Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   cool air intake question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/cool-air-intake-question-174963.html)

cakes567 07-19-2012 10:27 PM

cool air intake question
 
I have a cool air intake on my jeep and it came with it. What's the deal with it? What are they designed to do? More power?

PJRNM 07-20-2012 09:38 AM

A cold air intake is an aftermarket assembly of parts used to bring relatively cool air into a car's internal-combustion engine.
The principle behind a cold air intake is that cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air.



Some strategies used in designing aftermarket cold air intakes are:
  • Reworking parts of the intake that create turbulence to reduce air resistance.
  • Providing a more direct route to the air intake by eliminating muffling devices.
  • Shortening the length of the intake.
  • Placing the intake duct so as to use the ram-air effect to give positive pressure at speed.
At least those are the idea's. EVERYBODY has their opinion regarding real world benefits.

cakes567 07-20-2012 11:01 AM

Thanks that helps a lot!

Nemesis530 07-20-2012 12:12 PM

One downfall of cold air intakes is the filter is exposed to water. Not usually a big deal for most people but just keep that in mind

cakes567 07-20-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis530
One downfall of cold air intakes is the filter is exposed to water. Not usually a big deal for most people but just keep that in mind

I have heard thatfelling before. Ill ne sure to keep it in mind. Thanks a lot guys

Shrimp 07-21-2012 12:55 AM

I have two yj's a 92 2.5l stock engine and 95 2.5l modded some with a coa and let me tell you it makes a big diff. I know some people here hate them and dont think they work but in my case im glad it has one and ive never had problems with water and i do go in big puddles too

YJ325i 07-22-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimp (Post 2607275)
I have two yj's a 92 2.5l stock engine and 95 2.5l modded some with a coa and let me tell you it makes a big diff. I know some people here hate them and dont think they work but in my case im glad it has one and ive never had problems with water and i do go in big puddles too

What brand is your CAI ?. I ordered one from AFE, but it was for a TJ setup, completly different. Turns out they don't make one for the YJ 2.5L. K&N or Airaid only options?

Shrimp 07-22-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ325i

What brand is your CAI ?. I ordered one from AFE, but it was for a TJ setup, completly different. Turns out they don't make one for the YJ 2.5L. K&N or Airaid only options?

Well mine was on when i bought the jeep. Its a brute force CAI and its like $250ish new i believe.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.