Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Spare tire won't fit after rear bumper install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/spare-tire-wont-fit-after-rear-bumper-install-171362.html)

roastemover 07-05-2012 02:22 AM

Spare tire won't fit after rear bumper install

I'm a newb Jeep owner and just installed a Smittybuilt rock crawler rear bumper on my 06 TJ. After the install the spare tire (32') will not fit, sits on the bumper and needs about 1.5 to 2 inches more space. Does anyone know of an adapter or have any ideas? I know this has to be somewhat common???

TJDave 07-05-2012 02:32 AM

1.25" Body lift.

Tub mounted spare tire carrier...Or Fab, or Bestop.

I think Warrior products makes a different stock type tire carrier for oversize tires. But, you would be adding more leverage on the tailgate. The stock tailgate really can't handle a tire larger than 31" for very long unless you make sure that the rubber snubbers are extended out to the tire. That will keep the tire from bouncing around and help prolong the life of your tailgate. But even doing that, some people still have had problems. I was lucky and ran a 33" tire on my stock carrier for a couple years with no issues before I bought a Bestop tire carrier. But without my 1.25" body lift, it would not have fit.

AFGUY1980 07-05-2012 02:55 AM

You don't need a body lift and it is fine to run a 33 inch tire on the stock mount. I have been doing it for years on several different jeep tj's. There are a few company's who make brackets that will extend the tire out off the gate an inch or so. I have even seen a bracket that lifts the tire up vertically off of your bumper. Stay away from body lifts. They are bad news and they look nasty. Good luck

TnDz TJ 07-05-2012 06:30 AM

Just grab some 1.25" square stock and space the carrier off the gate for clearance....

Neil F. 07-05-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TnDz TJ (Post 2546757)
Just grab some 1.25" square stock and space the carrier off the gate for clearance....

If you do the above, or whatever you do it is VERY important that you keep the rubber bumpers on the tailgate and tub tight against the tire. It the bouncing and twisting of the spare that will wear on the tailgate hinges and carrier causing problems. Space the bumpers out as required to keep contact with the tire.

TJDave 07-05-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGUY1980 (Post 2546551)
You don't need a body lift and it is fine to run a 33 inch tire on the stock mount. I have been doing it for years on several different jeep tj's.

I am curious how you gained the clearance without a small body lift and the stock carrier. Mine would not fit with the stock bumper, or my aftermarket bumper.
With clearance, and properly supported, running on a stock carrier will work just fine. If the Jeep sees mostly pavement, it would probably last a lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGUY1980 (Post 2546551)
Stay away from body lifts. They are bad news and they look nasty.

I am also curious of the "bad news" that will happen with just a 1.25" body lift. It's pretty much a requirement if you want to do a tummy tuck. I am surprised that Rokman, Savvy, or UCF does not include this warning when they sell their high clearance transfer case skids. Savvy even includes a 1.25" body lift with their Under Armor system.

To each their own I guess. My 1.25" body lift is barely noticeable. Less noticeable than the ridiculous looking stock dirt brake/TC skid that used to hang down underneath my Jeep. No bad news with my BL after 4 years.

TJspeed 07-05-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGUY1980
Stay away from body lifts. They are bad news and they look nasty. Good luck

You should read up a bit more. A small body lift does some good. A 1.25" body lift is perfect added with a 1" motor lift. Fixes drive line, allows a tummy tuck easier, allows an aftermarket gas skid to install easier, allows just that extra bit of clearance for tires. But 2" and more are just dumb and look bad and cause issues. Those are a bad idea. But a 1.25" and less is perfect.

roastemover 07-05-2012 11:41 AM

Thanks for all the input, I will look at all those options. This is exactly why the forum is a great tool for newbs.

TnDz TJ 07-05-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F.

If you do the above, or whatever you do it is VERY important that you keep the rubber bumpers on the tailgate and tub tight against the tire. It the bouncing and twisting of the spare that will wear on the tailgate hinges and carrier causing problems. Space the bumpers out as required to keep contact with the tire.

Lol. I kinda left that out thinking that was a no-brainer that needed to be done.