Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   steering shock question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/steering-shock-question-17215.html)

MrBash 04-01-2008 02:47 AM

steering shock question

My steering shock is completely busted. All of the oil from the shock has spilled. I've been wheeling with that shock busted for over a few weeks now. Would the busted steering shock cuase any problems to other parts? Should I get it replaced right away?

USBrit 04-01-2008 02:59 AM

The function of the steering shock - especially with oversized tires - is to cut out most of the vibration and wobble caused by the tires and wheels when driving on the road. If you have ever experienced Death Wobble you would be looking for a new shock right now. That said; if you do not have any steering wobble there will not be any abnormal stress on your steering components and it will be ok for a while; but I would personally rather have a steering shock that I knew was in good shape.

mrbigjeep 04-01-2008 11:04 AM

a steering stabilizer isn't a cure to death wobble...it only masks the problem

Jerry Bransford 04-01-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 213821)
a steering stabilizer isn't a cure to death wobble...it only masks the problem

Precisely. A bad/broken steering stabilizer is no more the cause of Death Wobble than a band-aid causes the wound underneath it.

MrBash 04-01-2008 01:54 PM

Thanx guys. I'm not feeling any wobbling so I'll just leave it the way it is for now.

richp 04-01-2008 02:07 PM

Those dampeners make it pretty much nicer to drive, it does not have to be anything fancy, a $26 monroe will work just fine. I have a Rubicon on my XJ and monroes on the TJ's, at least I think they are Monroe, they are white and came in a generic box.

USBrit 04-01-2008 08:03 PM

Did not mention cure

I completely agree, the stabilizer is not a cure for DW and I did not say that it was. I meant that I would rather lay out $75 for a stabilizer than go though an episode. After having a few DW turns right after my lift but before the alignment I looked online for information regarding it and there is plenty. There appear many remedies but no definite cures that will apply to all. Basically a good alignment is the best way to avoid it.

DiPietro 04-01-2008 08:07 PM

Would I notice a difference in ride quality if I upgraded to a skyjacker or Rancho?? I have always wondered

Jerry Bransford 04-01-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiPietro (Post 214142)
Would I notice a difference in ride quality if I upgraded to a skyjacker or Rancho?? I have always wondered

No, not if you're talking about a steering stabilizer. When an upgraded (bigger than OE) stabilizer is needed is when you go to bigger tires, like 32-33" or bigger. Big tires easily overpower the OE stabilizer so that's when it's appropriate to replace the OE stabilizer. :)