Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Factory Heated Seat Install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/factory-heated-seat-install-172420.html)

PLO231 07-09-2012 02:43 PM

Factory Heated Seat Install

I have a 12 JKUR MW3 that came loaded minus the heated seats. I am going to work on a factory install but can't find much info about parts and wiring to figure out what I need. I looked at my seats yesterday and they both have the heating elements installed. The wires are there, so I'm going to try and make it work. I know I need a new switch panel and I beleive there is a heated seat controller under the passenger seat. At least, I read that in a post that showed some wiring information for the 12 JKU.
Can someone look under the passenger seat and see if you have a controller?
Also, I have found that my fuse box in the engine bay has a yellow 20 amp fuse in spot M8. M8 is the front heated seats fuse.
So the seats have the heating elements and wires plugged into something and the fuse box has a fuse so I assume it's wired for heated seats. I just need to figure out if there is a controller and order a new switch panel with the heated seat buttons. My Jeep has the freaking engine block heater option but no heated seats??? WTF!
If anyone has access to the factory manual with wiring diagrams, please chime in.
Thanks

SilverSport 07-09-2012 03:56 PM

My 2012 does not have heated seats and there is no controller under the passenger seat. The wiring harnesses currently there are for the occupant sensor and seat position sensor. Are you confusing the support grid with heating elements because my seat doesn't have any heating elements.

The Mopar kit will come with the harnesses, heating elements, switch and instructions. It's plug-n-play. If you get the Mopar kit be advised, the part number has changed for the 2012 model. Different than the 2007-2011 part number.

Strokerswild 07-09-2012 04:28 PM

I thought all the MW3s had heated seats as part of the package???

dmetzler 07-09-2012 05:09 PM

Does any one have the Mopar kit part number for the 2012 model?

I found the switch module with the seat heat switches here:
Mopar Parts Online Wholesale Prices

As far as I understand the dealer will need to activate the new switches. Can anyone confirm?

dmetzler 07-09-2012 05:19 PM

Found the part number for the 2011-2012 Mopar heater kit: 82212697

SilverSport 07-09-2012 05:58 PM

Disregard my first post, I don't have the MW3. Missed that when I read the OP's post. :facepalm:

PLO231 07-09-2012 06:11 PM

The Mopar kit is an aftermarket install. Totally different from a factory install.
Is there someone with access to factory manuals? Someone has to be a Jeep Tech.

PLO231 07-11-2012 10:30 AM

:whistling:

dmetzler 09-26-2012 11:50 AM

This has been quiet for a while.

Checking back to see as I am still interested in adding the factory heated seats/switches rather than an aftermarket kit.

Iven13Jeep 11-06-2012 10:41 PM

Bump
I am looking into this as well. Doesn't have to be factory heating elements I'm just concerned about the factory buttons. I'm new to wranglers but there has got to be a way to make them work.....right? Right?:confused:

Anyone with knowledge on this panel of switches care to explain?

Nomadarmy 11-06-2012 11:07 PM

...was wanting this as well... and have seen the "factory" MOPAR kit.... it is not the same thing that you get from the factory .... anyone know how we get that one??

ShoreWrangler 11-07-2012 03:40 AM

I'm not sure why folks have such heartburn over the switch location on the dealer installed mopar heated seat kit. Would I prefer them to be in the original factory location - yeah I guess so. But I think they way they mounted them in mine looks great. If you didn't know any better you would think it was the factory location. Just saying the actual heated seats are what you are paying for, just because the switch is in a different place shouldn't be a deal breaker in my opinion. Here is where they installed them on mine. I'm real happy with the look and the seat work GREAT!

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3038/dsc03808h.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1052/dsc03809kc.jpg

Jdpatt12 11-07-2012 06:56 AM

I'm having the dealer install heated seats on my jku and nerf bars. The pic of yours is okay with me if that's how they install the switch. Wife's Compass has the heated seats and it was a must have for the jku. Just waiting on parts to come in.

Vette man 11-07-2012 08:55 AM

has anyone tried using the Mopar aftermarket heated seats with the Mopar factory dash switch? Are you able to wire it to those switches instead of the switches that aftermarket comes with

stroked250 11-07-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoreWrangler (Post 2968464)

Install looks great, very clean.

How many temp settings does your kit have? On the OEM buttons have High/Low. Is it the same on yours? The lights make it look like there maybe more options.

drshaws 11-07-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadarmy (Post 2967947)
...was wanting this as well... and have seen the "factory" MOPAR kit.... it is not the same thing that you get from the factory .... anyone know how we get that one??

I'd say find a junkyard that may have a Sahara or Rubi they're parting out.

en480c4 11-07-2012 11:45 AM

After doing quite a bit of research, it appeared that the factory seats can't be added because it runs through the CAN BUS, and wouldn't be something easily programmed or added. I even bought the factory switch panel to determine if I could integrate the factory switches with an aftermarket kit, but they essentially act on contacts on a circuit board, with no real allowance for the addition of a secondary switch or wiring.

I was concerned about the membrane momentary switches that come with the Mopar kit, so I ended up adding the permium rocker momentary switch from Check Corp., who provide the Mopar kit. They weren't cheap, but are fairly robust and look and feel much better than the membrane switches. I also went with a fairly non-standard switch location, and am very pleased with it. There was plenty of harness length with the switches, and plenty of space in this area of the dash. And they're very easily accessible for both the driver and pasenger.

The driver's side is the exact mirror of the passenger side.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...3A5AC39AEE.jpg

And just so people know, the Check Corp./Mopar kit has 3 heat levels. No complaints, very fast heating times and decent variability between the levels... I've had them before where it was like "Why bother?" because they were all similar, or low was barely there and hot was too hot. These don't have those issues.

topless2012 11-07-2012 12:21 PM

Theres and after sale complete add on kit part# 82212697.

On Wranglers from the factory (option code "JPM") the Heated seat module is part# 68138715AA.

drshaws 11-07-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 (Post 2969310)
I was concerned about the membrane momentary switches that come with the Mopar kit, so I ended up adding the permium rocker momentary switch from Check Corp., who provide the Mopar kit. They weren't cheap, but are fairly robust and look and feel much better than the membrane switches. I also went with a fairly non-standard switch location, and am very pleased with it. There was plenty of harness length with the switches, and plenty of space in this area of the dash. And they're very easily accessible for both the driver and pasenger.

How did you special order the rocker switches?

Vette man 11-07-2012 01:02 PM

Can you tell me the costs of the items and the switches to complete the job?

ShoreWrangler 11-07-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stroked250 (Post 2968847)
Install looks great, very clean.

How many temp settings does your kit have? On the OEM buttons have High/Low. Is it the same on yours? The lights make it look like there maybe more options.

They have three settings - High, medium and low

But the Highest setting is just about scalding hot. I use it only to start it from cold, then switch down. Even the lowest setting can get a bit warm.

I would say I use Low 75-80% of the time, medium maybe 15% on really cold days, and like I said I only basically use High to heat it up quicker when first starting the engine

topless2012 11-07-2012 01:39 PM

The 82212697 Kit retails for $305. however dealer's are selling them on ebay for $273. do a seach with the part number on ebay. hope this helps

Nomadarmy 11-07-2012 05:43 PM

great looking install...makes me re-think it now

Nobozos84 11-07-2012 09:06 PM

anyone ever hear of or think of making their driver seat " cooled " like in a Benz or BMW ?

Elarson 11-07-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobozos84
anyone ever hear of or think of making their driver seat " cooled " like in a Benz or BMW ?

Had that on my 2011 hemi Ram Sport model. Loved it in the summer but much tougher to do as it blows the air conditioning up thru the seat. It only worked well because seats were leather but only the center was perforated so the air naturally got channeled that way.

warbird24 11-08-2012 05:42 AM

How many of you installed them yourselves? I know some interiors are easier to do than others. Just wondered how well this went.

en480c4 11-08-2012 06:31 AM

It took me around 4 hours to do both front seats. I'd read that some people had been able to do the install inside the Jeep, but removing the seats wasn't a big deal at all. It was nice having them on a bench to work on. And I used the trick to replace the cut hog rings with small zip ties on the seat bottom... Pull them tight, cut the tail and rotate them around so the bulky part tucks into the cushion.

The premium switch set was $80 shipped. Like I said, not cheap for what you get, but I have no complaints. You can find the contact info for Check Corp. on their website... Say you're looking for the premium switches for your Jeep/Mopar kit (PN SWP-EC4-2RNDM) and they can take care of it right over the phone. I had a contact name I found in thread elsewhere, but I cleaned out my wallet, so I can't seem to find the post-it note with the info.

Vette man 11-08-2012 07:59 AM

Thanks for the info en480c4. If anyone is interested in the mopar heaters there is a vendor on this site Mopar owner parts that has as good a price as ebay.

Vette man 11-08-2012 01:41 PM

This makes no sense to me. I got a hold of Check Corp. they actually make the seat heaters for the Mopar Jeep Wrangler. I asked about just getting them from Check corp and was told that the 2013 wrangler and I believe 2012 have sensors in the passenger seat for air bag. There fore they only sell the heaters for seats with 3 pads, NO pad for passenger seat bottom because of this sensor. Now you can still get the 4 pads from MOPAR made by Check Corp. What is wrong with this picture?

Vette man 11-09-2012 07:54 AM

I have been searching the net and here I believe is the best price on MOPAR part 82212697.http://stevewhiteparts.com/$259.92