Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Difference Between Wranglers? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/difference-between-wranglers-172151.html)

brricewarrior68 07-08-2012 02:11 PM

Difference Between Wranglers?
 
I am 17 and the Jeep Wrangler is my dream car. I am currently saving up so that I can buy it my first year outta college (around age 22/23). This would be used as my primary car.

I know the Jeep changes from year to year, but I am trying to identify in general what kind of Jeep Wrangler I am looking for.

1). I know I want a two door and not a four door. Is that the only difference between the Wrangler and Wrangler unlimited?

2). What is the difference between the Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon? (In English, I'm not so great with all the tech specs/car talk just yet)

Thank you!

ESP 07-08-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brricewarrior68 (Post 2558771)
I am 17 and the Jeep Wrangler is my dream car.


http://khonsa02.files.wordpress.com/...en-and-gun.jpg

Dylanjwhall 07-08-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

What he is saying don't call a jeep a car, think of the sport as your base model the Sahara has all your fancy things on the inside Chrome bling things on the outside and the rubicon being ment for the enthusiast who's gonna be taking it off road

MudRunner 07-08-2012 02:38 PM

1) Yes the only difference between the wrangler and wrangler unlimited is the number of doors and wheelbase

2) To start off all wranglers are very capable off road vehicles so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The sport is the basic model. Then there is the "s" package which can be added to provide power windows locks etc. Then there OS the Sahara which provides abit more luxury. Things that you can't get on a sport include color matched fenders and hardtop, leather/heated seats (I believe), etc. Then there is the Rubicon which is the most expensive and can include all of the luxuries of the Sahara with off-road goodies such as lockers, HD springs and front axle, disconnecting sway bar etc. Many people buy Rubicons with no intention of using them off-road and just for the name. Atleast that's what I find in my area. IMO this is a waste but whatever. In your case based on the funds which with likely be available after college I would go with a sport as they can be easily upgraded and are cheaper. I am a similar age to when you say you want to get a wrangler and I love mine. Good luck :thumb:

ESP 07-08-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudRunner (Post 2558868)
1) Yes the only difference between the wrangler and wrangler unlimited is the number of doors and wheelbase

2) To start off all wranglers are very capable off road vehicles so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The sport is the basic model. Then there is the "s" package which can be added to provide power windows locks etc. Then there OS the Sahara which provides abit more luxury. Things that you can't get on a sport include color matched fenders and hardtop, leather/heated seats (I believe), etc. Then there is the Rubicon which is the most expensive and can include all of the luxuries of the Sahara with off-road goodies such as lockers, HD springs and front axle, disconnecting sway bar etc. Many people buy Rubicons with no intention of using them off-road and just for the name. Atleast that's what I find in my area. IMO this is a waste but whatever. In your case based on the funds which with likely be available after college I would go with a sport as they can be easily upgraded and are cheaper. I am a similar age to when you say you want to get a wrangler and I love mine. Good luck :thumb:

Ahhh!! my sport doesn't have a front axle then?!?! :eek:

kjeeper10 07-08-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

Ahhh!! my sport doesn't have a front axle then?!?! :eek:

Rofl

LoneHowler 07-08-2012 02:59 PM

How the dealer explained it to me is the Sport is the bare bones model, The Sahara is going to have power windows and other fancy upgrades, The Rubicon is the one with axle disconnect and other stuff for the serious off roader

Dozer13JK 07-08-2012 03:01 PM

1.) That is correct. Wrangler Unlimited's are the 4 door models. Plain Wranglers are 2 door.

2.) From least expensive to most expensive it goes Sport, Sport S, Sahara, Rubicon, MW3. The sport model is the basic "bare bones" Wrangler. It is still equipped with 4WD and the same engine as all other models. Adding options to the Sport model is most limited. You can add air conditioning, better gearing, and a few other options as well. Moving up to the the Sport S gives you bigger wheels/tires and even more options that you can add on that you couldn't do so with the Sport package. Sahara's are the more luxury model. Nicer seats, power windows/locks, and etc. Rubicon and MW3 are the best out of the box factory models that are built to off road. You get the best gearing, an upgraded front axle, bigger wheels/tires plus loads of other little extras that are not offered on lower trim packages.

I suggest going to the official Jeep website and browsing around on it. It will give you all the details. I would also say check out wikipedia and type in "Jeep Wrangler". It explains a lot as well.

kjeeper10 07-08-2012 03:09 PM

Is there really one thing that distinguishes the Sahara now besides the badge?

I mean, the sahara used to be the only model with body a matching hard top and flares. Now you can do so on the rubicon :faceplam:

The Rubicon is pretty much loaded to the gills but not necessarily the most expressive. A heavily equipped sport/Saraha with LSD can be close in price.

Dozer13JK 07-08-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2558937)
Is there really one thing that distinguishes the Sahara now besides the badge?

I mean, the sahara used to be the only model with body a matching hard top and flares. Now you can do so on the rubicon :faceplam:

The Rubicon is pretty much loaded to the gills but not necessarily the most expressive. A heavily equipped sport/Saraha with LSD can be close in price.

What I noticed that really sets the Sahara apart is the front stock bumper. Sahara models have the silver trim in the middle while all other trim packages are all black. Not that it makes much of a different but that is how I can point a Sahara out. Hell, I like the all black bumpers better anyways.

Osage Orange 07-08-2012 03:33 PM

I have a bare bones Sport, not even the S model and I think its pretty well put together for a cheapo model. I suggest getting that one first and build as you go. I have the 2 door and removed the backseat, but 2 or 4 door is up to your needs entirely.

MudRunner 07-08-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

Ahhh!! my sport doesn't have a front axle then?!?! :eek:

The HD part was in reference to the front axle as well. HD as in heavy duty because the Rubicon has a Dana 44 front rather than a 30. Sorry for the confusion

TheWil 07-08-2012 05:13 PM

I am 17 as well (on Aug 2nd) and i have a 2011 Wrangler Sport S 2dr
1) The only difference would be the size and number of doors. The Unlimited is a bit longer and in some cases is better to climb hills and such, however, the 2 door is shorter and thus more maneuverable. There is only one instance where I would prefer a 4dr to a 2dr and that is when climbing a steep hill. The extra length is better, but other than that I would like to have a 2dr.

2) The Sport is the base model, doesn't come with much but it has room to grow. The Sport S is like the Sport but more "civilized" with A/C, better radio, etc. The Rubicon has more "out of the box" off road features, like better tires, electronic sway bar disconnect, lockers. I prefer the Sport because I plan to replace the tires anyway, I wouldn't use the electric sway bar disconnect very much (and if i do need it then i can manually disconnect it, inbd), and the lockers i would upgrade anyway. Finally, the Sahara is the Sport S to the Rubicon. It has body color fenders and optional hard top, the Sahara logo, and other 'upgrades' like that. In my opinion these are all pointless because it is all stock and I would replace it anyway. With the Sahara I would feel less able to mod it and make the Jeep my own.

In the end, it is all up to you, this is just my opinion. A few things about the wrangler to note: Don't call it a car, wave at other Wranglers, and it isn't jsut a Jeep.. It's a way of life :thumb:

JReed615 07-08-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylanjwhall

What he is saying don't call a jeep a car

I don't get this. By definition, a jeep is considered a car. You are just thinking about a "car" the wrong way.

Osage Orange 07-08-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWil
The Sport S is like the Sport but more "civilized" with A/C,

I ordered my non-S with A/C, so my tiger has a little lap cat to it. RRAAAR!!!!

kjeeper10 07-08-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed615

I don't get this. By definition, a jeep is considered a car. You are just thinking about a "car" the wrong way.

:nonono:

JReed615 07-08-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

:nonono:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Car?s=t&ld=1031

I think a jeep fits into #1 pretty well

kik 07-08-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed615 (Post 2559252)
I don't get this. By definition, a jeep is considered a car. You are just thinking about a "car" the wrong way.

Actually, in my area motor vehicles considers my YJ as a wagon and the JK as a light truck. Not a "car". :thumb:

kjeeper10 07-08-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik

Actually, in my area motor vehicles considers my YJ as a wagon and the JK as a light truck. Not a "car". :thumb:

:thumb:

Can I call a car a jeep then? Just sayin :D

spankinkopita 07-08-2012 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See below

kjeeper10 07-08-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankinkopita
See below

That's wrong In so many ways :D

CA3 07-08-2012 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed615 (Post 2559372)
Car | Define Car at Dictionary.com

I think a jeep fits into #1 pretty well

No, no. Let me... Base on your lame Dictionary.com criteria...

Jeep | Define Jeep at Dictionary.com

I don't see the word car anywhere. Do you?

WXman 07-08-2012 06:30 PM

"CAR" is short for "Carrier". Since Jeeps were primarily invented for carrying troops, by definition a Jeep Wrangler IS a "car". Google is your friend. :)

Now.. back to topic.. I think personally that a Sport model is a great starting point for a first time owner. In fact, I drive a Sport S and I love it and find that it has EVERYTHING I need and nothing I don't.

lee indy 07-08-2012 06:31 PM

you guys are special

kjeeper10 07-08-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy
you guys are special

x2

JReed615 07-08-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA3

No, no. Let me... Base on your lame Dictionary.com criteria...

Jeep | Define Jeep at Dictionary.com

I don't see the word car anywhere. Do you?

There is many words that have similar meaning... Such as vehicle and car, the words can be interchanged. So, no I don't see the word car anywhere, but I do see vehicle which has a similar meaning.

JReed615 07-08-2012 08:01 PM

[QUOTE="WXman"]"CAR" is short for "Carrier". Since Jeeps were primarily invented for carrying troops, by definition a Jeep Wrangler IS a "car". Google is your friend. :)/QUOTE]

Good point, thanks for the support! Haha

woodyaks 07-08-2012 08:50 PM

I've had my Sport S JK for about 8 months now. Loving it so far but kinda wished I custom ordered a Rubicon now. I don't do a lot of off-loading but like the idea of having all that capability built-in.

mcdull 07-09-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA3 (Post 2559462)
No, no. Let me... Base on your lame Dictionary.com criteria...

Jeep | Define Jeep at Dictionary.com

I don't see the word car anywhere. Do you?

There is nothing said "truck" either.
Should we all start calling it a "vehicle"? :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed615 (Post 2559834)
There is many words that have similar meaning... Such as vehicle and car, the words can be interchanged. So, no I don't see the word car anywhere, but I do see vehicle which has a similar meaning.

To me, and as a software engineeing, car is the superset, truck is a subset of car, and there are many subsets of car like sedan, wagon, convertible and etc.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but you can't argue with people here (and for some reason they like killing cats too) :hide:

rics1997 07-09-2012 12:48 AM

All are the same base, It has to do with packages.

The Sport is the base no frills basically but you can add a lot of options to it. The Sport S is a nice upgrade package to the Sport with things like standard 17" wheels and some comfort upgrades. All models are basically a sport with standard option added to them.

The Sahara is basically a Sport with a luxury package. Painted fenders and hardtop options with most of the comfort features like power windows.

The Rubicon takes the base model to a all new level of performance to help with rock crawling. It was designed for the Rubicon trail. Of course these features can help on other trails as well but not always necessary. It's major feature for rocks crawling is its 4:1 transfer case. The Sport and Sahara is 2.72:1. It also has a front axle upgrade to Dana 44's. The Sport and Sahara has the D30's up front. All JK's (except for a few 2007 models) have D44 rear axles. Also the Rubicon has 4.10 gear ratio even though the 2012 and up now had 3.73 also. Not sure why, it suppose to be a Rubicon. It also has front and rear lockers and sway bar disconnects. It also has shock upgrades and other features to make it a very nice package but the Sport and Sahara are very capable Jeeps as well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.