Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Cheapest way to lift my Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/cheapest-way-to-lift-my-jeep-174284.html)

Haines15 07-17-2012 08:33 AM

Cheapest way to lift my Jeep
 
I have a 97 TJ and right now I have a 2in coil spacer lift. I wanna go to 4" and I was wondering if there was a cheaper way to do it because I already have spacers. I know some kits come with them so I was wondering if it would be easier to buy shocks, coils, and a differential drop kit, or there's a cheaper way to do it or what. Also I was planning on keeping 31's on it with the 4" lift and I was wondering if anyone had opinions/pictures of that. I don't have a lot of money to throw around so the cheaper the better as long as its still worth the money. Thanks.

DrLecter90210 07-17-2012 08:35 AM

31s with a 4 inch lift might look like the tires are too small. That's not a look that I like. Might want to start with bigger tires and then upgrade lift later.

UnlimitedLJ04 07-17-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haines15 (Post 2592449)
I have a 97 TJ and right now I have a 2in coil spacer lift. I wanna go to 4" and I was wondering if there was a cheaper way to do it because I already have spacers. I know some kits come with them so I was wondering if it would be easier to buy shocks, coils, and a differential drop kit, or there's a cheaper way to do it or what. Also I was planning on keeping 31's on it with the 4" lift and I was wondering if anyone had opinions/pictures of that. I don't have a lot of money to throw around so the cheaper the better as long as its still worth the money. Thanks.

You're going to need a SYE, DC rear driveshaft, new springs, new shocks, to eliminate the coil spacers, new extended sway bar links front and rear, longer front brake lines, bumpstop extensions, adjustable control arms front and rear, adjustable track bars front and rear, with a rear track bar relocation bracket, a few modified/reinforced brackets (some welding required) and when you go to larger tires you'll need upgraded steering, upgraded brakes, and to regear & recalibrate the speedo. I'm probably forgetting some things...but generally, a good working setup will be around $5000 by the time you're done.

Haines15 07-18-2012 12:24 AM

Well I've been told I can buy a 2" suspension lift in addition to coil spacers and it will work. Not sure if thats true or not though.

Derp 07-18-2012 02:51 AM

If you want to do 31's go with the 2" Bds lift and some savvy fox shocks. If you want 33's add a BL and MML to that. If you want 35's and up you're in a whole nother ball park.

Neil F. 07-18-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haines15 (Post 2596032)
Well I've been told I can buy a 2" suspension lift in addition to coil spacers and it will work. Not sure if thats true or not though.

2" spacers are not a good idea. It's been asked a lot. Do a search. 31's with a 4" is going to look goofy.

kjeeper10 07-18-2012 05:15 AM

Agree.

Do 3.25"

2" spacers and 1.25 BL/MML. 33" tire and your done :thumb:

rda616 07-18-2012 07:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haines15
Well I've been told I can buy a 2" suspension lift in addition to coil spacers and it will work. Not sure if thats true or not though.

As unlimitedlj04 has stated already. You need a lot more then just springs to make it a 4" lift.

Do yourself a favor and do a 1.25" body lift. This is the cheapest and best option you have.

Imped 07-18-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haines15 (Post 2596032)
Well I've been told I can buy a 2" suspension lift in addition to coil spacers and it will work. Not sure if thats true or not though.

How crappy do you want your Jeep to perform?

Derp 07-18-2012 01:22 PM

Theirs a reason coil spacers won't be seen on the trails at a 2" size

AZ Greeen Jeep 07-18-2012 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you looking for REAL cheap......

Haines15 07-18-2012 08:41 PM

I'm just gonna get rid of the two inch coil spacers I have and save for a 4" suspension lift with 33s

Derp 07-18-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haines15
I'm just gonna get rid of the two inch coil spacers I have and save for a 4" suspension lift with 33s

You'd be better off with 3" and a BL so you can tummy tuck.

BLK00TJ 07-18-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 2597859)
Theirs a reason coil spacers won't be seen on the trails at a 2" size

I did it once and decided to upgrade before going back. I had a 1.25" BL on it as well though. I didn't rub because of bumpstops but travel sucked.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...chCreek012.jpg

Derp 07-18-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ
I did it once and decided to upgrade before going back. I had a 1.25" BL on it as well though. I didn't rub because of bumpstops but travel sucked.

Travel sucks with stock coils, and soacers further expose that. I'm going to be putting my Bds coils on here in a week or two.

BigToe79 07-18-2012 10:24 PM

From my research, cheaper may cost you MUCH more in the long run. Study max tire and wheel size you can convert to without changing out expensive gears, etc. Too big will destroy expensive and necessary hardware. The more expensive lifts include parts you need to correctly lift your Jeep, but there is a max lift of around 3" or so before really expensive modifications.

tbensor 07-18-2012 11:42 PM

^this^ do you really want to go cheap on a lift. Always a possibility to introduce DW and other fun stuff

Haines15 07-19-2012 12:29 AM

Well its just a matter of Im 17 I dont have a ton of money to throw around. I can get a 4" suspension kit from skyjacker or rough country for a little over $500.

MickeYJ 07-19-2012 12:34 AM

I have 3.5" lift with 31s and they look small (I think)
I wouldn't do 4" cause you would need to mess with the driveshaft or something which would cost u more. I paid $1300 for lift

Derp 07-19-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haines15
Well its just a matter of Im 17 I dont have a ton of money to throw around. I can get a 4" suspension kit from skyjacker or rough country for a little over $500.

NO. The fact that your 17 means you need to spend wisely. What's your budget?

Bds 2" coils 230$, shocks 350$, Rims 200$ tires 700$. 1.25" BL and MML 250$. That's what it wi cost to do a well put together starter lift to fit 31's or 33's

MickeYJ 07-19-2012 01:02 AM

True.
Hes right, just save up the money untill u get something that will last n will b safer. =>

O_M_Jeep 07-19-2012 01:08 AM

RC 3.25" and a 1.25" bl and 1" MML, that gives you 4" and you can save for control arms and SYE later, this setup will work with 31"s or 33"s and with the 1" MML you probably wont need the TC drop, expense wise this is your best option imo.

topher38 07-19-2012 01:08 AM

Honestly save your money... I'm 18 iv been working for the last 4 years almost every penny iv made has gone into my jeep
Along with tons of donation (make a wish foundation... In some ways it pays to have cancer as a kid lol) money and some of my parents money. All in all I have about 15000 into my jeep and that doesn't include the 7500 to buy it. I love my jeep
More than anything in the world. But its expensive. The bigger you go the more expensive it will get. It all start off fun, till you break a part because it's not made for the lift and tires you have. In the last few months I've spent about 4 grand from about march 2012 to today just on parts and labor because I broke stuff wheeling with parts that weren't up to par.

Take your time and start small is what i guess I'm telling you. And do it right the first time so you don't have to have it redone a second time.

Rolf 07-19-2012 01:38 AM

Strange that no-one has mentioned it but if you don't have money then don't go for a large lift. A 2" BB works fine if you have proper shocks to go with them, especially if your budget is tight. If you want something a little better and bigger go for Zone 4.25" Combo Lift. Perfect.for 33s and you should not need anything else.

00tj2 07-19-2012 02:00 AM

I don't get it?? If you already have 2" coil spacers and 31's then why do you need 4" of lift?? 31's fit with room to spare with a 2" BB and they perform just fine on the trail. If your not going up In tire size what is the reason to go up in lift??



And to BLK00tj are you sure those weren't 33's you were running?? And why did your travel suck? I have 31's no bump stops and 2" BB and I can flex right up to my fenders and slightly rub without damage only on the most extreme stuff. Did you have sway bar disconnects? Curious. I know jeeps seem to be slightly different from one to the next that's why I'm asking.

Rolf 07-19-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2
I don't get it?? If you already have 2" coil spacers and 31's then why do you need 4" of lift?? 31's fit with room to spare with a 2" BB and they perform just fine on the trail. If your not going up In tire size what is the reason to go up in lift??

And to BLK00tj are you sure those weren't 33's you were running?? And why did your travel suck? I have 31's no bump stops and 2" BB and I can flex right up to my fenders and slightly rub without damage only on the most extreme stuff. Did you have sway bar disconnects? Curious. I know jeeps seem to be slightly different from one to the next that's why I'm asking.

I agree. That is why I said a 2" BB works fine especially with matching shocks. Mine flexed pretty good with that setup. Infact I still have 2" BB at the rear.

TJspeed 07-19-2012 02:55 AM

My Jeep with a 2" BB 1.25" body lift on 33x10.5 KM2. I am looking at getting 2" BDS springs.

Attachment 142297



Attachment 142298



Attachment 142299

Derp 07-19-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed
My Jeep with a 2" BB 1.25" body lift on 33x10.5 KM2. I am looking at getting 2" BDS springs.

I'm going down the same path :p you got discos?

BLK00TJ 07-19-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2 (Post 2600446)
And to BLK00tj are you sure those weren't 33's you were running?? And why did your travel suck?

Yes, those were 33s and the travel sucked because the BB also over compresses the coils a bit. That picture was on relatively flat ground.

they call me nasty 07-19-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed
My Jeep with a 2" BB 1.25" body lift on 33x10.5 KM2. I am looking at getting 2" BDS springs.

Nice rig man


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.