Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Dual Top / Soft Top Initial Install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/dual-top-soft-top-initial-install-170708.html)

Blastek 07-02-2012 12:48 AM

Dual Top / Soft Top Initial Install

2 Attachment(s)
So, I finally got around to installing the soft top that came with my JKUS. I wrote a little PDF guide to what I did to install the hardware, because I couldn't find a consolidated resource for it. The Owner's manual is pretty poor.

The road noise is surprisingly minimal. The main difference is the tire noise from other cars/trucks. I managed to test it out going up to Mt. Hood and it held up nicely! Looking forward to the summer!

robskully 07-02-2012 04:10 AM

Wow .... Thanks ....
For the step by step !
This will be my 1st Jeep and I decided to order the Dual Tops
since they are suppose to be better on the 2013's.
Rob ....

MrSig 07-02-2012 04:30 AM

Very nice. :thumb:

ArchangelMBC 07-02-2012 10:38 AM

Nice work, thanks much.

countrybassist 07-02-2012 10:47 AM

:thumb:

N3M0 07-02-2012 10:56 AM

:popcorn: Great job

tradde 07-02-2012 11:03 AM

I wish this had been available when I was doing mine.

ks9mm 07-03-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tradde (Post 2536966)
I wish this had been available when I was doing mine.

+1! great job!

I had to discover all of that on my own...not instriuctions were included...

j0nx 07-05-2012 04:48 PM

Awesome stuff thanks! Do you have any pictures of these torx screws into the arms in step 12? I'm not sure what that is.

Blastek 07-05-2012 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nx (Post 2548585)
Awesome stuff thanks! Do you have any pictures of these torx screws into the arms in step 12? I'm not sure what that is.

I don't have pics of the screws unfortunately, but they look like the attached pic below. there should be four of them. they attach the inner soft top arms to the rear rollbars

WaRpeDtiRe 07-05-2012 05:22 PM

Excellent write up! Will come in handy when i have to switch tops. Thank-you very much. Now what's for dinner?

mannaggia 07-30-2012 09:13 PM

Thanks - I will print this and give it a try.

I got dual tops with the JKU I bought a few weeks ago. I just got around to trying the soft top this weekend.

I ended up giving up and putting the hard top back on.

Unless I did something wrong, there was simply no way to get it to latch on the front.

I could get it to latch (barely) if I removed the back two sails from their slots - but then there was no way to get them back into the slots after it was latched. I mean no way - I was literally hanging my entire body weight on the sail to pull it down to get it into the slot and it would not reach.

I know about opening the latch to fully extend it - it was still about an eighth of an inch short.

Those videos on Youtube make it look very simple but it just isn't working for me. I'll try again some other time when I can spend a whole day on it, or take it back to the dealer.

(IMHO, the hard top is much easier and simple!!)

Blastek 07-30-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannaggia (Post 2637845)
Thanks - I will print this and give it a try.

I got dual tops with the JKU I bought a few weeks ago. I just got around to trying the soft top this weekend.

I ended up giving up and putting the hard top back on.

Unless I did something wrong, there was simply no way to get it to latch on the front.

I could get it to latch (barely) if I removed the back two sails from their slots - but then there was no way to get them back into the slots after it was latched. I mean no way - I was literally hanging my entire body weight on the sail to pull it down to get it into the slot and it would not reach.

I know about opening the latch to fully extend it - it was still about an eighth of an inch short.

Those videos on Youtube make it look very simple but it just isn't working for me. I'll try again some other time when I can spend a whole day on it, or take it back to the dealer.

(IMHO, the hard top is much easier and simple!!)

was it over 70 degrees? you need to park the jeep out in the sun for about an hour and then tackle it. you were doing it right - you latch the front before getting the sail panels in. the first time is really hard, especially if it's not hot enough. i had to wait until the next day so i could get some sun on it before my sail panels would come down.

after the first few times it starts to loosen up

JensJeep 07-30-2012 10:12 PM

Question about the rear side windows on the soft top. I previously had a 2008 and they had the "tongue and groove" portion on the side where the door shuts, similar to the bottom portion of my 2010, however the side does not have it, just "wraps around". I feel like it's not very secure, anyone else have this situation?

Blastek 07-30-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JensJeep (Post 2638062)
Question about the rear side windows on the soft top. I previously had a 2008 and they had the "tongue and groove" portion on the side where the door shuts, similar to the bottom portion of my 2010, however the side does not have it, just "wraps around". I feel like it's not very secure, anyone else have this situation?

the wrap around is super tight on mine. doesn't budge at all. seems pretty secure.

Creepin__Jeeper 07-30-2012 10:51 PM

I just installed my Soft top tonight I printed these step by steps out about a week ago and had them ready for when I needed them. The biggest help/time saver was that the top was already mounted in the back so all I had to do was put the door surrounds on and flip it up.

I will say that latching the front was a real PITA and I just had to keep working with it until it settled from being rolled up and gave me enough stretch to latch the front, I'm hoping that once it gets "stretched" out it will be easier but I'm really happy with it and so glad I got the Dual Top. Thanks again OP for the write up it did help considerably!

mannaggia 07-31-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 2637912)
was it over 70 degrees? you need to park the jeep out in the sun for about an hour and then tackle it. you were doing it right - you latch the front before getting the sail panels in. the first time is really hard, especially if it's not hot enough. i had to wait until the next day so i could get some sun on it before my sail panels would come down.

after the first few times it starts to loosen up

Yep, it was in the 80's when I first tried. I gave up the first night (it got dark), then left it out in the sun all day (mid to upper 80's) with it latched, but sails not in place.

When I got home that evening, I tried again. Still warm out (trust me, I was dripping wet). No luck. No physical way those sails were getting tucked under the groove with the latches closed, and no physical way the latches were closing with the sails tucked. Something else is wrong.

Very frustrated at this point. :banghead:

Blastek 07-31-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannaggia (Post 2638829)
Yep, it was in the 80's when I first tried. I gave up the first night (it got dark), then left it out in the sun all day (mid to upper 80's) with it latched, but sails not in place.

When I got home that evening, I tried again. Still warm out (trust me, I was dripping wet). No luck. No physical way those sails were getting tucked under the groove with the latches closed, and no physical way the latches were closing with the sails tucked. Something else is wrong.

Very frustrated at this point. :banghead:

do you have someone else to pull down on the rear support frame while you latch in the sail? my brother had to practically hang off it.

ronrad 07-31-2012 08:48 AM

In my case I had a couple of points that may help.

1) make sure that you don't fully latch the front, just hook at least one on in the open position
2) check whether you have one side tighter than the other. On mine, the passenger side is a lot tighter than the driver, so for my initial install, I only partially latched the driver, then hooked up the sail panels, fully latched the driver, then hooked and latched the passenger.

WeTri 08-14-2012 02:37 PM

Thank you, much easier to follow that the owners manual.

Putzy 08-28-2012 01:30 PM

I'm new to this form and I have a question about installing a soft top. Are the BEST Top tops installed differently? I am looking at the directions to install a Trektop NX and 1 part is to cut a slit as the Cable Bracket in the sport bar cover 1/4 below the zipper and aligned with the bolt hole? I am just borrowing this top from someone and I really don't feel comfortable cutting a whole in the bar covers on my new Jeep....

Thanks

mannaggia 08-29-2012 08:17 AM

Following up to my previous posts (not being able to latch my soft top) - I gave it another try last week. I had to wait until I had a combination of a weekend, no kid activities, and no threat of rain - not many of those recently...

I was able to finally get it latched! I had my son literally hang on one of the crossbars in the middle of the soft top and that gave me the 1/8 inch I needed to latch it. I did tuck the sails in the back first. I have kept it latched for over a week now to get it to stretch out. I plan on putting the top down tonight or tomorrow - remains to be seen how easy it will be to get it latched again...

It also poured yesterday - no leaks!

Peepers 08-29-2012 08:32 AM

For the soft top:

ALWAYS Hook the front latches first. Not tighten them down, just get them hooked.

THEN attatch the rear sails down.

Finally tighten the front latches...

Goes much smoother this way.

Although I guess I'm lucky with my old streched out TJ top...

Geoscene 08-29-2012 08:40 AM

Just picked up my 2013 JKUR with the dual top option and am learning the "joys" of the user manual ;)

Great concise, well illustrated instructions and very much appreciated!

Magichelmt 08-29-2012 09:32 AM

I gave up on using the stupid DVD. Laptop in the jeep and watching YouTube videos to get it. I had mine out in the sun for 2 hours before I attempted. I pulled it up and let it sun itself. I finally got the back corners in, but I had to undue the front latch completely on each side. I had almost all of my 300 pounds into it before that. I won, but it was work.

PRWhitby 08-29-2012 10:54 AM

Went to the dealership to have them show me yesterday. Didn't "find" this thread until this morning. EXCELLENT instructions, Blastek. As a humble suggestion, the only part that I found lacking (now that I know how to do it) is that when you attach the soft top frame to the roll cage, you've got those tabby thingies (technical term) that have to fit around the notches on the roll cage. Gonna be nice and hot the next few days here in Chicago. Will do some more practicing.

hychenj 09-03-2012 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent the afternoon finishing my hard top hoist and installing the soft top on my new wrangler. Great write up, without it I would probably be lost. Quick question about the installation of the side windows. The way they attach is quite different from my 2001. I dont know if it is because the top is new and needs to stretch out but it looks like the way my windows mount it may leak. Let me know if you think something is wrong or if this is how its supposed to be.

Thanks for all the help!

dabolt55 09-03-2012 08:40 PM

Is it a brand new Jeep and window?? The pic does not look right.

hychenj 09-03-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabolt55 (Post 2754956)
Is it a brand new Jeep and window?? The pic does not look right.

Yes a 2013, first time the soft top has been up.

hychenj 09-03-2012 08:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two more pics if it helps.

Thanks again.