Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   6 bolt chevy dana 44 front swap into TJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/6-bolt-chevy-dana-44-front-swap-into-tj-175024.html)

TJe0454 07-20-2012 11:34 AM

6 bolt chevy dana 44 front swap into TJ
 
hey all, came upon a cheap d44 front my girlfriend's brother has sitting around. all i know is that he wants to get rid of it, its a 6 bolt chevy d44, driver side diff, and currently set up for leaf springs. he would be doing the welding and mount work (hes works for a fabrication shop). anyone have experience with this? is it as easy as getting 5x4.5 hubs with matching spline count and welding on control arm/track bar mounts?
now that i have an 8.8 in the rear, i felt that a d30 would be my weak link. im planning on throwing the d44 up front, c gussets, and shafts all around to run 37s.

Ibuildembig 07-20-2012 11:36 AM

Hmmmm, chevy never made any solid axle that was drivers drop diff.....maybe he is cornfused and its a ford?

TJe0454 07-20-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 2605313)
Hmmmm, chevy never made any solid axle that was drivers drop diff.....maybe he is cornfused and its a ford?

possible. they have a bunch of axles laying around in their shop. (my girlfriend relayed the info so...lol)
so let's say, for the moment, that its a ford d44. i know the year matters but i dont have the info right now.

Ibuildembig 07-20-2012 11:43 AM

Well the years do matter, but Ford didnt use a Dana 44 after 1979. Get some pics and we can tell you what it is :)

TJe0454 07-20-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 2605333)
Well the years do matter, but Ford didnt use a Dana 44 after 1979. Get some pics and we can tell you what it is :)

ill grab a pic when im over there today. thanks man.

rda616 07-20-2012 12:40 PM

The swap isn't really worth doing . There is only one vehicle that came with a hub that would work on that axle that would get you a 5x4.5 bolt pattern . Some d100 pickups had those hubs and they were super weak and unreliable .

The ford 44 is 67.5" wms to wms . A tj is 60.5" wms to wms .

Also the most common failure points on a Dana 30 and Dana 44 are the same . The universal is generally the first thing to fail on both these axles and they both use the same size universal joint . Another point of failure is the ball joints and they are also of the same small variety , so again no real strength gains.

Ibuildembig 07-20-2012 01:34 PM

But being high pinion will be strength point, and full width is alot more stable

rda616 07-20-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig
But being high pinion will be strength point, and full width is alot more stable

Not really . The fail points are the same on both the 30 and 44, so the strength gain in the reverse spiral gear is moot. Also if it's a half ton ford 44 with cast wedges the tubes are weak, so the housing would need tubes . Really if it's not 3/4 ton I wouldn't even think of touching it. Honesty if the op wants 37" tires he needs a 60 , a hybrid 9" , or a hybrid 44.

Ibuildembig 07-20-2012 01:58 PM

Well, if it is indeed a Ford with leaf springs, then there is only one it could be and that's out of a supercab 74-79 and would not have cast wedges (that's 78-79 only, and only 1/2 ton regular cab). This is the reason we need pics :) I am all for 60 fronts, just most people dont want to open their checkbook up that far

rda616 07-20-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig
Well, if it is indeed a Ford with leaf springs, then there is only one it could be and that's out of a supercab 74-79 and would not have cast wedges (that's 78-79 only, and only 1/2 ton regular cab). This is the reason we need pics :) I am all for 60 fronts, just most people dont want to open their checkbook up that far

Definitely need pic's. I'm guessing a waggy lp44 if it's drivers side drop and 6 lug.

Ibuildembig 07-20-2012 02:06 PM

Yup, didnt think about that.....dont see too many of them around here in the last 20 years LOL

GoldenSahara00 07-20-2012 02:43 PM

Tom I find it funny that I suggested a hp44 to you a few weeks ago when you mentioned going to 35s, and you told me it was a bad idea. :rofl:

You'll have a sweet axle setup when you finally do pick a front axle.

TJe0454 07-20-2012 08:18 PM

turns out its a passenger side drop :( well what years are good to pull a d44 front from? something with a close width to the d30....

rda616 07-20-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJe0454
turns out its a passenger side drop :( well what years are good to pull a d44 front from? something with a close width to the d30....

The only one that is the same, or even close to the same width is a 1980 + wagoneer axle and they are low pinion. They really aren't worth swaping in. I just took one out of my jeep and replaced it with a high pinion 30.

lindel 07-20-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJe0454 (Post 2606618)
turns out its a passenger side drop :( well what years are good to pull a d44 front from? something with a close width to the d30....

Any 80-91 Jeep Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer or 80-83 NT Cherokee, with the exception of the 84/85 year models. Those were vacuum operated front axles, and worth staying away from.

As far as strength, they'll be much stronger than the D30. Leaf spring perches that'll have to be removed and spring cup will need to be welded on.

They'll have 6 lug rotors, disc brakes and will fit 15" wheels.

GoldenSahara00 07-20-2012 11:33 PM

You should stick to 35s and building your hp30. Not worth the work to compromise for a crappy d44.

Lineman827 07-21-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00
You should stick to 35s and building your hp30. Not worth the work to compromise for a crappy d44.

d44 crappy??? ok, im not a gear head, and new to jeeps. my d35 just died on me & am i considering a d44. should i not? i have a 4" lift w/35" tires. i was lookin on quadratec at the g2 d44 w/disc conversion.

rda616 07-21-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lineman827

d44 crappy??? ok, im not a gear head, and new to jeeps. my d35 just died on me & am i considering a d44. should i not? i have a 4" lift w/35" tires. i was lookin on quadratec at the g2 d44 w/disc conversion.

A dana 44 isn't crappy. A dana 44 front axle doesn't offer enough of a strength gain over a dana 30 front axle to justify the amount of work it takes to put it in a jeep. A dana 44 rear is much stronger then a dana 35 and is a great upgrade. That being said, if you are spending that kind of money on an axle then you need to look at a ford explorer 8.8 from ecgs. The 8.8 is a stronger axle then the dana 44 and will likely cost a lot less than a g2 axle will.

Lineman827 07-21-2012 06:49 PM

thnx rda!!!

GoldenSahara00 07-21-2012 08:24 PM

Good advice and you can get a loaded up 8.8 for about the same price as an unlocked 44 from g2/quad if I remember correctly.

Lineman827 07-21-2012 08:29 PM

just checked em out, price is fairly close. i was also lookin at superior axel.. AMERICAN MADE!! a lil more expensive, (locked) but i do like supporting AMERICAN businesses

GoldenSahara00 07-21-2012 10:07 PM

They are all expensive of you ask me, and ecgs is about as American as you can get, unless I missed something.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.