Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Connecticut Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/)
-   -   Possible new member in CT (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/possible-new-member-in-ct-173390.html)

markmdz 07-13-2012 12:59 PM

Possible new member in CT

new here. just joined up despite not having a jeep yet.

I joined because I'm looking to replace my current daily driver, and am considering a TJ Wrangler. I'd like to stick with 00-06~ish, due to price, and talking to friends/family about the reliability concerns with the newer V6.

Anyway, given that this is a CT thread I figured I'd post up here looking for some feedback.

Is a Wrangler a decent daily driver?
How much of a pain do you find it being to deal with swapping, installing, removing, etc the tops?
If you're running topless, do you just leave it like that overnight and just hope you don't get rained on, or do you close it up every night?
How horrible is the gas mileage?
How reliable are these beasts?

When I get a daily driver, I commit to it and keep it for at least 7+ years, and over that course of time, I'll easily put 120k+ on it. I'm looking at mostly '01-04 TJ's within the neighborhood of 100k on the clock already.

The I 4.0L is my first choice, and stick is absolutely mandatory.

I intend to stay away from heavily modifying it, but almost immediately I plan to do a susp.lift, a set of 33's, and a snorkel (no real need for me to have the snorkel, but it looks so damn cool).

Please consider this would be a daily driver, as my other vehicle is either my bike or '00 dakota.

Sorry for the long post, but any/all feedback is greatly appreciated.

THW 07-13-2012 02:19 PM

Hey man, welcome to the forum. I can't comment on the TJ, but I recommend that you re-post your post in the TJ forum (TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum) where you'll see a lot more action. This Connecticut section is basically dead, but tons of people read the main forums. Good luck!

the caveman 07-13-2012 09:42 PM

Welcome! Like THW said, you'd probably get more responses in the TJ or general forum.

I'll put my 2 cents in though :wavey:

Is a Wrangler a decent daily driver? Yes, not smooth, not quiet, but certainly fun, it will get you from A to B
How much of a pain do you find it being to deal with swapping, installing, removing, etc the tops? Well worth the effort- 2 minutes off, 4-5 minutes to put the top and windows on (soft top)
If you're running topless, do you just leave it like that overnight and just hope you don't get rained on, or do you close it up every night? Just put the top up, don't bother with the windows unless its going to rain.
How horrible is the gas mileage? very horrible
How reliable are these beasts? I'd say they're about average for reliability.

kjeeper10 07-13-2012 09:48 PM

Do it :thumb:

the caveman 07-14-2012 07:04 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to include that in my response. Do it!

wedu22 07-14-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmdz (Post 2579060)
new here. just joined up despite not having a jeep yet.

I joined because I'm looking to replace my current daily driver, and am considering a TJ Wrangler. I'd like to stick with 00-06~ish, due to price, and talking to friends/family about the reliability concerns with the newer V6.

Anyway, given that this is a CT thread I figured I'd post up here looking for some feedback.

Is a Wrangler a decent daily driver? YES, MOST FUN I'VE HAD IN YEARS ON FOUR WHEELS:D
How much of a pain do you find it being to deal with swapping, installing, removing, etc the tops? NOT AT ALL, IT IS ACTUALLY VERY EASY & QUICK.:thumb:
If you're running topless, do you just leave it like that overnight and just hope you don't get rained on, or do you close it up every night?, DO LIKE CAVEMAN SAID;)
How horrible is the gas mileage? I AVERAGE 17MPG :eek: DRIVING APPX 55MPH (THIS IS THE ONLY DOWN SIDE CONSIDERING I WAS GETTING ALMOST 30MGP IN MY MAZDA BUT THE "FUN" FACTOR WELL OUT WAYS THE MPG IMO:punk:)
How reliable are these beasts? MY 04 HAS BEEN AWESOME. I DON'T BABY IT, BUT I DON'T BEAT H#!! OUT OF IT EITHER. JUST GENERAL WEAR IN TEAR (BRAKES/ROTORS & STUFF LIKE THAT):whistling:

When I get a daily driver, I commit to it and keep it for at least 7+ years, and over that course of time, I'll easily put 120k+ on it. I'm looking at mostly '01-04 TJ's within the neighborhood of 100k on the clock already.

The I 4.0L is my first choice, and stick is absolutely mandatory.

I intend to stay away from heavily modifying it, but almost immediately I plan to do a susp.lift, a set of 33's, and a snorkel (no real need for me to have the snorkel, but it looks so damn cool).

Please consider this would be a daily driver, as my other vehicle is either my bike or '00 dakota.

Sorry for the long post, but any/all feedback is greatly appreciated.

I PUT MY RESPONSE (OBVIOUSLY) IN YOUR POST AND LIKE BROTHER KEN SAID "DO IT". :dance:
P.S. I DON'T AGREE W/THW...

markmdz 07-30-2012 12:33 PM

hey guys, thanks for your responses. I figured I'd get less action here than in the general sections, but I was interested in hearing from members locally, as our driving conditions vary year round, and we also have to contend with premature failure of parts and anything metal due to the wonderful 'salt' they so generously dump all over the roads.

Anyway, I'm thinking for cost, TJ is my best (read: only) reasonably financially responsible bet.

wedu22 --> I guess I'd put myself in the same boat as you with how I treat my vehicles. Oddly enough, my current (and has been for nearly 7 years) DD is an '02 Protege. I'm at ~170k on her, and still on the original clutch. ...but I do love to blast it through the twisties.

I'm a driver, a car enthusiast, and a general all-around thrill seeker. I love to test the handling limits of my cars. Having said that, I know full-well, I'm not getting into a Wrangler for it's on-road "high G" handling capabilities, but I'm confident I'll find a different kind of driving 'fun' with one of these rigs.

wedu --> I just caught your signature. 65k and D44's on your rig? ...might I ask how long you've had it? Damn, that's exactly what I'd love to find myself driving, but the uber low mileage ones like that are very expensive to get into.

wedu22 07-30-2012 12:59 PM

Bought it 09/11. I am the 3rd owner; 1st owner had for 6 yrs; 2nd owner for 4 months.
- Spent several month looking & talking but finally caught the stealership @ the right time.:thumb:

Did you see this post by chance? http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/sel...tj-175281.html

Not sure if it is what your looking for but....