Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JKU Soft-top Recommendations - Opinions & Pictures Wanted (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jku-soft-top-recommendations-opinions-and-pictures-wanted-175403.html)

Geckoid 07-22-2012 02:06 PM

JKU Soft-top Recommendations - Opinions & Pictures Wanted
 
I have a 2012 Gecko Green 4dr JKU Sahara and want to hear your opinions & see your pictures on the best and most user friendly Soft-topís available. My very first TJ was a soft-top (many years ago). Then my second TJ was 2dr JKU hard-top, and now as you can see, I've got a 4dr JKU hardtop.

I'd like to be able to rotate between the hard-top during the winter, and a soft-top during the spring and summer months so that I can quickly and easily go topless at anytime it strikes my fancy -AND- if I'm out and get caught in a unexpected rain storm, I want to be able to quickly and easily get the top back up and stay dry and protected from nature's fury. We've been having some really severe storms this summer with incredible amounts of rain and hail.

In researching this on my own, I've found that there are so many brands and models to choose from that's its hard to decide, so I thought this would be a good topic to get everyone's opinion on before I make a purchase.


So...based on your own firsthand experience with the soft-top you're using, I'd like to know:

1. Is the best option to just order an OEM unit from Jeep ?

2. If going after market, which brand/model is better ? Pros/Cons ?

3. Are certain brands/models more prone to leaking or tearing easily ?

4. Which brands/models have the best fit and finish right out of the box ?

5. Do certain brands/models offer a little more security than others as far as preventing theft and vandalism ?

suicideking 07-22-2012 02:30 PM

Your best bet is to find one in the classifieds or on Craig's list. Lots of people get dual tops because that's what comes with their Jeep, but they have no intention of ever putting the soft top on and end up selling them. Expect to pay $300-$500 or so.

One thing to look for though, is many come with clear windows. Most will want the tinted windows. You can buy the windows separately. So if you get a good enough deal on a factory top with clear windows, you can get the tinted windows later.

I heard that the '12 is higher quality, something to do with how the sides of the top stay on. Not sure which year this started, or if it's just '12 and above.

Your aftermarket options:
Probably the best one is the Bestop Supertop. Other is Bestop Trektop NX. The NX is less money, has a 'fastback' look. If you don't like the fastback look, you'll want the supertop. I haven't done a lot of research, but have heard the Supertop is the best one to get. Of course, also most expensive, around $1000. I think the NX is closer to $700 or so.

My prices may be a little off. I've only loosely looked into it because I have other priorities right now (bent tie rod, new front bumper, etc).

Regarding Security, they pretty much all suck for security. You can break into all of them with sharp scissors or a box cutter. If you're worried about security, you will want an alarm with a motion sensor.

Definitely post up with what you end up with.

:popcorn:

snochick 07-22-2012 05:58 PM

^^^^^

Both of ours came with hard tops which we personally don't like. Living in AZ we can go topless most of the year and have no place to store one. So we sold them both.

Got both our soft tops off craigslist for a few hundred dollars. Just make sure you get the soft top mounting brackets with it. Luckily the seller gave me their brackets with mine, but I've seen quite a few people on here bought them only to bring them home and figure out they need brackets. I think you can get hold of those pretty easy though.

Spyderwebshade fits under the factory top too so for the AZ sun it's nice that I can roll around without the kids and I getting sunburned when the top is down.

InfernoGirl 07-22-2012 06:36 PM

If you want to be able to keep it with you easily while it's down then a top with a frame is what you'll want. If you want it not to look like a stagecoach then the fastback style is what you're looking for. The best choices for framed tops will be either factory take offs, or Bestop Supertop NX, frameless fastback choices include Bestop Trektop NX (we have this one on our JKU) or Offroad heros, and I'm sure there are others out there, but you get what you pay for....
There are advantages to both styles, you just need to decide what your needs/wishes are to make an informed decision.

rockitdoc 07-27-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geckoid (Post 2611145)
I have a 2012 Gecko Green 4dr JKU Sahara and want to hear your opinions & see your pictures on the best and most user friendly Soft-topís available. My very first TJ was a soft-top (many years ago). Then my second TJ was 2dr JKU hard-top, and now as you can see, I've got a 4dr JKU hardtop.

I'd like to be able to rotate between the hard-top during the winter, and a soft-top during the spring and summer months so that I can quickly and easily go topless at anytime it strikes my fancy -AND- if I'm out and get caught in a unexpected rain storm, I want to be able to quickly and easily get the top back up and stay dry and protected from nature's fury. We've been having some really severe storms this summer with incredible amounts of rain and hail.

In researching this on my own, I've found that there are so many brands and models to choose from that's its hard to decide, so I thought this would be a good topic to get everyone's opinion on before I make a purchase.


So...based on your own firsthand experience with the soft-top you're using, I'd like to know:

1. Is the best option to just order an OEM unit from Jeep ?

2. If going after market, which brand/model is better ? Pros/Cons ?

3. Are certain brands/models more prone to leaking or tearing easily ?

4. Which brands/models have the best fit and finish right out of the box ?

5. Do certain brands/models offer a little more security than others as far as preventing theft and vandalism ?

My Supertop may be for sale tomorrow if I can't figure out how to install it. Check this post:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bes...es-176485.html

People seem to like them. Maybe somebody else installed it. I wouldn't recommend a diy. I'm very mechanical and it was mostly a mystery to me. 14 hrs and it's still not on completely, and what is on, I have doubts about.

Metonymy 07-27-2012 12:34 AM

So you're saying if I can get a brand new factory soft top (with tinted windows) taken off a 2012 jeep for say $450, that'd be a good deal?

rockitdoc 07-27-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metonymy (Post 2626552)
So you're saying if I can get a brand new factory soft top (with tinted windows) taken off a 2012 jeep for say $450, that'd be a good deal?

I paid $800-ish for the Bestop Supertop and thought THAT was a good deal considering Jeep wants like $1200. But, it's not on the car, yet, after 14 hours. So, the factory top might have been a better way to go and have someone else install it that has been through the agony already.

$450 would be stealing it, even with 14 hours+ time in it.

j0nx 07-27-2012 08:03 AM

You won't find a '11 or '12 top for less than $700 and rarely will you find one below $800. People are just not willing to sell those tops for cheap it seems. Most people want $750-1000 for theirs, at least for a JKU. You can get an 09 or 10 for around $500 usually if you are patient.

Geckoid 07-27-2012 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the great replies ! After doing some additional research and shopping around, I think I've decided on the Bestop Trektop NX. (Thanks InfirnoGirl for the recommendation !)

Geckoid 07-27-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockitdoc

I paid $800-ish for the Bestop Supertop and thought THAT was a good deal considering Jeep wants like $1200. But, it's not on the car, yet, after 14 hours. So, the factory top might have been a better way to go and have someone else install it that has been through the agony already.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with that softop Rockitdoc, I hope you get it figured out. Do you have the option of returning it to wherever you bought it ?

oletennessean 07-27-2012 01:32 PM

check this guy out if you havent already. offroadheros.com i just bought a top through him. so far he's been a pleasure to work with, but some have had issues with the wait. I'm hoping i'll be one of the lucky ones and wont have to deal with it, but his fastback tops look awesome

Metonymy 07-27-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metonymy (Post 2626552)
So you're saying if I can get a brand new factory soft top (with tinted windows) taken off a 2012 jeep for say $450, that'd be a good deal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockitdoc (Post 2627046)
I paid $800-ish for the Bestop Supertop and thought THAT was a good deal considering Jeep wants like $1200. But, it's not on the car, yet, after 14 hours. So, the factory top might have been a better way to go and have someone else install it that has been through the agony already.

$450 would be stealing it, even with 14 hours+ time in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nx (Post 2627067)
You won't find a '11 or '12 top for less than $700 and rarely will you find one below $800. People are just not willing to sell those tops for cheap it seems. Most people want $750-1000 for theirs, at least for a JKU. You can get an 09 or 10 for around $500 usually if you are patient.

Interesting. There are two brand new ones (as in... still have the factory wrap and the plastic rail parts are still in the cardboard box, unopened) and they're $450 each. Looks like I should try to snag one of them. Maybe I can talk them down to $400. :whistling:

This is one of the tops, still in box...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...b132d01ff0.jpg

karib4u 07-27-2012 02:28 PM

I picked up a 2012 sunrider JkU top for $775 including an extra boot for when the top is down and a bag for the windows. Bought it from someone off this forum and its perfect. I think I got a spectacular deal!

Goodie 07-27-2012 04:38 PM

Got my factory soft top for $500 from kijiji. It's from a 2010 but has the new spring loaded sides the guy had it stored in his basement to trade with his jeep, but the dealer told him to keep it and sell it. I think I got a pretty good deal, but had a hell of a time finding the bow brackets ( back ordered ) should be ok for you tho as I ended up having Morris 4WD send me some (cost me $0.50 more for them to ship them to Canada, then the dealer here quoted me. And he couldn't even get them.
Good luck


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.