Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   How deep is too deep ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/how-deep-is-too-deep-172669.html)

PeteH 07-10-2012 02:15 PM

How deep is too deep ?

Newbie question -- How much water depth can a stock TJ (with 30x9.5x15s) handle ? And what's the limiting factor ? (Someone suggested it's the fan.)

Thanks in advance.

kshaws21 07-10-2012 02:52 PM

Of course there's always a limit, that I can't say. What I can say is to me the main thing when going through water is to do it slowly enough so huge amounts of water are being thrown up into the engine bay. Saw a big jacked up truck on 37s get hydrolocked in a huge puddle that a stocker TJ had no problem with. The difference? The truck hit the water going about 30mph, whereas the Jeep slowly rolled into and creeped through without issue.

homebrwd 07-10-2012 02:56 PM

Its not a matter of creeping its a matter of maintaining a bow wave. That and of course depth. Theoretically your air intake is the limiting height.

DrewG 07-10-2012 03:38 PM

Keeping in mind there's breathers for your diffs, transfer case, and transmission that sit down low (unless you've relocated them...I know some have) and you don't want water getting in any of those things.

Vroooom 07-10-2012 03:45 PM

Another factor....is the water moving?

If its moving water....anything more than mid-wheel can be too deep....it can push you off course in a jiffy and that can get too deep too damn fast.

Crossing Still water...below your airbox.

Cruising for chicks on a flooded street...get a boat.

jefferyc22 07-10-2012 04:00 PM

The fan clutch prevents the fan from being an issue in deep water does it not?

Yoshiltz 07-10-2012 04:01 PM

No deeper than about centerline of the crank for a stock 3 speed trans unless you have relocated the vent tube.

schnutzy 07-10-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrwd (Post 2566807)
Its not a matter of creeping its a matter of maintaining a bow wave. That and of course depth. Theoretically your air intake is the limiting height.

not quite.
your limiting factor is the vent tubes for your diffs and transmission.
find out where they are and relocate them, or dont go deeper then them.

00tj2 07-10-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnutzy (Post 2567360)
not quite.
your limiting factor is the vent tubes for your diffs and transmission.
find out where they are and relocate them, or dont go deeper then them.

Pretty sure both vent tubes have one way valves on them and in stock form the front and rear tubes are just about the same height as the air filter.

Jerry Bransford 07-10-2012 06:13 PM

A lot of this depends on the year TJ you have and the main limiting factor is with TJs old enough to use the AX-5, AX-15, or 32RH transmissions, all of those have vent openings on the transmissions themselves... so if you get into water deep enough to cover the transmissions, and with the 30RH or 32RH even lower than that, water can make its way into the transmission via their vent tubes.

It wasn't until later when he NV3550, NGS370, and 42RLE transmissions started being used when they added remote-opening rubber vent hoses for them that keep the water out.

Not to mention you have to verify the integrity of the remote vent hoses where they are attached to the axles and transfer case for all model year TJs. If those hoses are not securely attached, you can end up with water in the axles and/or transfer case.

To me, it's best to simply avoid deep water and not drive into deep water unless you absolutely have to. It's just not worth the risk.

98 tj sport 07-10-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
A lot of this depends on the year TJ you have and the main limiting factor is with TJs old enough to use the AX-5, AX-15, or 32RH transmissions, all of those have vent openings on the transmissions themselves... so if you get into water deep enough to cover the transmissions, and with the 30RH or 32RH even lower than that, water can make its way into the transmission via their vent tubes.

It wasn't until later when he NV3550, NGS370, and 42RLE transmissions started being used when they added remote-opening rubber vent hoses for them that keep the water out.

I have a 98 auto assuming the 32rh is there any way to mount a vent hose to it so I don't have to worry about it sucking water

Jerry Bransford 07-10-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 tj sport (Post 2567429)
I have a 98 auto assuming the 32rh is there any way to mount a vent hose to it so I don't have to worry about it sucking water

The vent for the 30RH and 32RH is in front of the transmission, just above the input shaft behind the torque converter. The only way to do what you want to do is have someone who knows how to weld aluminum weld the vent hole closed. Then you have to drill and tap a hole on top of the transmission and screw a barbed fitting into it so a rubber vent hose can be attached. Not real difficult but not easy either.

98 tj sport 07-10-2012 06:27 PM

Dangit ok, o do u think I could use something like jb weld to seal the hole and just drill and tap that cuz id know how to weld, I'm trying to learn but its kinda a slow process messing around with a welder with no one to really show you lol so I def don't wanna go welding on my transmission

Jerry Bransford 07-10-2012 06:33 PM

What if the JB Weld doesn't stay in place and bits and pieces fall inside the transmission? I like and use JB Weld but that's not where I would use it.

98 tj sport 07-10-2012 06:37 PM

Yea I didn't think about that but that's what wf is for so when I have brainfarts someone is there to correct me thanks jerry guess ill just have to try and find someone to weld it so I can tap it and get me a vent hose on there before I mess something up

john sherry 07-10-2012 06:37 PM

I have a 97TJ,have forded creeks up to headlight level,yes my breathers are extended,only limiting factor was factory airbox,watermark was at the bottom of the trumpet.

Leeroy Jeepkins 07-10-2012 08:50 PM

Surprised Chadwick hasnt been brought up yet

98 tj sport 07-10-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeroy Jeepkins
Surprised Chadwick hasnt been brought up yet

I tried to read that post the other day someone posted a link to it in one I was reading and it wouldn't let me read it and no I can't find the link to it, anyone know y I can't read it

jeepers29 07-10-2012 09:20 PM

I read that someone thought that the Chadwick thread had been killed. Don't know for sure, but sure was some funny reading.

Jerry Bransford 07-10-2012 09:22 PM

Chadwick's useless and misleading thread deserved to be deleted, I hate to even see it referred to.

98 tj sport 07-10-2012 09:38 PM

O it just said that I didn't have permission to read it or something

Leeroy Jeepkins 07-11-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Chadwick's useless and misleading thread deserved to be deleted, I hate to even see it referred to.

Why was it misleading? Was it fake?

Yoshiltz 07-11-2012 06:21 AM

The vent to the 32rh can be done without welding. Its actually a bad idea to weld to the pump cover anyways because it can warp easily. I threaded mine and installed a plug then drilled and taped a hole in the top of the case for a barb fitting which I attached my vent to and ran it up the dip stick. Not all that hard but definitely time consuming. I'd rather be pulling the trans for that than for a rebuild though.

98 tj sport 07-11-2012 07:30 AM

Can it be done with the trans still under the jeep or would I have to pull it

lynn 07-11-2012 08:52 AM

A buddy of mine got too deep...

http://multiply.com/mu/lynn225/image...nmid=202169293

:D

Vroooom 07-11-2012 08:58 AM

Twss

lindel 07-11-2012 09:21 AM

Some descriptions and examples of military fording equipment.

Evolution Of Deep Water Fording and the Jeep

Vehicle aside, if you're snorting fish...You're too deep!

Yoshiltz 07-11-2012 10:25 AM

I suppose it would be "possible" to do it in the vehicle but you have to seperate it from the engine so you can get to the cover. Might as well pull it and make it easy on yourself.

Jerry Bransford 07-11-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 tj sport (Post 2569416)
Can it be done with the trans still under the jeep or would I have to pull it

You'd definitely have to pull the transmission for this job.

cmecha 07-16-2012 09:42 AM

where would the breather be located on a NGS370