Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Help with trail warning signs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/help-with-trail-warning-signs-172248.html)

bmbillups 07-08-2012 09:00 PM

Help with trail warning signs

I live in Wilmington, NC. Just moved here from WV. Almost all the trails you can find around here have 'no trespassing' or 'posted' signs on them so i obviously dont bother with them. I found one trail that looked like it led to power lines, it did have a sign but it read 'warning. survalence cameras in use. all illegal activity will be recorded.' Thats all it said, nothing about private property or no trespassing. Would it be legal to ride on the trail? What do you guys think?
Thanks!!! :)

Dusty Rhodes 07-08-2012 10:15 PM

I have wheeled on "pole line roads" many times. No problems. Some of them are really cool and one in particular crosses a nice little stream that is secluded and almost impossible to get to other than the pole road.
I have been "caught" driving on unmarked property but I calmly say " I take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but tire tracks. I respect other peoples stuff, I will leave right now".
One land owner even said "Aw go ahead but don't make a habit out it". He had followed me for a few minutes in his truck and watched me for quite a while.

bmbillups 07-08-2012 10:21 PM

So you think id be ok under the lines if i dont tear it up out there? If cops catch you would there be fines?

Barrie 07-08-2012 10:21 PM

Fair warning people, WF takes a very dim view of ANY illegal wheeling. All it is, is ammo for the tree huggers to use against us. :thumb:

bmbillups 07-08-2012 10:41 PM

Well Barrie we dont neccessarily know if its illegal. Like i said in the original post it didnt say no trespassing or whatever, it just said any illegal activity will be recorded. I wonder if it means drinking and driving or illegal drugs or something. Is wheeling considered illegal i guess is the real question

Patrick H 07-08-2012 11:37 PM

I'd contact the local law enforcement and/ or the city/ county and just find out for sure.

bmbillups 07-08-2012 11:40 PM

Thats a pretty smart idea, thanks Patrick!

Patrick H 07-08-2012 11:42 PM

:thumb:

cfarlow89 07-09-2012 08:28 AM

If you're looking for a good place to camp and wheel in NC, check out Uwharrie National Forest in Troy, NC. You're probably around 3 to 4 hours away, but it makes for a fun weekend in the Jeep. Only costs 5 bucks for a pass at the El Dorado Outpost and they give you a free map.

geiman 07-09-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 2560637)
I'd contact the local law enforcement and/ or the city/ county and just find out for sure.

Yep; I have no idea how things are in NC, but here in PA if you don't have explicit permission to be on the land, it's illegal and you're trespassing. If you're caught the first time I believe it's a $300 fine, the second time they can take your vehicle.

Plus it gives the rest of us a bad name.

TJDave 07-09-2012 08:57 AM

X2. Just because there is no sign telling you to stay out, by no means does that mean it's ok to take your Jeep there. Even if it looks like a trail/road that has been previously traveled.

I don't have a sign on my lawn, or the rock wall on my property. But I sure as hell don't want anyone driving their Jeep on it.

Barrie 07-09-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbillups (Post 2560441)
Well Barrie we dont neccessarily know if its illegal. Like i said in the original post it didnt say no trespassing or whatever, it just said any illegal activity will be recorded. I wonder if it means drinking and driving or illegal drugs or something. Is wheeling considered illegal i guess is the real question

Myself I would err on the side of caution and not go there till I knew exactlly what the rules/laws were.

tanksoldier 07-09-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbillups (Post 2560441)
Well Barrie we dont neccessarily know if its illegal.

Like a judge said once: "Doesn't matter if you didn't know who the land belongs to, you knew it doesn't belong to you".

If you don't KNOW the land is OK to wheel, better to assume it's NOT than to assume it IS.

jeepers29 07-09-2012 09:43 AM

Until you have permission from the land owner, consider it illegal.