Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Lights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lights-174970.html)

KSigma_TJ 07-19-2012 11:24 PM

Lights

I'm adding a light-bar to my jeep, i already have 6 KC's for it, wiring and connectors. I've hooked up more lights on my jeep already but i was wondering if i needed to add fuses in the wiring, and i'm guessing if i should add them it would be the positive wire.

also if anyone has any tips on how i should wire the light-bar feel free to add.
(note: i know KC's come with wiring, but all i have are the lights themselves, so im buying the materials i need for the project)

blue6tj 07-20-2012 04:09 AM

I added an extra "Painless" fuse box to my Jeep and I always use the proper wiring harness also. I run 1 wire harness for every 2 light except for my hood lights (3 lights) which I run lights off 1 wire harness/switch. If I was running 6 lights on a light bar then I would put in a 6 fuse box, and run 2 or 3 switches (witch means 2 or 3 wire harnesses) so you have different light combinations that you can run depending on what, and how much light you need... Switch 1, lights 1 and 6. Switch 2, lights 2 and 5. Switch 3, lights 3 and 4. Post some pic's when its all done... Good luck!

sparky 07-20-2012 09:31 AM

You may or may not need additional fusing, but you should have a relay for each set of lights.

All positive leads are fused.

KSigma_TJ 07-21-2012 01:11 PM

Thanks guys, I'm going to be hooking it all up in about 2-3 weeks when I get home, and I'll be sure to post pictures after

KSigma_TJ 08-14-2012 01:56 AM

all done

1 Attachment(s)
i decided on only putting 4 KC's on the light bar, i still might go back later and add more but i think i'll have enough lights for a while :D

Burnt orange tj 08-24-2012 09:57 PM

I am having an issue with two kc lights I don't have the wiring harness for them only the lights. They are windshield mounted and I have a 40amp relay and a regular two prong silver switch. How should I wire these up to make them work properly. All comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sccrbrg 08-25-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnt orange tj
I am having an issue with two kc lights I don't have the wiring harness for them only the lights. They are windshield mounted and I have a 40amp relay and a regular two prong silver switch. How should I wire these up to make them work properly. All comments would be greatly appreciated.

Oh geeze. Im havinh a hard enough time with the pre-wired harness. I'm not surr id have the patience to wire it from scratch lol

Flashole 08-25-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnt orange tj (Post 2722473)

I posted this in another thread, but this is an easy to understand diagram. I'm an electrical idiot, so I need simple diagrams like this:rofl:

As you can see, the difference between a 2post switch and a 3post switch is the indicator light.

You can buy a wiring kit with everything you need already in it, or you can just piece it all together. I was hooking up 4 switches in a row, so it was a whole lot cheaper for me to just piece it all together. All you really need is a 30/40 amp relay, an inline 20 amp fuse, wire and connectors.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n...ng20lights.jpg

BLK00TJ 08-25-2012 10:08 AM

Somebody afraid of the dark? That's a crap-load of lights there!

Brit Nick 08-25-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 2723496)
Somebody afraid of the dark? That's a crap-load of lights there!

:rofl:

Do you run them all off the battery, or do you have/need an alternate power source ?

KSigma_TJ 08-26-2012 02:21 PM

@ Brit Nick: i run all of them off my battery, i have a 14V Military grade optima yellow top.

@burnt orange tj: KC has all their wiring diagrams on their website, i think they're under support. i wired all those lights from scratch and it took about 3 hours, including the lightbar and bracket installation. it's really not as scary as you think.

ad-man 03-10-2013 09:42 AM

So could a person take a terminal strip like the one by the battery, put it under the dash and so all the wiring there? Would you still need the relay's? How about power ti the strip, would you need to relay that or just run a big wire strip to strip?
Does that make sense?