Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Advice on Spider Web Shades

12K views 66 replies 35 participants last post by  Larry D1000 
#1 ·
I'm looking to do a web shade for my TJ however I'm not sure which to buy..

The TJkini just covers the cab while the larger web shade covers both the front and back seats. Also there are two material available the Trailmesh and Ultra mesh. I'm looking for feed back from people who already have them especially the differences if you known them.

Thanks..looks like a great weekend for wheeling!

#28 ·
I have the TJ SW1 in trail mesh, and I saved a couple bucks by buying it from Krawl Offroad. I love it. I like to run as bare as possible in the summer. No top or top hardware, no doors. But yesterday, when rain threatened, I put the door surrounds, doors, and soft top back on and didn't have to touch the web shade at all. The whole process took 15 minutes and I was rain ready. Today I ripped it all back down again.

The spiderwebshade doesn't feel like a top at all, but it does provide cooler cabin temps while in the open, and is quieter than either open air or the regular factory soft top without windows or doors. The back of the sw1 will flap a little in the wind, but it doesn't register.

Overall, it's win win, and I would recommend it to everyone that likes open top. I've yet to do serious trail work with it yet. But I'm not afraid too, feels pretty durable and the holes are small and the weave tight, I bet it would be difficult to snag.

#30 ·
2003x said:
I am looking at this one as well. I don't need the stronger material, just something to keep the beating sun off me. How does it feel, do you like it?
IMO its a must for anyone who drives topless for any amount of time. Keeps the open feel pretty well, very slightly cuts down on the wind but you can still definitely tell that youre rolling without the top on.

The SW1 was the perfect size for me, covers the front and the back without obstructing any line of sight.

The ultramesh stretched to a near perfect fit. I cant attest to the trailmesh as i dont have it, but I have seen a few pictures and I lersonally think that the ultramesh fits better - but it doesnt come with a five year warranty either.

#33 ·
Size question

So after failing to find a local source in MI for shade cloth (Lowes and HD don't carry it in northern states.. I have found an on line source that will make any size for me ...90 % ultra mesh type shade material with sewn hems and grommets ever 1 ' for under $20 for the TJkini and $30 for the SW1 plus $10 shipping. I'm going with the SW1 but not exactly sure how wide and long to order. I'm leaning to 45" x 58" but not sure how much stretch there is in the material. Can anyone tell me exactly how wide and long their SW1 is? Once I get it I will report back on the quality and source.

#40 ·
I bought the SW1 Tj ultramesh and could not be happier. Pricing is great, company is a pleasure to deal with and had quick shipping. Its really high quality, easy to install and a lifesaver on hot days with no top/doors for pale folks like myself (saved myself alot of pain in sunburns). highly recommended.

#43 ·
Got my no name web shade yesterday and mounted it today. NOT BAD! :thumbsup:
90% shade - 44" x 58" .... $23.25 plus $10 shipping!
(44 x 16 would only have cost me $16.95)
Check them out.........

Attachments

#45 ·
#46 ·
I bought the SW1for my TJ and I am very happy. Driving home from Atlanta it was 94 degrees and the shade was a big improvement over topless. It still let you feel the open air and it cuts down on wind slightly. I really like that I can put the top up without removing the shade. I would definitely recommend it. I now run with the top down more than I used to in the hot FL sun.

#48 ·
I bought the bungee ball cords from Wall-mart in the hunting camping section ..not sure the size but if they are too long you you can also shorten them. They were cheap and one pack is enough.

#53 ·
I know it's an old thread here, but this is what came up in my research. I am looking at this or the bestop safari bikini. I've yet to see anyone say they'd pick the bestop over this. I think I'll pull the trigger on this in the next few days. I sure wish I had a photo of a red top on a white tj. Likely safe is black.

#60 ·
Are you guys ordering direct from their website or going off a dealers? Yesterday I purchased the SW1-TJ shade cage direct. I googled discount codes and got that package cheaper than anywhere else that I found it. Looking forward to getting it, now I just need this rain to stop so I can take the hard top off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.