Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Want buy 1st Jeep need help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/want-buy-1st-jeep-need-help-175081.html)

rsd30076 07-20-2012 06:54 PM

Want buy 1st Jeep need help

New to the forum and want to buy my first jeep. Looking at 2012 unlimited but need some advice as to the model and possible modifications.

No need for nav system.
Like 4x4 but not necessarily going to off road much.
Want bigger tires but max 3 inch lift if I lift at all.
Sahara looks good so far to me but wondering about Rubicon or Altitude. Can spend around 35k.
Any help much appreciated and apologies for my initial lack of knowledge. Been looking at the forum quite a bit to educate myself.
Thanks

kbwwolf 07-20-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsd30076 (Post 2606434)
New to the forum and want to buy my first jeep. Looking at 2012 unlimited but need some advice as to the model and possible modifications.

No need for nav system.
Like 4x4 but not necessarily going to off road much.
Want bigger tires but max 3 inch lift if I lift at all.
Sahara looks good so far to me but wondering about Rubicon or Altitude. Can spend around 35k.
Any help much appreciated and apologies for my initial lack of knowledge. Been looking at the forum quite a bit to educate myself.
Thanks

I'm not sure what you need help with. Which model do you like? Which one seems like it will best suit your needs?

Because of this statement, "Like 4x4 but not necessarily going to off road much" I'd scratch the Rubicon right outta the gate. You'll have no need for it's off-road extras.

To me, the Altitude is just a gimmick. I understand some peeps like them, and if you're one of them, have at it. But you're paying extra $$ for different-colored rims, some stitching and a couple of stickers. As I said, JMO.

I'd advise you to do a good bit of research before you start thinking about big tires and 3" lifts.

Welcome to WF. :)

rsd30076 07-20-2012 07:09 PM

Thanks for the help. Didn't realize that about the Altitude. Sahara is the one i'm looking at thus far. Figured that without much off roading the Rubicon might be unnecessary but wanted confirmation. Appreciate it.

kbwwolf 07-20-2012 07:34 PM

The Rubi has a beefier front axle, lower gearing (4.10's as opposed to 3.73's or 3.21's) and some options the other models don't have.

Nevertheless, any Wrangler can go places that most other vehicles can't, straight off the dealer's lot. And going off-road can be addicting. You should be as honest with yourself as possible. You wouldn't be the first person who said, "I just want a Wrangler to drive on the road," and then showed up here all muddy. :D

If you think you'll go off-road infrequently, though, the Sahara might be the way to go. It has a few more creature comforts than the Sport, if that's important to you.

cmg427 07-20-2012 08:47 PM

The Altitude is a good package at a good price. If you already wanted a color matching top and leather seats your practically not paying anything for the rims and interior trim. If I was buying a Sahara it would be the Altitude.

KB your only paying about $300 for the stickers, different rims, gas cap, red stitching, and black interior pieces. To me thats a pretty damn good deal.

mph122170 07-20-2012 10:42 PM

Stay away from any Jeep Wrangler. It will affect your job and your personal relationships...but then again, maybe for the better.

kjeeper10 07-20-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mph122170
Stay away from any Jeep Wrangler. It will affect your job and your personal relationships...but then again, maybe for the better.

And your Wallet :)

Rowhock 07-20-2012 11:12 PM

Dont overlook the basic Sport models. For someone who doesnt plan to do much hard core wheeling I think you will find you get a let of bang for your buck and with the big amount of money you will save it will give you the oppertunity to customize it the way you want it. I went this route and for me it was the perfect compromise.