Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Backup Hitch Camera Install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/backup-hitch-camera-install-173075.html)

ndrugby 07-12-2012 12:17 AM

Backup Hitch Camera Install

5 Attachment(s)
I decided to install a backup camera for my Jeep. Didn't want to worry about kids and items behind me. I wanted to mount it in my hitch so it needed to be removable. The camera I bought has a disconnect from a module so you can remove just the camera for when the hitch needs to be used. Of course, I can't use it to back up to a trailer, but, I don't do that often/

The materials: Rocky Mountain CCD camera (ebay), RCA Cable, hookup wire and crimps (?), Lockpick (previously installed), Mopar Jeep Hitch Cover.

Attachment 140192

I used a 3/4" hole saw to make a hole in the hitch cover and used a dremel to sand down the two e's in Jeep so the camera would sit flush.
Attachment 140189

Inserted the camera
Attachment 140190

Wired it through the hitch and up through the drain plug under the jack
Attachment 140191

Attachment 140193

ndrugby 07-12-2012 12:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
This is the module taped against the sidewall of the jack area.

Attachment 140195

Then I ran the wires under the storage area and over to the right, up the side and to the front along the same wires as the taillights. Had to pull out carpet and loosen some molding to make it work. Into the area behind the glove box to my lockpick.

Attachment 140196

The installed hitch camera

Attachment 140197

A shot of it working in my garage in fairly low light

Attachment 140198

A shot of it outside my garage in the dark. Works well in low light. You just get B&W in the dark instead of color.

Attachment 140199

LBrito 07-12-2012 04:08 PM

:thumb:

ebuglet 07-13-2012 09:42 AM

Do you have any more info on that camera? A quick google search didn't give anything useful.

I assume you had to run the RCA cable from the rear to the dash? How long of a cable did you use?

ndrugby 07-13-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebuglet
Do you have any more info on that camera? A quick google search didn't give anything useful.

I assume you had to run the RCA cable from the rear to the dash? How long of a cable did you use?

This one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260508675957...t_14251wt_1157

I used 12 ft but it was close. 15ft would be a better option.

ebuglet 07-14-2012 09:15 PM

One other question... where'd you tap into the 12v power that it looks like it needs?

ndrugby 07-14-2012 10:10 PM

The power on the lockpick. I ran the power all the way to my glove box. I used 20 guage hookup wire.

tomthbomb 07-15-2012 03:19 PM

Great "how to"! Can you do one for your Lock Pick installation? Then I am going to jump on it. One question. I am still under warranty. Will Lock Pick void it?

ndrugby 07-15-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb
Great "how to"! Can you do one for your Lock Pick installation? Then I am going to jump on it. One question. I am still under warranty. Will Lock Pick void it?

Sure. It's not hard to do once you pull off the dash. That part's not too difficult either. Maybe later this week.

Doubt it voids any warranties.

ndrugby 07-16-2012 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 2585962)

Here goes my best attempt at it. I di the lockpick a while ago. I don't have power windows, so I can't speak to what you need to do there but the radio install instructions from Mopar will help you remove the dash.

Remove the storage bin (where power windows are for those with them). I just pulled and it came out.

Remove the 2 center air vents - There is a tab inside of them that you can access. I pressed the tab toward the middle of the vent with a small flat head screw driver and then rotated the vent. Then just pull the vents out.

Remove the steering column cover. I just pulled it off. It has retaining tabs.

Remove the storage bin mat (in top of dash) and then remove the screw.

Remove the screw from where the storage panel (power window area) was.

Remove the two screws on either side of the steering column.

Reach through the vent openings and carefully pull outwards to release the retaining tabs.

The rest of the dash is also secured by retaining tabs, pry them off slowly as well.

Unscrew the radio and pull it out slowly, you don't want to pull any cables off.

From there follow the instructions from coastaletech: disconnect the electrical connectors from the radio and plug into the lockpick harness and then plug the lockpick connectors where the original ones were on the back of the radio.

plug the lockpick harness into the lockpick. I stuffed the lockpick behind my glovebox in the back left. It sits nicely.

Reinstall the radio and the dash.

Pretty simple.

More comprehensive radio/dash removal instruction: Attachment 141558

Lockpick Install Instructions:
Attachment 141559

tomthbomb 07-16-2012 06:42 PM

Thanks! Do you recommend disconnecting the battery?

ndrugby 07-16-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 2590509)
Thanks! Do you recommend disconnecting the battery?

Yes. But I didn't do it. Not sure why, I guess I was lazy. It's a good idea to do that. I had no problems even though I didn't disconnect it.

AgBullet 07-19-2012 11:34 AM

I guess I'm not seeing from the pictures, but where would you disconnect if you had to use the hitch?

ndrugby 07-19-2012 12:43 PM

It pulls out in the bottom part of the module pictured in the first picture in my second post.

ndrugby 07-19-2012 12:51 PM

This should. Although the camera cable is much longer that pictured in this stock photo.

http://www.rockyamericas.com/usa/pic/cw637connector.JPG

http://www.rockyamericas.com/usa/pic...hConnector.JPG