless you can install them yourself).

Someone please correct any errors I may have, as I do not want to give any false information. That being said, I'm pretty sure the above is correct.

15x8 wheels come in 3.75 and only a few in 4.0 backspacing. Are you sure yours are 4.5? Would be the first I've heard of if so.

Mojeaux 07-06-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2548172)
15x8 wheels come in 3.75 and only a few in 4.0 backspacing. Are you sure yours are 4.5? Would be the first I've heard of if so.

You, sir, are correct! :) Mine are indeed a 3.75. See, this is why I wanted confirmation. ESP gets free karma on the trail ride tomorrow! :thumb:

smokintaps 07-07-2012 12:51 PM

Very educational. Thanks for posting guys!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.