Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Power gains? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/power-gains-170954.html)

Jeeperjoe 07-03-2012 12:03 AM

Power gains?

I have a 2003 tj 5 speed. I want some more speed, torque, mpg, etc. Anybody know of anything that won't destroy my wallet? I'm thinking air intake and exhaust system. But I really don't know too much about jeeps. I'm 19 and i've only had it for a few months. I eventually want to lift it 2-3 inches on 32's so I'm going to need some gains to support the new weight and size.

ahbrown83 07-03-2012 12:11 AM

short of a motor swap, there really isn't much you can do. Those JETT chips and such advertised on Quadratec are just a waste of money. Stock airbox is really more ideal than anything else. Once you add lift/larger tires you might consider a re-gear, which would help against the weight added.

Lando25 07-03-2012 12:11 AM

Regear to stay in your powerband, besides that, every intake, chip, exhaust, ect will do little to nothing despite the cost to help with power. If money is no issues swap in a dodge 318 or 360.

Lando25 07-03-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahbrown83
short of a motor swap, there really isn't much you can do. Those JETT chips and such advertised on Quadratec are just a waste of money. Stock airbox is really more ideal than anything else. Once you add lift/larger tires you might consider a re-gear, which would help against the weight added.

Beat me to it.

UnlimitedLJ04 07-03-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperjoe (Post 2539596)
I want some more speed, torque, mpg, etc. .

more speed = drive faster
more torque = swap in bigger motor, stroke your 4.0L, supercharger or turbo
more mpg = change your driving habits, or buy a different vehicle, which gets better mpg.

problems solved.

Jeeperjoe 07-03-2012 12:31 AM

Do any of you have any after market air intakes, exhausts, or anything?

Fundahl 07-03-2012 12:58 AM

Well, I know that lots of people here like to stay stock, but realistically you could add some sort of forced induction, whether is be a positive displacement or centrifugal blower, or a turbocharger.

I plan on running a Borg Warner EFR 6258 using a DiabloSport InTune to flash and datalogs/email to get the flash made.

UnlimitedLJ04 07-03-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperjoe (Post 2539708)

i had an aftermarket intake.
i have a 'custom' exhaust, after pretzeling my stock exhaust off-road.

Do you want to know how worthless they are?

I've also got a supercharger that's waiting to be installed.

Fundahl 07-03-2012 09:57 AM

I know there are gains to be had with JBA Header, 505Performance Roller Rockers and a good flash tune.

AC0QR 07-03-2012 03:38 PM

I am always amazed at the patience this forum has for these classic questions.

ShakaZulu8402 07-03-2012 06:10 PM

Drop in a golen stroker 4.6. Don't waste your money on the little stuff it won't do anything.

Atthehop 07-03-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC0QR (Post 2541774)
I am always amazed at the patience this forum has for these classic questions.

X2. I guess the search option has become useless.

JRoweMDN 07-03-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop

X2. I guess the search option has become useless.

Yeah let's shut the post feature down and just leave search open. Then we can all email our questions to the forum Gods and see if we can be graced with permission. At least off topic would still be open and the photo forum.

Believe it or not people come to forums to SOCIALIZE and be a part of a great group of people.

HarryJeepGuy 07-03-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperjoe

People can hammer you all they want, no one bought their Jeep already knowing everything about it, plain and simple. We've all been there. Yes, this stuff has been answered before, but so has just about everything else. Don't shy away from asking questions, it's a way to learn. Yes, I like searching, but you never know what might be brought up.
That being said, I bought my Jeep without knowing there even was a forum, years ago. This place will save you money, and make you spend more than you ever thought possible.
I bought a Banks Ram air (recommended from the jacked up truck dealership I bought my Jeep from) without knowing any better. It makes the sound more aggressive when you really get on the gas, and maybe, maybe helped my stock geared on 33's in the up a hill in 3rd 3000+ rpm range a minuscule amount (wot). Absolutely not worth the money. Bought a Hesco throttle body spacer at the same time, installed it after to try out all the hype one at a time.... It makes my ram air rub the hood, and that's about it. Not worth $40. So after listening to all the Jacked up pickup guys I work with, I shelled out $400 for the Hypertech power programmer. I was pissed as soon as I plugged it in. It said it would fix my speedo... Nope. Said it would do XYZ... Nope. Set it for 91+ octane and ran the expensive gas... I would rather they sent me a pet rock with a middle finger on it and kicked me in the balls. Did absolutely nothing other than piss me off. I called and bitched, they said that there was an Internet update coming out that would fix it. Well, the way the scam is set up is that you have to reload your factory settings from the "programmer" back to the Jeep to get the update. So every time you hook it up to the computer, it says it's updating. After the second time talking to them, I looked online. After finding out it's a scam, I called back. It was conveniently past their return period. Nice.
Either re-gear, add a stroker (when my 4.0 dies, that's what I want), or motor swap. I have a new exhaust waiting to go on, but that's because of rust, not performance hopes. I was set on the Kenne-Bell supercharger, and when I finally worked up the money and the nerve to order it, I found out they no longer made it for the 4.0 because there wasn't any demand for it. It's about the same result to stroke the motor and more reliable, and that was straight from the salesmans mouth.
Hope that helps.

Jeeperjoe 07-03-2012 11:39 PM

That did help. Thanks for your input. A lot of people are just biased about these kind of things. It's good to hear from someone who knows first hand.

freeskier 07-03-2012 11:59 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Had aftermarket intake, felt a lot better after putting the stock box back on. I have aftermarket exhaust simply because age takes its toll on original parts. Aftermarket header, high flow cat, aftermarket muffler. It does nothing.

I'll be replacing the muffler with the quietest one I can find (other than OEM, way to expensive) and when the header cracks I'll put in a newer OEM two piece one.

Look, I'm 18, I like fast cars. My dad use to own an exotic car rental company, I've driven some insane cars, I have a taste for speed and high performance cars. If you want a fast car sell the Jeep. If you want a fast Jeep get ready to spend a LOT of money.

Fundahl 07-04-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 2543395)
If you want a fast car sell the Jeep. If you want a fast Jeep get ready to spend a LOT of money.

I guess a "lot" is relative. You can also always have more than one vehicle. It's great to have the apple and the orange. (in my case a twin-turbo 300zx to compliment the LJ) :punk:

I think the 4.0 has great potential to build.

269jeep 07-04-2012 08:40 AM

Jeeperjoe,

I am new here also. A few years back I got sucked in to the aftermarket "performance" parts for the 4.0 scam. Air intake,chip,throttle body,high flow exhaust, and injectors. I got minimual gains, and spent a lot. I dont regret the stainless exhaust as I needed to replace my old one at the time, and Michigan road salt plays hell on steel components.

A stroker is on my "want" list. But with only 145,000 miles and no problems with my motor I cant justify it.

crisjacof 07-04-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac0qr
i am always amazed at the patience this forum has for these classic questions.

x2

baerbonesjones 07-04-2012 10:15 AM

making it a combustion engine inhale and exhale easyer, yields power gains, thats 100% proven fact.

s14sh3r 07-04-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baerbonesjones (Post 2544230)
making it a combustion engine inhale and exhale easyer, yields power gains, thats 100% proven fact.

True, but slight gains at 4000 rpm mean nothing if your engine rarely sees anything over 3000 rpm. The 4.0 is a great engine, but made for low rpm power.

Lando25 07-04-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baerbonesjones

True, but in a realistic sense you can spend a couple hundred on a high flow exhaust, throttle spacers and chips and only gain a couple percent. Benefit doesn't outweigh the cost in my opinion.

Fundahl 07-04-2012 01:42 PM

I think the first thing the 4.0 would benefit from is getting the cats out, a tune, and then the valve-train, head and cam.

Next up would be to super/turbocharge it or run nitrous.

RioWrangler 07-05-2012 08:46 PM

This maybe a stupid question but what is meant by stroke the engine?

freeskier 07-05-2012 08:49 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RioWrangler (Post 2549188)

Increase displacement. Instead of 4.0L, maybe 4.7L.

UnlimitedLJ04 07-05-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 2549200)
Increase displacement. Instead of 4.0L, maybe 4.7L.

displacement is part of it :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RioWrangler (Post 2549188)

the term stroker refers to the stroke ratio of an engine. this is the ratio of cylinder bore to crankshaft stroke length.

calculate by:
ratio = bore/stroke

the 4.0L is an oversquare engine, meaning it's bore is greater than its stroke length, so the ratio is greater than one. If the ratio is very close to 1, then the motor is said to be square. If the ratio is less than 1, the motor is undersquare.

to make an engine a stroker means increasing the stroke length, making the engine undersquare, or closer to it than the stock oversquare configuration.

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_ratio

In the 4.0L, this is accomplished by installing a crankshaft from a 4.2L carb'd YJ/CJ, which has a longer stroke length than the 4.0L crank. You can do other stuff too, like boring the cylinder walls out, and the 4.0L has plenty of meat for such operation. There is a whole lot more too it, like long rod vs short rod, what pistons to use, deck height, camshaft and head choice, etc, etc...

The Green Machine 07-07-2012 07:03 PM

I bought all of the stuff, and they do work. It would cost $4,000 to swap in a more powerful motor into my Jeep. I paid $600.00 for mods. They did not turn my Jeep into a "powerhouse", but the power gains are noticeable.

HarryJeepGuy 07-07-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Green Machine (Post 2556131)
I bought all of the stuff, and they do work. It would cost $4,000 to swap in a more powerful motor into my Jeep. I paid $600.00 for mods. They did not turn my Jeep into a "powerhouse", but the power gains are noticeable.

What products did you buy?

jp2611 07-07-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Wasting your time trying to have this conversation on this Forum.....I wonder how many have ran everything they say doesn't work for an extended period of time?

I have some but not all of the things mentioned, and have ran them for more than a couple years....and a lot of people were telling me IDK how to drive my Jeep because IMO it has enough power in traffic to drive around town running lower RPMs...bottom line I was told I was "lugging the motor" but no one ever rode with me or heard it.

How many people are driving around town above 2000K RPM---stick or auto?

C.L. 07-07-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

That's true, but looking replacing a component that doesn't restrict the inhale/exhale process still won't help. The prime moneytrap on the 4.0 is the stock air box. It is non-restrictive, and does a great job of keeping mud/water out of your engine. Replacing it with something that is ALSO non-restrictive, but isn't as good at keeping mud/water out is a step backwards.