Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   My accelerator is sticking, anybody know why? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/my-accelerator-is-sticking-anybody-know-why-174716.html)

mountainmandrake 07-18-2012 09:27 PM

My accelerator is sticking, anybody know why?

My accelerator is sticking at 1500 rpm. It is almost like a big rig's high idle. I thought it might be the throtle cable sticking, but i have had the hood up and it looks good. There was no slack or pinched line. honestly it rarely happens. What could it be?

Derp 07-18-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainmandrake
My accelerator is sticking at 1500 rpm. It is almost like a big rig's high idle. I thought it might be the throtle cable sticking, but i have had the hood up and it looks good. There was no slack or pinched line. honestly it rarely happens. What could it be?

IAC . Have you ever cleaned the Throttle body?

mountainmandrake 07-20-2012 07:19 PM

I did when i added a throttle body spacer recently.

tbensor 07-20-2012 07:45 PM

slack wouldn't cause high idle. Tension would. Did the TB spacer add to much tension? When it high idles have to looked at the throttle position under the hood? If so can you manually move it to the correct position?

mountainmandrake 07-21-2012 11:48 AM

I have a small amount of play on the tb cable. it is not supper tight. It has a little give when i apply finger to cable.

Jerry Bransford 07-21-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainmandrake (Post 2606346)
I did when i added a throttle body spacer recently.

There might now be a leak between the throttle body and intake manifold now which can be the cause of your high idle. Personally, I'd remove the TB spacer to see if that's the cause of the high idle via a vacuum leak installing it might have caused. Whenever there is a leak in the throttle body or intake manifold area, high RPMs are the result.

And actually, you got taken on the benefits of the throttle body spacer. There are no benefits to a throttle body spacer where a Wrangler TJ engine is concerned. No kidding. Spacers can perform wonders when placed under carburetors or the old no-longer-used type of throttle body called TBI (throttle body injection), both of which pass an air/fuel mixture, but spacers do literally nothing when placed under the air-only type of throttle body the Wrangler TJ engines use.

TB spacers do absolutely nothing for a Wrangler TJ engine. Really. No more power, no more MPG... despite the hype of some advertisements. Sorry.

And no guarantee your high idle is caused by having installed a throttle body spacer but a vacuum leak is a common cause of high idle rpms. :)

B-wils-TJ 07-21-2012 12:07 PM

Mine would idle high before I replaced the throttle position sensor.. 1500-2000 rpms all the time no matter if the engine was hot or cold.

tbensor 07-21-2012 11:36 PM

Well said Jerry. I thought as much but didn't have the experience to bsck it uo

Bloree 11-03-2012 04:42 PM

Our 2012 Jeep Wrangler's accelerator stuck to the floor board last week. They replaced the accelerator, but can't tell me why it happened! Sometimes the windows won't roll down too...any connection?

Bamadan 11-03-2012 06:08 PM

B-wils
yours is more than likely a cold air valve out of adjustment.

Derp 11-03-2012 06:25 PM

TPS sensor can be a pesky little thing too.

Mine just went out causing high idle and a miss in cylinder 2.

It came in stages.

1. Check engine light
2. Light with high idle
3. Cylinder 2 miss and rich mixture