Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Anyone running Mopar/Tera flex stage 3 on their 2012 JKU (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/anyone-running-mopar-tera-flex-stage-3-on-their-2012-jku-170756.html)

rundm 07-02-2012 09:13 AM

Anyone running Mopar/Tera flex stage 3 on their 2012 JKU
 
Like the title says, trying to find out if anyone is running the stage 3 mopar setup which is a tera flex system? Would like to know likes/dislikes of the system. Will I be able to upgrade later on with adjustable control arms and such? Have gotten some very informative feed back from a couple of guys here on the site, thank you for that, but just trying to find out from someone who might be running the set up. Thanks again, RG

pluke the 2 07-02-2012 09:37 AM

it looks like that kit comes with adjustable bolt on control arms. i don't see why you wouldnt be able to add to it later.

Daniel_M 07-02-2012 10:26 AM

Advice, don't buy from your dealer/Mopar. Buy the kit from an aftermarket vendor. Mopar stuff id usually marked up ridiculously. Teraflex is good stuff

-Dan

rtguy 07-02-2012 10:33 AM

i think snochick is running this lift on her gecko jku...try pm'ing her for info

rtguy 07-02-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2536724)
it looks like that kit comes with adjustable bolt on control arms. i don't see why you wouldnt be able to add to it later.

they are fixed control arms as shown/stated on teraflex site

pluke the 2 07-02-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtguy (Post 2536872)
they are fixed control arms as shown/stated on teraflex site

well as long as the arms are fixed or "bolt on" for that matter, it's fully upgrade able for later.

kjeeper10 07-02-2012 11:15 AM

:wavey: rundm

Did not notice they were fixed arms, that's huge :(

Kit does both rear CA's but only lowers for the front.

No track bars ?

Its like the intension is to stay with the stock DS's. If upgrading in the future and those arms are fixed :eek:

Seems like a lot of $$$ to spend and not complete.

Also, What are everybody's thoughts on Fox res shocks and speed bumps ?

pluke the 2 07-02-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2537007)

Also, What are everybody's thoughts on Fox res shocks and speed bumps ?

running fast in the desert is what their design is intended for...

rock climbing/ off roading slowly, those speedbumps are a joke,

kjeeper10 07-02-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2

running fast in the desert is what their design is intended for...

rock climbing/ off roading slowly, those speedbumps are a joke,

Rundm :whistling:

rtguy 07-02-2012 11:52 AM

i saw a thread from a member who put on this kit and snochick replied to it saying she had the same kit on her '12 and it was ok but she was going to be changing out...her hubby has a different kit on his '11 that she said was a softer ride and handled much better offroad. don't know the details though....you can probably do better for the money I'm sure....hopefully she will chime in here and give first hand insight..

kjeeper10 07-02-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtguy
i saw a thread from a member who put on this kit and snochick replied to it saying she had the same kit on her '12 and it was ok but she was going to be changing out...her hubby has a different kit on his '11 that she said was a softer ride and handled much better offroad. don't know the details though....you can probably do better for the money I'm sure....hopefully she will chime in here and give first hand insight..

Yep... She had asked about shocks.

rundm 07-02-2012 01:20 PM

I pm'ed her but havn't heard anything back yet.

kjeeper10 07-02-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rundm
I pm'ed her but havn't heard anything back yet.

I do remember her comparing her stage 3 to the husbands TF.

She wasn't too happy with the on road performance If I remember correctly.

pluke the 2 07-02-2012 01:49 PM

Lol, noooo!

She wasn't happy with how it felt off road. Meaning, when she would go over bumps it was way to rough. Which in my opinion is something all people aren't really used too when they first start out. Especially, if you're not aired down/ disconnected.

JeepHerz 07-02-2012 02:06 PM

Have the Stage 3. Just put it on my stock 2012 JK 2 weeks ago. We wound up at about 3 1/2" lift. I think Snochick has the 4" Mopar- which is OEM'ed by someone else.
The Fox shocks are great for trail/desert/rocky stuff. We blasted through very, very rocky trail at 35 MPH and you'd think you were on asphalt. My truck has Ranchos and on the same trail we get beat to crap. I am not thrilled with the DD ride- its a little too firm- but Fox also says the shocks have to break in. I think my new KM2s are also a big part of the ride issue- I may sell them.
Haven't had a chance to get to any rock crawling yet- not sure if that's your intent. The front hydraulic bumpstops did engage and work on the side-shoots and heavy embankment areas. No thunking- but we didn't hit anything massive either. They (and the springs) also prevent front-end dive-bombing under heavy braking for DD purposes.
The brackets came either bare metal or cheaply painted- for this price? We powder coated prior to install.
Track bars aren't adjustable- but upgradeable. The only component I question. But by the time we added exhaust spacers, the bump stops, limit straps and better shocks we would up at the same price as some "cheaper" kits.
I wanted my JK capable for the more advanced trails but I don't plan to spend all my time rock-crawling. I also like desert running which is why I wanted the Fox shocks. It's also my DD. I know that for some anything but rock-crawling is a waste of a Jeep and for that purpose there are better kits/components- as mentioned above. But I am happy with the kit for what I plan to do with it. It's also our first set of mods though so I am sure we'll add/change down the road.
FYI: we Googled and found a 10% off coupon for "Just For Jeeps" and they also offered free shipping. But that was over a month ago.

JeepHerz 07-02-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2537512)
Lol, noooo!

She wasn't happy with how it felt off road. Meaning, when she would go over bumps it was way to rough. Which in my opinion is something all people aren't really used too when they first start out. Especially, if you're not aired down/ disconnected.

The irony is that I am happy off-road but the little bumps on the freeway feel like giant potholes. I think that's the tires though. We didn't air down (no spare)or dis-connect (Rubi sway installed but not wired up) on our first couple of rides out and I thought it was great. But again- we weren't rock crawling. I know, I have to return my Jeep card. :hide:

kjeeper10 07-02-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2
Lol, noooo!

She wasn't happy with how it felt off road. Meaning, when she would go over bumps it was way to rough. Which in my opinion is something all people aren't really used too when they first start out. Especially, if you're not aired down/ disconnected.

Oops :)

kjeeper10 07-02-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHerz

The irony is that I am happy off-road but the little bumps on the freeway feel like giant potholes. I think that's the tires though. We didn't air down (no spare)or dis-connect (Rubi sway installed but not wired up) on our first couple of rides out and I thought it was great. But again- we weren't rock crawling. I know, I have to return my Jeep card. :hide:

No steering correction with that kit !!

It's not the tires unless they are aired to 40 psi lol

pluke the 2 07-02-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHerz (Post 2537579)
The irony is that I am happy off-road but the little bumps on the freeway feel like giant potholes. I think that's the tires though. We didn't air down (no spare)or dis-connect (Rubi sway installed but not wired up) on our first couple of rides out and I thought it was great. But again- we weren't rock crawling. I know, I have to return my Jeep card. :hide:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2537734)
No steering correction with that kit !!

It's not the tires unless they are aired to 40 psi lol

like kj said, check your tire psi, km2's of that size should be between 28-35psi.

steering correction would definitely help. toe in would be ideal as well. caster should be kicked to about 5* as well

JeepHerz 07-02-2012 04:28 PM

Thanks. Down to 28 PSI right now. By "steering correction" do you mean the actual steering wheel centering or tire alignment? We did re-center the steering wheel manually. We'll be installing the ProCal this weekend so if the steering is still off center its my understanding we can correct it then.
No shaking, wobbling or pulling at all- but for example the expansion joints on the freeway are really noticeable. Over big bumps its fine- strangely its the little stuff that is rough.. Why I thought it might be tires??...It is a lot better since the Newb (me) lowered the PSI. I think the other part of my issue is just the noisy KM2s- wishing I had the old KMs I used to have on my truck.
I'll be at Big Bear at the end of the month so I can rock test it and I figure all ye' experts can tell me what I am really doing wrong...on the Jeep that is. The other stuff would take too long.

CUL8R 07-02-2012 04:45 PM

Had mine since late March. Used it in Moab in April. Also used it to pull an offroad popup trailer. I like it a lot. It does seem quite sensative to steering inputs onroad until you get used to it.

Here's my tread from April: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/mop...cs-145335.html

Jim

rundm 07-02-2012 04:54 PM

Club8er, I pm'ed you.

pluke the 2 07-02-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHerz (Post 2538023)
for example the expansion joints on the freeway are really noticeable.


It's called "Bump-Steer" and I had ALOT of it at 3" of height. Now that i'm over 4" of lift, this was absolutely necessary and should be one of the first modifications done when going over 3" of lift.

EVO: Suspension/Steering, EVO MFG JK Draglink Flip Kit

in addition to this, you should also have a rear track bar bracket installed...

JK Wrangler Rear Trackbar Bracket (for 2-6" lift) | TeraFlex Suspensions

helped cure about every suspension irritation i had...

JeepHerz 07-02-2012 05:33 PM

We have the rear bracket. I guess the front is Stage 2. Or 2.5. Thanks!

kjeeper10 07-02-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2

It's called "Bump-Steer" and I had ALOT of it at 3" of height. Now that i'm over 4" of lift, this was absolutely necessary and should be one of the first modifications done when going over 3" of lift.

EVO: Suspension/Steering, EVO MFG JK Draglink Flip Kit

in addition to this, you should also have a rear track bar bracket installed...

JK Wrangler Rear Trackbar Bracket (for 2-6" lift) | TeraFlex Suspensions

helped cure about every suspension irritation i had...



I find lowering my tire pressure to 26-28 psi it's worse on road. I feel every bump. More contact patch?

32 psi and my shocks tuned down, my ride is pretty good. Well except for the wobbles/Bumpsteer I hope the highsteer fixes :)

I was looking at the poly kit and RK kits today. Poly is BO'd on their drag link flip and the RK is a more complete which included a track bar which I don't need. Plus the bracket is weld on.

Got to look into the EVO kit :thumb:

MarineHawk 07-03-2012 11:03 AM

Rundm, what I read above is amplifying the concerns I expressed in my PMs. It would be unwise IMO to spend that kind of money without getting adjustable CAs, trackbar (with the correct-geometry brackets), and draglink if you're going over 3" up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtguy (Post 2537135)
i saw a thread from a member who put on this kit and snochick replied to it saying she had the same kit on her '12 and it was ok but she was going to be changing out...her hubby has a different kit on his '11 that she said was a softer ride and handled much better offroad. don't know the details though....you can probably do better for the money I'm sure....hopefully she will chime in here and give first hand insight..

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUL8R (Post 2538077)
Had mine since late March. Used it in Moab in April. Also used it to pull an offroad popup trailer. I like it a lot. It does seem quite sensative to steering inputs onroad until you get used to it.

You should check your alligment. When I went from fixed LCAs (with a max caster of about 2 degrees) to adjustable LCAs (which allowed a 5.25 degree caster) (along with the adjustable flipped drag link and trackbars) my ride went from terrible to awesome immediately. Here's my progression: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/pro...ml#post2511795

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHerz (Post 2537559)
I think my new KM2s are also a big part of the ride issue- I may sell them.

Messing with your tires to get a geometrically-poor front suspension (with a caster that's too low) to feel less bad and jerky, is like putting a bandaid on a compound fracture. I run my 35s at 38 psi, and it glides right over highway bumps and ruts like a nice sedan. It was terrible before I got the correct, adjustable front-end components --- whatever psi I put in my tires. KM2s are great tires and are not your problem.

rundm, it's your money, but you can get a lift with adjustable compoonents that won't make you hate your new ride (as I did mine for a while) I think for less than the Mopar, fixed-component stuff.

kjeeper10 07-03-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Rundm, what I read above is amplifying the concerns I expressed in my PMs. It would be unwise IMO to spend that kind of money without getting adjustable CAs, trackbar (with the correct-geometry brackets), and draglink if you're going over 3" up.

You should check your alligment. When I went from fixed LCAs (with a max caster of about 2 degrees) to adjustable LCAs (which allowed a 5.25 degree caster) (along with the adjustable flipped drag link and trackbars) my ride went from terrible to awesome immediately. Here's my progression: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/pro...ml#post2511795

Messing with your tires to get a geometrically-poor front suspension (with a caster that's too low) to feel less bad and jerky, is like putting a bandaid on a compound fracture. I run my 35s at 38 psi, and it glides right over highway bumps and ruts like a nice sedan. It was terrible before I got the correct, adjustable front-end components --- whatever psi I put in my tires. KM2s are great tires and are not your problem.

rundm, it's your money, but you can get a lift with adjustable compoonents that won't make you hate your new ride (as I did mine for a while) I think for less than the Mopar, fixed-component stuff.

X2

I linked him one of the RK 3.5 lifts which includes everything except Bumpstops and shocks.
My opinion was the fox res shocks and speed bumps are complete overkill anyways.

If driveshafts are in his plans the M3 lift is def not for him. Lacks adjustability and at 3" - 4" is a must for a JK.

MarineHawk 07-03-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2541034)
X2

I linked him one of the RK 3.5 lifts which includes everything except Bumpstops and shocks.
My opinion was the fox res shocks and speed bumps are complete overkill anyways.

If driveshafts are in his plans the M3 lift is def not for him. Lacks adjustability and at 3" - 4" is a must for a JK.

Agree kjeeper.

I’m not sure which one you linked, but I was just looking at their lifts, and this Rock Krawler one (http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/catalog/index.php?r_itemID=364, which is listed at only $2,200 here http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/rock-krawler-jk-3-5-max-travel-system.html) has:

(2) long travel progressive rate front coil springs, double adjustable front track bar made from 1.5” solid alloy steel, precision welded front track bar relocation bracket, (1) front track bar bracket support with stabilizer relocation hole,(2) high clearance- adjustable front lower control arms made of 1.625” solid alloy steel, (2) high misalignment – adjustable front upper control arms made from 1.25” solid alloy steel, adjustable front sway bar disconnects, H.D. drag link assembly, (2) long travel linear rear coil springs, double adjustable rear track bar made from 1.5” solid alloy steel, precision welded rear track bar relocation bracket made from ” thick laser cut steel,(2) high clearance-adjustable rear lower control arms made of 1.625” solid alloy steel, (2) high misalignment – double adjustable rear upper control arms made from 1.25” solid alloy steel, rear extended sway bar links, rear coil spring degree wedges, long travel stainless steel brakes front and rear, hardware and detailed instructions.
http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/catalog/index.php?r_itemID=364

That looks like a pretty good deal to me. IMO, you’d also want to get a good front DS, a steering stabilizer, and an adjustable drag link (I don’t think the one described above is adjustable; maybe that’s not a big deal). And of course, you’ll need bump-stops and shocks, which don’t appear included above.

A Synergy kit probably is maybe about 10%-20% more, but with the adjustable draglink and bump-stops: http://www.eadoffroad.com/synergy-suspension-ppm-8023-30-synergy-jeep-jk-stage-3-suspension-system-3.0-inch-4.5-inch-lift (if you’re looking at that, make sure you get the adjustable LCAs and trackbars options). The adjustable Synergy components also adjust without removing them, which can make it easier to keep your Jeep in perfect alignment Synergy’s my favorite, but the RK stuff looks pretty good.

Either one (among others) is going to be vastly superior to the Mopar, fixed-arm kits. I can't even tell from the various descriptions of the Mopar stage 3 if it even has a replacement draglink or track bars, much less adjustable ones. It doesn't look like it. If so, run away! Seriously, compared to the two linked above, you're getting nothing but headaches instead of a nicely alligned lift--and paying just as much or more.

rundm 07-03-2012 01:27 PM

Kjeeper10, I am still looking at the RK 3.5 lifts that you sent to me. Havn't made up my mind on anything yet. Thanks for all the input. RG

kjeeper10 07-03-2012 01:52 PM

:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Agree kjeeper.

I’m not sure which one you linked, but I was just looking at their lifts, and this Rock Krawler one (http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=364, which is listed at only $2,200 here http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/rock-k...el-system.html) has:

(2) long travel progressive rate front coil springs, double adjustable front track bar made from 1.5” solid alloy steel, precision welded front track bar relocation bracket, (1) front track bar bracket support with stabilizer relocation hole,(2) high clearance- adjustable front lower control arms made of 1.625” solid alloy steel, (2) high misalignment – adjustable front upper control arms made from 1.25” solid alloy steel, adjustable front sway bar disconnects, H.D. drag link assembly, (2) long travel linear rear coil springs, double adjustable rear track bar made from 1.5” solid alloy steel, precision welded rear track bar relocation bracket made from ” thick laser cut steel,(2) high clearance-adjustable rear lower control arms made of 1.625” solid alloy steel, (2) high misalignment – double adjustable rear upper control arms made from 1.25” solid alloy steel, rear extended sway bar links, rear coil spring degree wedges, long travel stainless steel brakes front and rear, hardware and detailed instructions.
http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=364

That looks like a pretty good deal to me. IMO, you’d also want to get a good front DS, a steering stabilizer, and an adjustable drag link (I don’t think the one described above is adjustable; maybe that’s not a big deal). And of course, you’ll need bump-stops and shocks, which don’t appear included above.

A Synergy kit probably is maybe about 10%-20% more, but with the adjustable draglink and bump-stops: http://www.eadoffroad.com/synergy-su...-4.5-inch-lift (if you’re looking at that, make sure you get the adjustable LCAs and trackbars options). The adjustable Synergy components also adjust without removing them, which can make it easier to keep your Jeep in perfect alignment Synergy’s my favorite, but the RK stuff looks pretty good.

Either one (among others) is going to be vastly superior to the Mopar, fixed-arm kits. I can't even tell from the various descriptions of the Mopar stage 3 if it even has a replacement draglink or track bars, much less adjustable ones. It doesn't look like it. If so, run away! Seriously, compared to the two linked above, you're getting nothing but headaches instead of a nicely alligned lift--and paying just as much or more.

Yep,,, the drag link is adjustable I believe which is part the the "included" high steer kit :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.