Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 now VS 2013 wait (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-now-vs-2013-wait-171006.html)

AUskier 07-03-2012 09:28 AM

2012 now VS 2013 wait
 
OK, So let the opinions fly... What would it take for you to pull the trigger on a 2012 now vs. waiting to order a 2013. Is there a $ savings that would make it worth it to you. A timing issue, whatever.

Strong opinions welcomed - just be nice to each other (and me :)), I don't want to start a flame war.

My specific situation... I started shopping assuming I would buy a 2012, but couldn't find an exact match to my desire's on the lot. The 2012 ordering window was closing right as I started shopping, So the wait to order a 2013. Specifically, I want a red one so it turns out I'll be waiting till approximately November for a 2013 to get to me. As I've been waiting to order a couple of 2012s have arrived on lots near me that have every option that was on my list - a month ago when I started shopping I would have bought one of them with the tread lightly discount without any debate. Now I'm debating what would make me pull the trigger and have a jeep this week vs waiting till November on a 2013.

andygroove 07-03-2012 09:53 AM

I just traded in my flame red 2010 jku sport, soft top, 6sp "s" package for a 2012 jku sahara, deep cherry red, body coloured hard top, auto, remote start, heated seats, 3.73's and the optional 7 spoke polished rims. I did it because i couldnt stand the manual trans any longer with the throttle lag. (yes I do know how to drive a stick shift) and I wanted a hard top and power windows (manual window crank poked me in the leg all the time). Up here in Alberta Canada they gave $3,000 off MSRP plus I got a free extended warranty. The new (2011) interior and the pentastar with auto and 3.73 makes my new Jeep vastly superior (in my opinion) to my old 2010. I bought it last weekend. It only has 240km on it and already was on a mild trail, couldnt resist. Mine is my DD and spends 90% of its use on road as I just dont have enough time to get off road.

I say if you cant find exactly what you want (as I was able to do) then order a 2013. You have to be happy with what you drive and never regret not getting a particular option or colour.

JaVa Crush 07-03-2012 09:54 AM

WELL

This is a easy one.

BUY THE 2012 NOW, ive had mine for 3 weeks or so now and LOVE it, I had to wait 9 weeks for the build, A VERY VERY VERY long wait i was going crazy. I would call the 1-877 I-Am-Jeep number trying to see if it was shipped like 3-4 time a week.

I now the ticking of the 3.6L is a bust, but its only a handful of people out of Thousands and thousands that have the problem, this was jeeps biggest year for sales if im not mistaken, and of course there are a few lemons. also chrysler has notice the 3.6L tick and are fixing it as we speak
And you have the 5yr/60,000km.

I FRIGGEN love my JKUR 12 Crush and the wife and kids cant wait to drive/off-road
2000km in just 3 weeks :wavey: PER FUN :D
WAY-OF-LIFE mand, and why not start it now:dance::punk::dance:


Hope it helps

NFRs2000NYC 07-03-2012 09:54 AM

If you can find exactly what you want, get the 12, but if not, factory order a 13.

rhen74 07-03-2012 10:06 AM

I was hoping to find a flame red '12 JKU with the options I wanted. I'm still keeping an eye out for one, but it's looking like I'll have to wait for the '13 rock lobster.

KittyPrawn 07-03-2012 10:07 AM

My current car would have to start showing signs of needing expensive maintenance for me to buy a 2012 right now.

My Wrangler will be a birthday present to myself, and I plan to have it for many, many years. I really am not willing to settle on options. The 2012 would have to have all the options that I wanted for me to buy it for any other reason besides serious need to replace my vehicle.

LAW 07-03-2012 12:46 PM

I just pulled the trigger, been shopping around for about 2 months and found what I wanted w/ everything I wanted in stock. Got a pretty good trade in on my old Nitro.

countrybassist 07-03-2012 12:59 PM

I bought an 11 when it was the last one on the lot with a bunch of 12's. I got a really good deal on it because the dealer wanted it off of the lot. You may be able to do the same with a 12 when the 13's hit the lots.

AUskier 07-03-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countrybassist (Post 2541390)
I bought an 11 when it was the last one on the lot with a bunch of 12's. I got a really good deal on it because the dealer wanted it off of the lot. You may be able to do the same with a 12 when the 13's hit the lots.


Just curious if you'd be willing to share how good of a deal. I already know I can get the 13 for 2% under invoice. The 2013 invoice is a little higher than a 2012 invoice price, but honestly it's that's not enough $ to make a difference.

shaunlong 07-03-2012 05:54 PM

Just a little note. I thougt I read on here that they're not making flame red in '13. That could make your decision easier for you.

AUskier 07-03-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunlong (Post 2542418)
Just a little note. I thougt I read on here that they're not making flame red in '13. That could make your decision easier for you.

Yea flame red is not available - rock lobster is the "new" bright red and it's predicted not to start production until October of 2012. That's why I'd have to wait till November for a 2013. If it was available for order I would have already ordered a 2013 Rock Lobster red.

That wait till November is one of the big reasons for considering going ahead and getting a 2012 now if it's equipped the way I would want it to be.

cmg427 07-03-2012 08:50 PM

I just bought a 12' and got ep pricing which is about 5% below invoice and the best part is I got a $1000 bonus incentive from jeep which made it 7% below invoice. You need to get a dealer to put your name in the system to see what incentives you qualify for or something like that and 2 weeks later you should see a bonus incentive in the mail. I couldnt pass up $6700 off msrp.

Slimpickins 07-03-2012 08:55 PM

My situation is different because I drowned my '12 Arctic but I was able to get 4.7% below invoice on a '12 MW3. I think partly because the 13's are coming soon.

Rocjeepn 07-03-2012 09:00 PM

Got the '12... and never looked back! Unless it is some special package, or specific color you must have, then wait.. otherwise... PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!

AUskier 07-04-2012 09:17 AM

My current ride is a 1997 jeep Cherokee Sport. I've had it since 99. I've loved it, but I'm really itching to move to a wrangler unlimited. (in my mind a hardtop wrangler unlimited is really the replacement for the Cherokee). You would think you've been in a car 13 years, what's another 4 months, but I've wanted to move on to the wrangler for a while and needed to wait till this summer for a variety of reasons.

As for major repairs I am having the dreaded death wobble that I've been trying to fix, but I'm pretty much ready to just let it go to the next guy who wants to fix it. I've already tried the quick and cheap solutions.

So I made low ball offer on a 2012 that has everything I want plus some. The offer I made was 9% under invoice so we'll see how bad they're wanting to move a 2012.

cmg427 07-04-2012 09:29 AM

Good luck, 9% below invoice is going to be hard to pull off. 5% is pretty much ep pricing and about the best they can do I believe. Not sure what model your going after but a loaded Rubicon is about $1600 higher for the 13'

Strokerswild 07-04-2012 10:02 AM

I am suddenly in the same boat - the finally wife caved and I got the OK to buy.

Local dealer has a white '12 Arctic 2-door, with every option I want except automatic trans (not a deal breaker). Pretty decent price (a bit over $2K off sticker), but I wish I knew what invoice was.

I priced out a '13 with the toys I want (with auto), and it'll be about $800 more than the '12. Don't really care if I have to wait.....

Hmmm.

rics1997 07-04-2012 10:02 AM

The thing about maybe choosing a 2013 over a 2012 is hopefully all the bugs are worked out. Never was keen on first year major changes. Not to mention the value a year from now will still be higher on the 2013 then the 2012. It will always be a year newer even if they were made a week apart.

robskully 07-04-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strokerswild (Post 2544333)
Local dealer has a white '12 Arctic 2-door, with every option I want except automatic trans (not a deal breaker). Pretty decent price (a bit over $2K off sticker), but I wish I knew what invoice was.

HUH ????
Why can't you find out what it is ?
That should be easy .....
Rob .....

Strokerswild 07-04-2012 11:54 AM

I've seen what the invoice should be via various websites, but where can I look and find the exact number?

demarpaint 07-04-2012 12:34 PM

I'm with Ric. I'm waiting on a 2013. I don't mind paying a little more to be sure the 2012 ticking Pentastar issue is history.

Roshko 07-04-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm with Ric. I'm waiting on a 2013. I don't mind paying a little more to be sure the 2012 ticking Pentastar issue is history.

The engines for these vehicles are made waaaaay before your jeep is ready to be built. They don't build the engine when you order. They order the motor when the jeep is ready for it. Soooo, even if you bought 2013, your motor might have still been manufactured in 2011. Food for thought.

demarpaint 07-04-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roshko (Post 2544727)
The engines for these vehicles are made waaaaay before your jeep is ready to be built. They don't build the engine when you order. They order the motor when the jeep is ready for it. Soooo, even if you bought 2013, your motor might have still been manufactured in 2011. Food for thought.


I hear ya. Some say they keep about 2-4 weeks ahead of production. I also read the 2013's are coming through with the new head, shame no one here who works for Jeep will comment. Either way I'll wait until October or so to see how the 2013's are doing. I've waited this long a little longer won't hurt, I hate to scrap the idea all together but I can do that too.

JeepDawg97 07-04-2012 01:16 PM

I would like to wait on a 2013 but no Flame Red =( and not sure what this Rock Lobster color will be like.

Paveslave 07-04-2012 01:31 PM

I would say as long as you can find exactly what you want as a 12, then get it now. Otherwise, wait and order the 13 exactly how you want it. Either way, good luck with the hunt!

Slimpickins 07-04-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strokerswild
I am suddenly in the same boat - the finally wife caved and I got the OK to buy.

Local dealer has a white '12 Arctic 2-door, with every option I want except automatic trans (not a deal breaker). Pretty decent price (a bit over $2K off sticker), but I wish I knew what invoice was.

I priced out a '13 with the toys I want (with auto), and it'll be about $800 more than the '12. Don't really care if I have to wait.....

Hmmm.

Just aheads up! After I drowned my Arctic I just bought a '12 MW3 that had a sticker of $42k after dealer added options for $36.5 an the invoice built on NADA was $39. The dealer has a black MW3 with soft top for just under $36, mine is hard top. Maybe no the best deal ever but I was pretty happy to get that price with the bumpers and hood.

AUskier 07-04-2012 06:30 PM

Well so far I've emailed back and forth with 3 internet departments today the best offer I got was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3% below invoice. Which was about 3,500 under MSRP. Probably a decent deal on that jeep, but not enough for me to pull the trigger.

One didn't respond at all. One gave me one response with an offer of What appeared to be invoice and not a penny under. So my low ball offers through email didn't seem to get anybody very excited about moving a unit. Not that surprising, I just don't want to go in and spend time in the dealrships on a long shot.

On the engine thing, who knows... I'll definitely try for a lifetime engine warranty on either my 2012 or 2013. I sure would hope that if they knew they had a head problem (or whatever the specific part is) that they would make a running change as soon as they could get the tooling done. Continueing to make bad engines will cost them not only in repairs but would be a real PR issue. I'm not too concerned abut the engine in a late 2012 vs an early 2013, but if it is fixed the resell on the 2013 could be better.

Since I'll keep this thing 10 years I'm not sure that 2012 vs 2013 will make a huge difference at resell, but I guess it could make a little. I don't think that's enough to make me wait, it's more about if I could have a significant savings now, or if I can't find exactly what I want and have to order

Strokerswild 07-04-2012 06:41 PM

I keep daily drivers 8-10 years typically also....

Up Hill Bill 07-04-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strokerswild (Post 2544620)
I've seen what the invoice should be via various websites, but where can I look and find the exact number?

Use Milous' 2012 information thread. He has every model and option listed with MSRP and invoice.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ml#post1352533


It's a bit of a chore, but, if you are careful, you will know exactly what invoice is. And you really want to be a totally informed customer when your talking about this kind of money and a vehicle you want to keep for the long run!

If you need help interpreting it, we can help you.... :thumb:

Strokerswild 07-04-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 2545869)
Use Milous' 2012 information thread. He has every model and option listed with MSRP and invoice.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ml#post1352533


It's a bit of a chore, but, if you are careful, you will know exactly what invoice is. And you really want to be a totally informed customer when your talking about this kind of money and a vehicle you want to keep for the long run!

If you need help interpreting it, we can help you.... :thumb:

Aha, searched for this but couldn't seem to locate it. :)

It would seem that the dealer has the Arctic in question priced right at invoice, give or take $20 or so. The question is how far I can push.....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.