Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How long to break in new engine? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-long-to-break-in-new-engine-174625.html)

montemac 07-18-2012 02:40 PM

How long to break in new engine?

Just picked up new Black Wranger Altitude. How long do I have to go to "break in" the engine? I'm at 125 miles right now

kik 07-18-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montemac (Post 2597927)
Just picked up new Black Wranger Altitude. How long do I have to go to "break in" the engine? I'm at 125 miles right now

From the book:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided. Trailer tow is not recommended
during break in period.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil
changes should be consistent with anticipated climate
conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For
the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to
“Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”.
NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL
OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.

cgl61 07-18-2012 05:38 PM

Just Run It

I picked my new Freedom Edition the other day. Took it on a 259 mile run to Washington, DC in which I had stop and go driving, 90+ mph on the highway, creeping along at times, etc. Getting ready to change out the initial oil and filter at 600 miles or so.

I've had many new cars and never follow proper new break in procedures and every single one never missed a beat. Broke in the sports cars and cycles by running them hard. Not beating them to death or twisting them up to red line but just good hard running. Again, never a problem. That is starting with a 1980 Mustang Cobra Turbo motor and close to 50 new ones since. Remember those days?

pluke the 2 07-18-2012 05:41 PM

less then 1k miles

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...Creek/HC45.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...k/S1030011.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...k/S1030016.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...k/S1030021.jpg

if you break it in, break it right.

daggo66 07-18-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgl61 (Post 2598642)
I picked my new Freedom Edition the other day. Took it on a 259 mile run to Washington, DC in which I had stop and go driving, 90+ mph on the highway, creeping along at times, etc. Getting ready to change out the initial oil and filter at 600 miles or so.

I've had many new cars and never follow proper new break in procedures and every single one never missed a beat. Broke in the sports cars and cycles by running them hard. Not beating them to death or twisting them up to red line but just good hard running. Again, never a problem. That is starting with a 1980 Mustang Cobra Turbo motor and close to 50 new ones since. Remember those days?

90+? :nonono:

kjeeper10 07-18-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2
less then 1k miles

if you break it in, break it right.

:punk:

citricacid 07-18-2012 07:42 PM

Jeeps can go 90+? =P

Mine gets to 70 and the top sounds like it's going to break free.

dawhitesJKU 07-18-2012 08:18 PM

^ the jeep gets pretty zippy in high rpm although the engine sounds like its gonna fall apart.

btw, i'm at 750 miles. when do u guys recommend to change oil?

doubleuarex2011 07-18-2012 09:11 PM

Ive never let it go longer for 1k the first oil change. And I change mine after every 2k from there forward. Seems kinda silly but its done well for me, and my WRX sure likes it a lot.

chim-chim7 07-19-2012 03:07 AM

I did my first oil change at 5k and it was the first vehicle I have even gone over 1k with before its first oil change. There was not even the smallest flake of metal in the element. I see no reason on the Pentastar to change early. On my bikes that have wet clutches they get changed every race day. I also think synthetic is a waste of money but what do I know. I have only been twisting wrenches for 30 years. Everyone has a different opinion, either way you decide will be fine.

J708 07-19-2012 05:04 AM

dealership advised to take it easy the first 600 miles

dawhitesJKU 07-19-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chim-chim7 (Post 2600448)
I did my first oil change at 5k and it was the first vehicle I have even gone over 1k with before its first oil change. There was not even the smallest flake of metal in the element. I see no reason on the Pentastar to change early. On my bikes that have wet clutches they get changed every race day. I also think synthetic is a waste of money but what do I know. I have only been twisting wrenches for 30 years. Everyone has a different opinion, either way you decide will be fine.

the kind of response i was looking for. thanks a lot. 5k it is!

Mody n Domy 07-20-2012 10:51 PM

Just changed oil in my sport at 1321 miles looked at filter and found no metal or
particles at all. I used a NAPA gold filter and Amsoil 5w-30 signature oil. I have used Amsoil in my last 3 cars total miles 350,000 with no oil related problems. And no I don't sell it.

XpressoBeans 07-21-2012 01:37 AM

Probably a dumb question.. I haven't had a brand new car in years.. Do i need to take it to the dealership for oil changes for my warranty to be valid?
Thanks

aha 07-21-2012 01:54 AM

Pluke I am with ya man! I was wheeling with mine at 200 miles on the odometer!

Braveheart12JK 07-21-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XpressoBeans
Probably a dumb question.. I haven't had a brand new car in years.. Do i need to take it to the dealership for oil changes for my warranty to be valid?
Thanks

Absolutely not. You can take it to a dealer, an independent shop or do it yourself. Your warranty is good in all of the above situations. However, for resale or something like that down the road, if you keep records of regular oil changes and maintenance from a dealer or shop, it may be more desirable to a buyer. I have my local 4WD shop rotate my tires and do an Amsoil oil change every 4500K to 5000K miles and I keep the records in a folder. I love their work, and they check all my components for wear and safety with me with them so I get to learn and feel at ease :)

davefr 07-21-2012 08:52 AM

"Drive it like you stole it" and don't look back!!

The old break in procedures from Grandpa's era no longer apply to modern vehicles. Drive it at a variety of speeds and put some stress on that engine.

You also don't need to change oil at 100 miles. Break in oil is no longer used.

JPi1 07-21-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefr
"drive it like you stole it" and don't look back!!

The old break in procedures from grandpa's era no longer apply to modern vehicles. Drive it at a variety of speeds and put some stress on that engine.

x2!

SilverSport 07-21-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefr (Post 2607635)
"Drive it like you stole it" and don't look back!!

The old break in procedures from Grandpa's era no longer apply to modern vehicles. Drive it at a variety of speeds and put some stress on that engine.

Not totally true. :nonono:

While newer engines don't seem to need the break in that engines did years ago, the differentials, especially the rear, need time to break in.
And while the front diff gets airflow to keep it cool, the rear diff will run hotter than normal during break in. The advice in the owners manual applies equally to the diffs.

Mody n Domy 07-21-2012 10:37 AM

I told you last night that I didnt have any metal particals in my filter after 1321 miles I was wrong I didnt take the filter into the direct sunlight and look at it last night. When I held it in the sun today and separated the folds in the filter there was small metal particles at the bottom of almost each fold. They were small but they were there, makes me glad I changed the oil when I did. The filter did its job so I know the Amsoil and NAPA gold filter will work I have been using this combo for years.