Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   New York Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f98/)
-   -   Upstate NY? Need a laugh? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f98/upstate-ny-need-a-laugh-17199.html)

UNLIMITLESS 03-31-2008 06:51 PM

Upstate NY? Need a laugh?

Just got an email from my friend in NYC.

Things that you understand if you live in upstate New York:

1. Your idea of a traffic jam is 10 cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
2. You measure distance in hours.
3. You know several people who have hit deer more than once.
4. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
5. You stay in your house most of the summer because you aren't used to the heat.
6. You drive at 55 mph through 10 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.
7. You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.
8. You install security lights on your house and garage but leave both unlocked.
9. One of your neighbors constantly has bonfires.
10. You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them.
11. There are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at the supermarket at any given time.
12. Your idea of a huge party is one with lots of cheap beer and some people you go to school with.
13. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled in with snow.
14. You know 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, cold, construction.
15. It takes you 2 hours to go to the store for one item even when you're in a rush because you have to stop and talk to everyone in town.
16. At least 6 people that you see a day have beards and stains on the front of their shirt.
17. Cows are just part of the scenery.
18. At least fives times in your normal travel day you will pass or be passed by a beat-up, old ass car that has had an attempted pimping out, such as a brand new oversized spoiler on a rust covered trunk, spinning hubcaps, or everyone's favorite, the performance exhaust on a car running on barely three cylinders.
19. You know that the phrase, "Goin up ta," applies to going north, south, east, or west, up or down in elevation, and pretty much any other way you can travel.
20. The smell of freshly spread cow manure doesn't bother you.
21. Its perfectly normal for your life's aspirations to be working for the county.
22. Getting "dressed up" means tucking your shirt into your jeans and putting on clean work boots.
23. Halloween costumes are always designed around a snowsuit and winter boots.
24. You know damn well that the Verizon guy didn't walk through your town going, "Can you hear me now?" because reception is, at best, limited.
25. You know what 4-H is.
26. You ever went to a party that was held about 20 miles down a deserted dirt road.
27. You said the 'F' word and your parents knew within an hour.
28. You ever went or thought about going cow-tipping.
29. It was cool to date someone from a neighboring town.
30. You had a senior skip day.
31. You can't help but date a friend's ex.
32. Your car is always filthy from the dirt roads.
33. The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snotty" when it is just like your town.
34. Getting paid minimum wage is considered a raise.
35. You refer to anyone with a house newer than 1980 as the "rich people."
36. The people in the big city dress funny then you pick up on the cool new trend two years later.
37. You bragged to your friends because you got pipes on your truck for your birthday.
38. On Fridays, anyone you want to find can be found at Main Street or the Dairy Queen.
39. Weekend excitement involves a trip to RiteAid.
40. Even the ugly people enter beauty contests.
41. You decide to walk for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you need a ride.
42. Your teachers call you by your older sibling's name.
43. You leave your jacket on the back of the chair in the cafe, and when you go back the next day, it's still there, on the same chair.
44. You don't signal turns because everyone knows where you're going, anyway.
45. You call a wrong number and they supply you with the correct one.
46. You have to name six surrounding towns to explain to people where you're from.
47. Driving to the party on a four wheeler is quite normal.
48. The town population increases by one-third when the universities go on break.
49. You laugh your head off reading this because you know it's true and then forward it to everyone in your address book, which is actually half your town.

brian12566 12-17-2009 11:31 AM

I live in Pine Bush, and was laughing my ass off at #14. Great post.

Samsrubicon 03-11-2010 10:30 AM

brian i dont live that far from you, im in glenmont

buschman 06-08-2011 08:24 PM

50. people ask to hunt in your back yard

Irongrave 06-08-2011 08:37 PM

so ture, from albany, have a cabin in the middle of the damn woods near long lake and suck in the suburban hell they call Westchester County

Fizzgiz 06-14-2011 09:48 PM

:rofl:That was great! We live in Brant Lake, but came from Westchester.

tomkaren 06-15-2011 06:22 AM

Live now in Florida(the state, not town). Grew up in the Village of Colonie. And you all know where that is.

jspeer1130 06-15-2011 06:35 AM

The same things are true for Ohio...

Bear94 07-19-2011 11:04 PM

From Washingtonville so I know what your talking about. My town is next to Monroe/Woodbury.

sconnors 08-24-2011 01:55 PM

I live in Stephentown...so true!!

Ben-o 01-15-2012 12:20 AM

I live on the outskirts of a town named nunda in NY...haven't heard of it? That's why I'm laughing at how true this is lol

XJ Knight 01-15-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben-o (Post 1922448)
I live on the outskirts of a town named nunda in NY...haven't heard of it? That's why I'm laughing at how true this is lol

I've been through there once on the way to the 390. I usually have kept my adventures in the past to the west side of letchworth but have looked at whats around the east side of it

DarthJeep 01-15-2012 05:00 AM

:rofl: I don't think I've seen a top 50 hit on every single one like this did:)

Ben-o 01-15-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight
I've been through there once on the way to the 390. I usually have kept my adventures in the past to the west side of letchworth but have looked at whats around the east side of it

Haha wow I'm a bit surprised anyone on the forum would know, glad to hear it. Do you camp in letchworth? Or live near by

Samsrubicon 01-16-2012 12:24 AM

you know you're from new york when, you have 1" of snow on the ground and people are fucking blown away!

XJ Knight 01-16-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben-o (Post 1925371)
Haha wow I'm a bit surprised anyone on the forum would know, glad to hear it. Do you camp in letchworth? Or live near by

Im 15 min south of buffalo but use to research and wheel seasonal roads in the southern tier durring the winter. Jeepless now so I don't do it currently.. I have not yet camped in letchworth.. actually never really got into camping as it was somehting my dad or my friends were really interested in when i was growing up.. I drove through nunda so I could take the 390 down to bath ny for a backcountry4wheeler event as they own there own property and hold 2 or 3 events there a year

Ben-o 01-16-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight
Im 15 min south of buffalo but use to research and wheel seasonal roads in the southern tier durring the winter. Jeepless now so I don't do it currently.. I have not yet camped in letchworth.. actually never really got into camping as it was somehting my dad or my friends were really interested in when i was growing up.. I drove through nunda so I could take the 390 down to bath ny for a backcountry4wheeler event as they own there own property and hold 2 or 3 events there a year

O that's pretty cool I'll have to check that out its maybe 40min from me

stangmata 01-16-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNLIMITLESS (Post 213593)
2. You measure distance in hours.
3. You know several people who have hit deer more than once.
6. You drive at 55 mph through 10 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.

8. You install security lights on your house and garage but leave both unlocked.
9. One of your neighbors constantly has bonfires.

14. You know 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, cold, construction.

20. The smell of freshly spread cow manure doesn't bother you.
21. Its perfectly normal for your life's aspirations to be working for the county.
22. Getting "dressed up" means tucking your shirt into your jeans and putting on clean work boots.
23. Halloween costumes are always designed around a snowsuit and winter boots.

26. You ever went to a party that was held about 20 miles down a deserted dirt road.

47. Driving to the party on a four wheeler is quite normal.

Meh. Some of them were true. Some of my buds from up in the Adirondack areas probably got more of them. I was out by Rochester.

kparker 02-12-2012 05:38 PM

I live in very Northern NY (Lisbon, NY), right across from the Canadian border and this cracked me up!

My version would be:
1. Your idea of a traffic jam is 5 cars waiting to pass an Amish Buggy on the highway.
2. You measure distance in hours and give directions using only landmarks (like take a right at the big hill or the ol' barn).
3. You know several people who have hit deer more than once within a few miles of their own house.

stangmata 02-12-2012 06:51 PM

For those from Rochester. This is hilariously accurate...except there should be more bitching about 104.

[youtube]gIhvPiyTqxs[/youtube]

neekidoodle 03-23-2012 03:33 PM

Im from Hamptonburgh, that's real funny!!

MikD 03-23-2012 06:55 PM

Hamptonburg! Your right around the corner from me!

Mumbles 09-18-2012 09:40 PM

Lmao

stonewall_jeep 10-28-2012 03:34 PM

from rochester but currently in college in canton, love love love number 14 and 6!

warbird24 11-03-2012 06:43 AM

That Video is so very true! LMAO! I gotta send that to one of my High School friends that now lives in Virginia. He's still a BILLS Fan!

cakes567 11-24-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonewall_jeep
from rochester but currently in college in canton, love love love number 14 and 6!

Hey im from the Rochesterto area to!

chaseskii88 11-24-2012 11:41 PM

Chateaugay ny here

irishcanadian469 01-16-2013 09:52 PM

Chateaugay as well

richsipe 01-16-2013 10:00 PM

I used to live in East Rochester as a kid so completely different than the big city of Rochester :) Parents were volunteer ambulance drivers and dad was pastor of the Lutheran Church ... ahhh small town USA. Sadly, though, I am glad I moved out West as I am not particular to bullet rationing :0

MikD 01-17-2013 08:05 AM

Bullet rationing...this is NY were only gonna need one...