Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Advice on Spider Web Shades (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/advice-on-spider-web-shades-173375.html)

Johnrmclean 07-13-2012 11:14 AM

Advice on Spider Web Shades
 
I'm looking to do a web shade for my TJ however I'm not sure which to buy..

The TJkini just covers the cab while the larger web shade covers both the front and back seats. Also there are two material available the Trailmesh and Ultra mesh. I'm looking for feed back from people who already have them especially the differences if you known them.

Thanks..looks like a great weekend for wheeling!

lwszabo 07-13-2012 11:21 AM

Ultra is a 1 year warranty and trail is 5 year, for the little. It of extra money get the trail. As far as the size to et you can fold the. Offer one over to just cover the front an also use it to cover the rear so I would go with the full size!

McDaniel 07-13-2012 11:33 AM

Iwszabo - are you driving and posting?

Tonycrd 07-13-2012 11:56 AM

I have the TJkini and the trailmesh is excellent. But, if I had to do it again, for the $30 difference I'd get the SW1 in trailmesh.

Or JK-kini to the rear LOL. :D

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7175/10038429.jpg

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3161/tj3h.jpg

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9421/tj4i.jpg

lwszabo 07-13-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDaniel
Iwszabo - are you driving and posting?

No I have a iPhone and texting sucks compared to a droid!

Will335i 07-13-2012 12:00 PM

^ I was thinking the same thing.

I just ordered the SW1 (covers the front and rear) in the Trailmesh. After looking at their website the Trailmesh seemed right for me since I will be spending time off road and don't want to worry about every little tree branch trying to rip it.

lwszabo 07-13-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDaniel
Iwszabo - are you driving and posting?

Just curious do you have an opinion for the OP or are you just making sure I am following the law?

McDaniel 07-13-2012 12:10 PM

Actauly I have a question, do you need to use the door surrounds as shown in Tonycrd's pictures?

I was just having lunch here at my desk and thought i would give you a hard time about the post. It's all good :thumb:

lwszabo 07-13-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDaniel
Actauly I have a question, do you need to use the door surrounds as shown in Tonycrd's pictures?

I was just having lunch here at my desk and thought i would give you a hard time about the post. It's all good :thumb:

The door surrounds are not needed but I have read some people use them for a tighter fit. I think it looks cleaner without them! If anyone near Charlotte is looking for a SW1 in Trail mesh I have a brand new one for sale...got 2 for my birthday!

OrangeCrush 07-13-2012 12:28 PM

How is the rear coverage with passengers in the back? It looks like head room is compromised. Anyone have pics with the shade and the cargo net?

lwszabo 07-13-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
How is the rear coverage with passengers in the back? It looks like head room is compromised. Anyone have pics with the shade and the cargo net?

Rear seat headroom is a little less but that part is way back so this isn't really a issue. This is probably the best accessory for a Wrangler and is priced very good for the quality of the part.

tbensor 07-13-2012 02:05 PM

^This^ I have the Trailmesh. My daughter is 5 7 so I had to rig it a little so her head would clear in the back seat. Front is fine. I love being able to leave it on and pull the top up. I don't even have to disconnect the bungies in the corner. I just push it back a little.

Serge A. Storms 07-13-2012 02:07 PM

My trailmesh is going on tonight, I will post pics if anybody wants to see more or something specific.

Sccrbrg 07-13-2012 04:23 PM

Sounds like im the only one who got the ultra mesh lol. But then again I dont really go anywhere that I need to worry about damaging the shade.

I like the slightly more fitted look that you get with the ultra mesh and I think it lets a little more light in than the trail mesh.

I went with the SW1, I wouldnt want any more or less coverage than that.

wmdavis007 07-13-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwszabo
If anyone near Charlotte is looking for a SW1 in Trail mesh I have a brand new one for sale...got 2 for my birthday!

I live In NC and I'm interested in the SW1. How much are you asking for it. I'm bout an hour and a half from Charlotte so I would prefer shipping, my zip is 28379.

lwszabo 07-13-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdavis007

I live In NC and I'm interested in the SW1. How much are you asking for it. I'm bout an hour and a half from Charlotte so I would prefer shipping, my zip is 28379.

I am selling for $65.00.

Johnboy11 07-13-2012 05:09 PM

I have the trail mesh and have went thru quite a few branches and mud, no problems at all, I got the one that covers the back also and I loop mine thru the seatbelt holder in back, but you can put it any place you want really, Trail mesh all the way!

4X4EVER 07-13-2012 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed the TJkini on my 2000 wrangler on thursday. I really love it! I thought sure it would flap and be noisy, but its not! I really like that it doesnt have to be removed in order to put on the soft top.

Question to everyone tho: how come mine has a rectangular cut out at the back, compared to tonycrd who says his is also a TJkini? His is a full rectangle over the front seats and mine doesnt reach the roll bars all the way around. Did I order the wrong one? I see his goes over the back seat, too, but Im comparing the front piece.

Attachment 140774

4X4EVER 07-14-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4X4EVER
I just installed the TJkini on my 2000 wrangler on thursday. I really love it! I thought sure it would flap and be noisy, but its not! I really like that it doesnt have to be removed in order to put on the soft top.

Question to everyone tho: how come mine has a rectangular cut out at the back, compared to tonycrd who says his is also a TJkini? His is a full rectangle over the front seats and mine doesnt reach the roll bars all the way around. Did I order the wrong one? I see his goes over the back seat, too, but Im comparing the front piece.

Well, we figured out the prob. The sent me a jk kini instead of a tj kini, even tho our receipt said tj kini!

MillerFam 07-14-2012 11:36 PM

I bought the full TJ shadecage in trail mesh. I got the full cage because I want to keep the sun off my little boys in the back seat and I want to keep their toys inside the Jeep when we roll topless. The extra warranty on the trail mesh made it worth the few extra bucks.

Serge A. Storms 07-15-2012 12:32 AM

Super easy install, I love it.

jgorm 07-15-2012 09:36 AM

I have the trailmesh on my LJ. Its awesome! It keeps the sun and wind and a decent level.

2003x 07-15-2012 10:08 AM

I am glad this was posted! I am looking at the SW1 Ultra Mesh. its $69.99.
The SW1 TJ UltraMesh [SW1 UM] - $69.99 : The JeepHut - Your 4wd Experts, Jeep Parts, Accessories, and Gifts

My questions are, is any one running this one? And does it take away from that "open feel". Is it worth the money to keep the sun off you? Or is it the same as throwing the top up and leaving the windows out?

2003x 07-15-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccrbrg (Post 2579725)
Sounds like im the only one who got the ultra mesh lol. But then again I dont really go anywhere that I need to worry about damaging the shade.

I like the slightly more fitted look that you get with the ultra mesh and I think it lets a little more light in than the trail mesh.

I went with the SW1, I wouldnt want any more or less coverage than that.

I am looking at this one as well. I don't need the stronger material, just something to keep the beating sun off me. How does it feel, do you like it?

03Ruth 07-15-2012 10:20 AM

Cant speak for the ultramesh but I have the trail mesh and it is well worth it to keep the sun from beating down on you. I love mine and it dosent completely lose that open air feeling because it is see through

2003x 07-15-2012 10:30 AM

Thank you. I am planning on ordering one tonight, so any advice is appreciated.

DaK 07-15-2012 11:18 AM

If I had it to do over again, it would be the one that covers the front and back seats. Even though we don't have our backseat installed anymore the extra shade would be nice for the back of the neck.

uniballer 07-15-2012 12:05 PM

I have the TJ SW1 in trail mesh, and I saved a couple bucks by buying it from Krawl Offroad. I love it. I like to run as bare as possible in the summer. No top or top hardware, no doors. But yesterday, when rain threatened, I put the door surrounds, doors, and soft top back on and didn't have to touch the web shade at all. The whole process took 15 minutes and I was rain ready. Today I ripped it all back down again.

The spiderwebshade doesn't feel like a top at all, but it does provide cooler cabin temps while in the open, and is quieter than either open air or the regular factory soft top without windows or doors. The back of the sw1 will flap a little in the wind, but it doesn't register.

Overall, it's win win, and I would recommend it to everyone that likes open top. I've yet to do serious trail work with it yet. But I'm not afraid too, feels pretty durable and the holes are small and the weave tight, I bet it would be difficult to snag.

woggie 07-15-2012 06:43 PM

I have one on my TJ and the wife's JK and love them. We have the trailmesh that covers front and back (SW1 for TJ not sure if same for JK). It will be the best money you spend, makes a huge difference here in N. Texas.

Sccrbrg 07-15-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003x

I am looking at this one as well. I don't need the stronger material, just something to keep the beating sun off me. How does it feel, do you like it?

IMO its a must for anyone who drives topless for any amount of time. Keeps the open feel pretty well, very slightly cuts down on the wind but you can still definitely tell that youre rolling without the top on.

The SW1 was the perfect size for me, covers the front and the back without obstructing any line of sight.

The ultramesh stretched to a near perfect fit. I cant attest to the trailmesh as i dont have it, but I have seen a few pictures and I lersonally think that the ultramesh fits better - but it doesnt come with a five year warranty either.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.