Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Adding speakers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/adding-speakers-174205.html)

Juhcohbee 07-16-2012 09:32 PM

Adding speakers

Kay so I have an aftermarket stereo with an amp sub and I only have the speakers in the dash I had overhead speakers but they were all blown so I took it out and I bought 2 new speakers and I was going to make some boxes and throw them in the back of my jeep, I'm very new to stereos and stuff like that so if you guys can throw me any tips or any guides on how to add 2 new speakers to a existing setup, any help is very appreciated!!! Thanks everyone.

Juhcohbee 07-16-2012 11:07 PM

Anyone know anything??

LouieDelTorchio 07-16-2012 11:22 PM

For the overhead speakers, the factory is 5.25" but you can fit 6.5" with drilling. Its really quite easy.

I have Polk Db521s in there and they sound really good without an amp, just the head unit. They are also marine rated. Its pretty much just a plug and play.

LouieDelTorchio 07-16-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio
For the overhead speakers, the factory is 5.25" but you can fit 6.5" with drilling. Its really quite easy.

I have Polk Db521s in there and they sound really good without an amp, just the head unit. They are also marine rated. Its pretty much just a plug and play.

I totally misread your question. You want to put speakers i n boxes in the back? Where abouts?

Juhcohbee 07-17-2012 01:02 AM

All I want to do is add.two speakers to the back side of my jeep to make four speakers all together. I am not using the over head box anymore ill be building new boxes or using ammo cans or something. I just need to know hours to add two speaker wires. Thanks!

1SAS 07-17-2012 06:50 AM

I guess I am missing something too... you posted that you had "over head speakers but they were blown" so you bought two more. Why didn't you choose to replace them in the same over head position? Speaker boxes take up room and you don't have much storage room on a jeep. I don't know how you use it, but "direct replacement" seems your best choice unless you have some other reason for not doing that...

Take care,

Juhcohbee 07-17-2012 09:27 AM

No no the speakers were blown and I wasn't getting any power to the over head.. Idk and it looks really crappy i didnt know why it wasnt getting power.. I think it got water in it.

Jma20a 07-17-2012 12:12 PM

you can run your own speaker wires to the sound bar to power the speakers.

Juhcohbee 07-17-2012 12:15 PM

How would I run those wires?

Jma20a 07-17-2012 02:10 PM

Run the speaker wires behind the glovebox and down the passenger side and up through the rollbar padding. Than drill a little hole and feed the wires into the soundbar.

Juhcohbee 07-17-2012 02:12 PM

I don't know how to add wires to my existing stereo that's my whole problem I have no problem with how to place wires.. Lol :)

Jma20a 07-17-2012 03:13 PM

In your original post you said you had an aftermarket stereo

Juhcohbee 07-17-2012 03:21 PM

I do, but it didn't have wires poken out all over were do you plug them in??

Juhcohbee 07-18-2012 06:36 PM

Anyone? Sorry this is a really nooby question..

Jma20a 07-18-2012 06:49 PM

are the wires on the back of the head unit color coded? the wire harness coming from the head unit should have all the wires different colors, and so should the harness from the factory plug, all of the colors should be matched up. check your owners manual for the head unit and find what the correct colors are for the rear speakers and cut them and run new wires to the speakers.

Juhcohbee 07-18-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a
are the wires on the back of the head unit color coded? the wire harness coming from the head unit should have all the wires different colors, and so should the harness from the factory plug, all of the colors should be matched up. check your owners manual for the head unit and find what the correct colors are for the rear speakers and cut them and run new wires to the speakers.

Oh okay so you don't run them from the amp? Cause in the back there's two different wires labeled output and rear..

Jma20a 07-18-2012 08:31 PM

You didnt say anything about an amp. Is it a 2, 4, or 5 channel amp?

Juhcohbee 07-18-2012 08:44 PM

I said I had an amp in the first line. Lol :) I wanna say 4

Jma20a 07-19-2012 11:27 AM

is it a matter of the amp not powering on or is it not giving a signal to the speakers?

Juhcohbee 07-19-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a
is it a matter of the amp not powering on or is it not giving a signal to the speakers?

I wasn't getting any power.

Jma20a 07-19-2012 01:25 PM

Check your fuses on both the amp and power wire. Make sure the remote turn on wire is not loose. Check the ground also. If you have a digital multi-meter use it to test the power wire and see if there is any current.

eboven 07-19-2012 02:46 PM

Let me make sure I have this all straight. You have an aftermarket radio installed, along with speakers in the dash, and some speakers in the soundbar that do not work. You also have an aftermarket sub and amp, which is working. Is that correct?

Unless the amp you have is a 4 or 5 channel amp, it is likely only powering your subwoofer; the dash and soundbar speakers are being powered by the aftermarket radio's internal amp. In order to determine why your rear speakers are not working, you will need to remove the radio and start there. Once removed, you should look for RCA cables plugged into red and white RCA connectors on the radio. If your amp is only powering your sub, you will see only one set (red and white) of RCA cables there. If this is the case, the amp is not your problem, as the speakers are wired into the radio's amp.

Next, look at the wire harness coming off your radio. There should be lots of wires in this harness, you will be looking for 4 in particular. The rear speaker wire colors are purple and purple with a black stripe, along with green and green with a black stripe. Make sure there are wires connected to these, and that there is no exposed bare wire that could touch metal anywhere. Ensure the connections are tight, and that there are no breaks or loose connections with these wires.

If you have a multi-meter or an ohm meter, you can perform a simple test to ensure those speaker leads don't have a break in them between the radio and the speaker itself. Connect the speakers back into the soundbar, two wires for each speaker. Go back to the radio harness, and cut the purple & purple/black and green & green/black wires at the connection into the vehicle harness. Then, take the vehicle harness's side of those wires and test for resistance- there should be somewhere between 3 and 10 ohms of resistance when metering the speaker wires. If you get "OL" displayed on the meter, than you have bad wiring somewhere between the radio and the speakers. If you get a resistance reading within the range (3-10 ohms) you probably just have blown speakers.

My guess is that the soundbar speakers are not connected properly, or that the speakers are blown. If you do have bad wiring, just run new speaker wires from the purples and greens on your radio to the soundbar, and connect the speakers to that new wiring. Purple is the right lead, while green is the left.

Happy troubleshooting!

Juhcohbee 07-20-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eboven
Let me make sure I have this all straight. You have an aftermarket radio installed, along with speakers in the dash, and some speakers in the soundbar that do not work. You also have an aftermarket sub and amp, which is working. Is that correct?

Unless the amp you have is a 4 or 5 channel amp, it is likely only powering your subwoofer; the dash and soundbar speakers are being powered by the aftermarket radio's internal amp. In order to determine why your rear speakers are not working, you will need to remove the radio and start there. Once removed, you should look for RCA cables plugged into red and white RCA connectors on the radio. If your amp is only powering your sub, you will see only one set (red and white) of RCA cables there. If this is the case, the amp is not your problem, as the speakers are wired into the radio's amp.

Next, look at the wire harness coming off your radio. There should be lots of wires in this harness, you will be looking for 4 in particular. The rear speaker wire colors are purple and purple with a black stripe, along with green and green with a black stripe. Make sure there are wires connected to these, and that there is no exposed bare wire that could touch metal anywhere. Ensure the connections are tight, and that there are no breaks or loose connections with these wires.

If you have a multi-meter or an ohm meter, you can perform a simple test to ensure those speaker leads don't have a break in them between the radio and the speaker itself. Connect the speakers back into the soundbar, two wires for each speaker. Go back to the radio harness, and cut the purple & purple/black and green & green/black wires at the connection into the vehicle harness. Then, take the vehicle harness's side of those wires and test for resistance- there should be somewhere between 3 and 10 ohms of resistance when metering the speaker wires. If you get "OL" displayed on the meter, than you have bad wiring somewhere between the radio and the speakers. If you get a resistance reading within the range (3-10 ohms) you probably just have blown speakers.

My guess is that the soundbar speakers are not connected properly, or that the speakers are blown. If you do have bad wiring, just run new speaker wires from the purples and greens on your radio to the soundbar, and connect the speakers to that new wiring. Purple is the right lead, while green is the left.

Happy troubleshooting!

Thanks brother your a lifesaver!!

1SAS 07-21-2012 01:55 PM

eboven,

Awesome post!!

Take care,