Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   DT and keyed lug nuts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/dt-and-keyed-lug-nuts-173822.html)

elToro 07-15-2012 04:10 PM

DT and keyed lug nuts

I just got new wheels and tires from Discount Tire. Just realized today they put keyed lug nuts on! Not one per wheel, but all of them! Now what do I do if I get a flat? Of course they did not give me a key, nor even tell me they put these on. Kinda po'd right now. Good thing I discovered this in my driveway!

Lowerumble 07-15-2012 04:17 PM

They might not be locking lugs, just ones with narrower diameter so that your wheels don't get messed up. So the lug just takes the particular matched socket that fits the grooves. I may be wrong, and someone else that knows the lingo can probally fill you in more.

elToro 07-15-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowerumble (Post 2586185)
They might not be locking lugs, just ones with narrower diameter so that your wheels don't get messed up. So the lug just takes the particular matched socket that fits the grooves. I may be wrong, and someone else that knows the lingo can probally fill you in more.

That sounds exactly right. All the grooves around the lug are equidistant apart and there are no hex sides. Still, call it a lock or something else, I need a key or adapter. Where do I get one?

If I were in the boonies with a flat and a tire iron, I'd be royally screwed!

Lowerumble 07-15-2012 04:27 PM

Call Discount, tell them you didn't get the spline drive. If they are close, go get one, if not make them mail it to you.

kjeeper10 07-15-2012 04:33 PM

I broke mine and found a set at autozone with the same splined socket.

Are you sure they did not hide it it the door or glovebox.
They tossed mine in the door after doing the tires. It was the second place I looked and it was there.

elToro 07-15-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2586252)
I broke mine and found a set at autozone with the same splined socket.

Are you sure they did not hide it it the door or glovebox.
They tossed mine in the door after doing the tires. It was the second place I looked and it was there.

Looked all over, no dice. Guess I gotta make a trip back.

kjeeper10 07-15-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elToro

Looked all over, no dice. Guess I gotta make a trip back.

Check autozone if you are in a pinch.

NFRs2000NYC 07-15-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elToro (Post 2586157)
I just got new wheels and tires from Discount Tire. Just realized today they put keyed lug nuts on! Not one per wheel, but all of them! Now what do I do if I get a flat? Of course they did not give me a key, nor even tell me they put these on. Kinda po'd right now. Good thing I discovered this in my driveway!

Call them. They are awesome. They gave me a key, but knowing me, I might lose mine, so I asked them for an extra one and they sent it out the next day at no charge. Discount Tire is a great company to do business with.