Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   A/C cutting off (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/a-c-cutting-off-170993.html)

Six 07-03-2012 08:45 AM

A/C cutting off
 
I've had this happen 3 times in the past two weeks while driving my Jeep. It's a 2012 JKU with less than 2100 miles on it and I don't put that many miles on it in a week with having a motorcycle. The first two times this occured was within one mile from leaving my house. The AC would cut off for about 3-5 seconds and turn back on again while driving. I might have hit the brake on both of those occasions as it was going down a slight hill into a turn. It did it again this morning when I locked up my brakes to avoid t-boning a dumb **** that ran a stop sign.

It's not just cutting back either like some cars do when you go to accelerate, it cutting completely off before turning back on. Is this a neat "feature" of the Wrangler, a know issue, or a pain in the ass I'm going to have to live with until I can successfully recreate it infront of the dealer's service department?

ClayL 07-03-2012 08:47 AM

Jeeps have AC? :confused:
It could be something jeep added in

kjeeper10 07-03-2012 08:57 AM

Yep ^

I use it all the time. Even with the doors off and gas at $400 gallon :D

ClayL 07-03-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Yep ^

I use it all the time. Even with the doors off and gas at $400 gallon :D

Seems like a waste. But I've never been one for AC. I just prefer to roll the windows down, if I have anything on the jeep

Six 07-03-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayL (Post 2540563)
Seems like a waste. But I've never been one for AC. I just prefer to roll the windows down, if I have anything on the jeep

Rolling the windows down to get a nice 95+ breeze is not my idea of comfortable and my Jeep being an outside Jeep means that I can't really take it apart and leave it like that with daily storms rolling through lately.

kjeeper10 07-03-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayL

Seems like a waste. But I've never been one for AC. I just prefer to roll the windows down, if I have anything on the jeep

Raining 99% humidity?

pluke the 2 07-03-2012 09:12 AM

i had my ac turn off on my 2010 when i was driving out to the desert. had 35's and 373s with auto tranny and ambiet temp was 100*

when we got home, we installed a tranny cooler and ac has never shut off ever since. . .

ClayL 07-03-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six

Rolling the windows down to get a nice 95+ breeze is not my idea of comfortable and my Jeep being an outside Jeep means that I can't really take it apart and leave it like that with daily storms rolling through lately.

My jeep always sits out open in the rain, it
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
never sits in a garage
Raining 99% humidity?

that I can understand,I'm from Florida do I feel your pain

Six 07-03-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayL (Post 2540643)
My jeep always sits out open in the rain, it

that I can understand,I'm from Florida do I feel your pain

ITT: A Jeep owner with AC problems looking for answers and suggestions.
Not ITT: How awesome you think you are because you don't use AC.

I'm driving a six speed, so it's not an issue with heat. Also, this has happened twice within 5-10 minutes of starting the Jeep, so I'm guessing it's not even up to normal operating temp by the time this occured. I don't think over heating is causing this at all.

DFW6ER 07-03-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six (Post 2540681)
ITT: A Jeep owner with AC problems looking for answers and suggestions.
Not ITT: How awesome you think you are because you don't use AC.

I'm driving a six speed, so it's not an issue with heat. Also, this has happened twice within 5-10 minutes of starting the Jeep, so I'm guessing it's not even up to normal operating temp by the time this occured. I don't think over heating is causing this at all.

any electrical work/mods/aftermarket work been done on your jeep? Sounds like it could be loss of an electrical power contact somewhere behind the dash

Six 07-03-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW6ER (Post 2540905)
any electrical work/mods/aftermarket work been done on your jeep? Sounds like it could be loss of an electrical power contact somewhere behind the dash

None at all. It's something like almost 2 months old.

DFW6ER 07-03-2012 10:46 AM

Damn...sounds like a trip to the dealership is in order. Please update this thread with what they find, assuming you can get them to reproduce the problem and acknowledge there's a problem to begin with.

N3M0 07-03-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six (Post 2540493)
I've had this happen 3 times in the past two weeks while driving my Jeep. It's a 2012 JKU with less than 2100 miles on it and I don't put that many miles on it in a week with having a motorcycle. The first two times this occured was within one mile from leaving my house. The AC would cut off for about 3-5 seconds and turn back on again while driving. I might have hit the brake on both of those occasions as it was going down a slight hill into a turn. It did it again this morning when I locked up my brakes to avoid t-boning a dumb **** that ran a stop sign.

It's not just cutting back either like some cars do when you go to accelerate, it cutting completely off before turning back on. Is this a neat "feature" of the Wrangler, a know issue, or a pain in the ass I'm going to have to live with until I can successfully recreate it infront of the dealer's service department?

Same thing with mine, I too have a 2012 and it will 100% stop for a few seconds and then turn back on like it never happened. It happened to me 3 times, my Jeep has 1500 miles on it. Twice it stopped while I was stopped at a stop sign, the third time, i was on the highway. :popcorn:

igf1r 07-03-2012 10:55 AM

First - There is a delay when you start the AC but I have not heard of the AC shutting off. One thing is did ABS turn on both times you where driving? If the ABS did go on this may be the cause of the shutdown. Call the dealership and tell them they may able to answer. If they don't. Bring it in the Dealership and have an electrical diagnostics done there may be something faulty.

I hope this help you.

Dozer13JK 07-03-2012 11:16 AM

If I was having AC problems with my BRAND NEW Jeep I would turn around and head straight to the dealership. That's unacceptable. As for the person saying AC is a "waste".... Come'on man. This is 2012. Times are changing. As a daily driver AC seems like a given to me. Especially if you live where the climate gets very hot/humid. It was one of the very few options I added to my 2013 on order. I can understand Navigation, power windows, and all that jazz... but opting for AC is a no brainer to me.

Six 07-03-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igf1r (Post 2540978)
First - There is a delay when you start the AC but I have not heard of the AC shutting off. One thing is did ABS turn on both times you where driving? If the ABS did go on this may be the cause of the shutdown. Call the dealership and tell them they may able to answer. If they don't. Bring it in the Dealership and have an electrical diagnostics done there may be something faulty.

I hope this help you.

ABS did not kick in for the first two while just driving.

They need to fix my steering wheel controls anyways, the ones on the left are FUBARed

thegreenthief 07-03-2012 12:33 PM

I have a 2012 Rubicon with close to 2000 miles and I have been experiencing the same issues.

I took the Jeep to the dealer, only to have the service manager tell me that this was "normal" while climate control was set to auto. I was a bit frustrated with this response (I'm an electrical engineer, and I can generally tell when something isn't functioning as it should), but I decided there wasn't much I could do if I couldn't reproduce the issue.

Following that trip to the service department I've been running the system in "manual" mode and I've experienced the same thing on multiple occasions (less so now because I have the top and doors off), thereby invalidating their diagnosis. I have yet to return to the service department, partially because of a lack of free time and due to frustration on how this issue was handled the last time.

The only possible lead I was able to find related to a faulty HVAC relay. Reportedly, a batch of "bad" relays have been coming from the factory lately and the solution is to replace the relay with one from O'Reilly's or a similar auto parts store. The relay you want to replace is labeled 'K9 Front HVAC RLY'. Again, I haven't had much time to attempt this myself but it seems like a plausible solution that wouldn't be expensive to attempt.

Let me know if you decide to try this and report back whether or not it solved your issue. Good luck!

Six 07-03-2012 01:03 PM

Mine's a nearly base model sport, so there's no auto setting climate control that I know of, it's just three knobs with one for fan speed, one for temp, and one for vent routing.

Jeeperz Creeperz 07-03-2012 01:30 PM

My 2012 JKU purchased 5/1/2012 with manual AC never does that. My AC has been on constantly when I drive. That is a defect the dealer should address.

I am in the HVAC field and what thegreenthief says sounds plausible but the dealership should see it. You pay this much for a new vehicle with a warranty, they should diagnose it 1st before you fix it yourself. If nothing else it will be on your service record before the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty is over and you may not have to pay to fix it, if it occurs again or is a bigger more expensive issue.

For the dude with no ac and leaves his jeep in the rain wondering why anyone else does not do the same, would he have medical procedures done in a tent in the woods or in a clean air conditioned hospital with a roof? Also why does he have a jeep when he could ride a motorcyle that is even more open air? Riding the bike in the winter would be more "manly" than using 4 wheels. Heck why have a 4x4 when single wheel drive would be better? The Amish think he is a poser becuase anything beyond a horse & buggy is a waste.

snikt 07-03-2012 01:36 PM

Yeah and thank god they have AC too. You guys can't honestly say you've been comfortable with the windows down in the recent 100-120F heat indexes across the country?

jeepguy8888 07-03-2012 04:31 PM

Mine does that too! I still. It does it frequently within the first 5 min of starting the Jeep.

Also my back fender seems to be loose. I had my wife drive it while I sat in the back seat and heard vibrations. Just sitting in the front seat you can't barely hear it. its when you sit in the back.

Under 5000KM on it but I will need to bring it in for a few issues.

Another is a sound comming from the engine compartment when driving on the highway. My it sounds like the keys are vibrating but I know it isnt that.

All problems that are difficult to explain to the dealer service rep.

DFW6ER 07-03-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepguy8888 (Post 2542163)

Also my back fender seems to be loose. I had my wife drive it while I sat in the back seat and heard vibrations. Just sitting in the front seat you can't barely hear it. its when you sit in the back.

Remove your license plate and see if it's the license plate bracket that's loose. I had removed mine a few weeks ago to remove the dealership advertisement plate frame......hey, why should I advertise for them for free?.....and noticed 1/2 the bolts securing it to the jeep were barely hanging on.....like a moron had installed it.

Thundercat68 07-03-2012 04:42 PM

Mine as well, first time was with 17 miles on it as we were leaving the dealership when we bought it. I had it on full blast then it just quit. 3-5 secs later full blast again. its done it about 3 more times but not in the past 2 weeks.

SilverSport 07-03-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n3m0 (Post 2540964)
same thing with mine, i too have a 2012 and it will 100% stop for a few seconds and then turn back on like it never happened. It happened to me 3 times, my jeep has 1500 miles on it. Twice it stopped while i was stopped at a stop sign, the third time, i was on the highway. :popcorn:

x3

thegreenthief 07-03-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz (Post 2541517)
My 2012 JKU purchased 5/1/2012 with manual AC never does that. My AC has been on constantly when I drive. That is a defect the dealer should address.

I am in the HVAC field and what thegreenthief says sounds plausible but the dealership should see it. You pay this much for a new vehicle with a warranty, they should diagnose it 1st before you fix it yourself. If nothing else it will be on your service record before the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty is over and you may not have to pay to fix it, if it occurs again or is a bigger more expensive issue.

For the dude with no ac and leaves his jeep in the rain wondering why anyone else does not do the same, would he have medical procedures done in a tent in the woods or in a clean air conditioned hospital with a roof? Also why does he have a jeep when he could ride a motorcyle that is even more open air? Riding the bike in the winter would be more "manly" than using 4 wheels. Heck why have a 4x4 when single wheel drive would be better? The Amish think he is a poser becuase anything beyond a horse & buggy is a waste.

I completely agree that the dealer should fix the problem. However, my local dealer is either unable or unwilling to properly diagnose the issue and would rather dismiss a customer with excuses that don't address the issue.

Perhaps the fault lies partially with me in thinking I could tell them what was wrong and expect them to do the troubleshooting. Instead, it seems the burden of proof lies with the consumer. It's frustrating, but I guess it's the way it is.

Regardless, OP can choose to either take it in and deal with the potential headaches or attempt a cheap/easy fix and eliminate a variable. Best of luck!

Jakesdad 07-03-2012 08:10 PM

Mine stops for a few seconds sometimes. I suspect this is normal.

Thracks 07-03-2012 08:27 PM

What are these cars you speak of?

Real men WALK everywhere.

NJSAHRA 07-03-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six (Post 2540493)
I've had this happen 3 times in the past two weeks while driving my Jeep. It's a 2012 JKU with less than 2100 miles on it and I don't put that many miles on it in a week with having a motorcycle. The first two times this occured was within one mile from leaving my house. The AC would cut off for about 3-5 seconds and turn back on again while driving. I might have hit the brake on both of those occasions as it was going down a slight hill into a turn. It did it again this morning when I locked up my brakes to avoid t-boning a dumb **** that ran a stop sign.

It's not just cutting back either like some cars do when you go to accelerate, it cutting completely off before turning back on. Is this a neat "feature" of the Wrangler, a know issue, or a pain in the ass I'm going to have to live with until I can successfully recreate it infront of the dealer's service department?

Hey man my Uncle and I both bought 2012 JKU Saharas 2 months ago and the same thing happens to BOTH Vehicles the Blower just shuts down for a sec or so. This also use to happen to my 2010 Grand Cherokee!!

NO CLUE Y??

SilverSport 07-03-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakesdad (Post 2542828)
Mine stops for a few seconds sometimes. I suspect this is normal.

I see no reason why this would be considered normal. But I have more pressing issues for the dealer to worry about right now. Besides, it happens randomly and there are no codes so it would be hard for a tech to even troubleshoot.

silvel2edge 07-04-2012 12:04 AM

This was a big issue every 3 minutes on my 2009. I took to dealership 3 times and they said it was within spec. Thy also admitted it was a known issue but they never came out wih a fix by he time my warranty was up. I sold my 2009 and really hope my 2013 doesnt have this issue. It was a huge annoyance.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.