Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Door Pillar Rattle Problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/door-pillar-rattle-problem-17593.html)

jiminma 04-13-2008 09:39 AM

Door Pillar Rattle Problem

Hi All,
I have a problem in the door pillars. About 2 months after buying my 2008 4 door, a thumping/rattle sound started in the pillar between the two doors on the drivers side. The dealer tightened the "door latch" (“” indicates what the dealer called the part on the repair invoice) and the sound went away. Couple weeks later it came back so they replaced the door latch. Sound went away and a couple weeks later it came back again. Then the passenger side started the same sound. This last visit they replaced the passenger side door latch and that sound went away. They tightened the "striker" on the driver’s side but that did not fix the problem, it still has a noise. Is anyone else having this problem?

Jim in MA

Gary1129 04-13-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiminma (Post 218045)
Hi All,
I have a problem in the door pillars. About 2 months after buying my 2008 4 door, a thumping/rattle sound started in the pillar between the two doors on the drivers side. The dealer tightened the "door latch" (“” indicates what the dealer called the part on the repair invoice) and the sound went away. Couple weeks later it came back so they replaced the door latch. Sound went away and a couple weeks later it came back again. Then the passenger side started the same sound. This last visit they replaced the passenger side door latch and that sound went away. They tightened the "striker" on the driver’s side but that did not fix the problem, it still has a noise. Is anyone else having this problem?

Jim in MA

Im supposed ta have a 4 door with what sounds like the same concern schedualed for tomarrow...if it shows up and I figure out what the noise is Ill let ya know....Gary

Hitchhiker 10-13-2008 06:47 PM

My JK Unlimited makes the same noise, a thumping/rattle when I hit bumps. From the sound and the direction it comes from (at my left ear) I have a hunch it's something in the seat belt height adjuster. I pushed on it but it didn't make any difference.

Haven't been back to the dealer yet, anyone have a clue what may be causing this?

Regards,
Richard

OffTheGrid 10-13-2008 11:17 PM

Mine is the same. A noticable clunk from the driver's door whenever I hit a big bump. I thought I'd monitor it for a while and see if gets better or worse, and try and get a better idea where it's coming from before I take it in.

skeejunkee 10-14-2008 05:33 AM

I have the same problem just didn't go to the dealer yet. If you figure it out let us know. Mine started after new bumpers so I thought that had somethingt to do w/ it. I guess not.

Hitchhiker 10-14-2008 07:47 AM

I did some research last night, the rattle is caused by the strike plate being out of adjustment. Apparently this is a common problem with the JK Unlimiteds. The dealer is supposed to have a "revised door latch" (part# 4589277AF).

Regards,
Richard

Hitchhiker 10-14-2008 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I fixed mine. I cut a piece of vinyl tubing about an inch long, split it, and stuck it on the striker with some super glue. No more rattle. :)

BLACKAL 10-15-2008 10:13 AM

I just put a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the stricker on mine. Thump went away.

OffTheGrid 10-15-2008 02:03 PM

Do you know if there is a TSB for this problem that I can refer to?

Hitchhiker 10-15-2008 03:50 PM

I thought about putting a couple wraps of tape, wasn't sure it'd last too long though. Probably a durable nylon bushing to fit over the striker would be the best, long term fix. All it needs is a tad more diameter to keep the striker firm in the latch.

Richard

kbart 10-16-2008 10:50 AM

Is the strike adjustable? If so try to find the fine line position that will keep the door tight and not rattle. Mine is so tight I have to slam the doors if the windows are shut. But no rattle.

Hitchhiker 10-20-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitchhiker (Post 272261)
I fixed mine. I cut a piece of vinyl tubing about an inch long, split it, and stuck it on the striker with some super glue. No more rattle. :)

My fix didn't last very long, the vinyl tubing fell off. :eek:

But, the rattle was gone while the tubing was on, maybe a different kind of glue would hold it better. Actually, if the striker was just about 1/8" larger in diameter it'd grip the latch tighter and wouldn't rattle.

Regards,
Richard

kbart 10-22-2008 02:49 PM

The strike may be adjustable by loosening the two screws and sliding the strike in or out depending on how tight you want the door.

Hitchhiker 10-22-2008 05:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion; the door tightness is OK and the outside of the door lines up correctly with the outside of the pillar, an adjustment would probably put it out of alignment or cause the door to require slamming to close.

memphismike 10-24-2008 05:28 PM

I took my 08 Unlimited in today for this very problem. Took with me a printout of a posting from another board that had a part number for a revised door latch. Turns out it is not the latch causing these problems. The service guy looked for and found a TSB relating to this problem. The problem was fixed (so far) with some kind of special grease in the latch assembly.

TSB 23-024-08 dated 8/2/8
applied to all vehicles built before 6/28/8

Hitchhiker 10-24-2008 05:40 PM

Hope the grease works. I put my vinyl 'bushing' back on today using Gorilla glue, hope it holds better than the Super Glue that I used before.

Regards,
Richard

memphismike 10-24-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitchhiker (Post 275255)
Hope the grease works. I put my vinyl 'bushing' back on today using Gorilla glue, hope it holds better than the Super Glue that I used before.

Regards,
Richard

Been driving around all day, even went off road and not one single rattle. The grease mentioned in the TSB is called Krytox, I looked and it looks like plain ole white lithium to me.

Hitchhiker 10-24-2008 05:52 PM

I Googled Krytox and got this.

Regards,
Richard

memphismike 10-24-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitchhiker (Post 275258)
I Googled Krytox and got this.

Regards,
Richard

Too many college words in there for me. Had I known it was a grease problem, I woulda tried some white lithium. Service dude said it should be permanent fix. We will see.

Richard, I see we have similar taste in Vehicles.

pfpallc 11-14-2008 08:35 AM

door rattle

The lube works! Sprayed a bit of silicone on the receiver and bingo...no rattle. Thanks for the excellent goundwork....P

Hitchhiker 11-14-2008 09:20 AM

I had the dealer do the TSB on mine yesterday, so far no rattles. Service adviser mentioned the grease costs nearly $30 (covered by warranty).

Regards,
Richard

RichRock 03-31-2009 08:22 AM

OK, I am going in a 3rd time for this today. 1st time they readjusted the striker plate. 2d time used the magic grease. 1st time did nothing. 2d lasted about 2 weeks. I have put electrical tape over it and that works great. Trouble is the tape is wearing off and will have to be replaced over and over.

They wouldn't even look at the part number for the revised plate last time. Maybe I will have better luck today.

Why is it we have to battle service departments to get them to fix our vehicles correctly? No wonder the industry is in the dumps. I go thru the same fights with every car I buy, domestic or foreign.

iamagolfspaz 03-31-2009 10:40 AM

The dealer greased mine 2 months ago and so far it working.

RichRock 03-31-2009 05:22 PM

voodoo maintenance

OK, here's what happened (as Monk says): I took it in for the free oil/filter change. I gave them 3 printouts from forums giving the "revised striker plate part number". And I told them what had been done before, including the tape fix, which was wearing off (but it did work). When I returned they said they could not duplicate the rattle, but I could take the mechanic for a ride and try myself. I made sure they had removed my old electrical tape, which they had. I then drove over every speed bump, pothole, and a rough open field....and could not get it to rattle. So far it still hasn't rattled.

Now, I am not crazy. I know the rattle came back after a few weeks with the grease. About 2 weeks ago, just before I went 4 wheeling with a group of guys, I added the tape so I didn't have to listen to the rattle the whole time I would be off-road. The tape was still on until today. I am wondering if all that offroad bouncing around somehow made the door mechanism seat better???

Oh yeah, regarding that revised part number. The mechanic told me the revision doesn't really mean anything, and it is NOT on a tsb (only the grease is). He said numbers change for many reasons...including when they buy parts from a new factory.

Time will tell.

memphismike 03-31-2009 06:09 PM

My grease fix wore off as well, so I took it back in. My service guy told me they would replace the latches. Said there is a TSB on it but they have to try the grease first. End result, got new latches and it still rattles, only not as bad. Been waiting on that customer satisfaction survey person to call so I can tell em they suck, lol.

texascc 04-04-2009 01:04 AM

Krytox huh? I'm a tech in the semiconductor industry and rebuild process chambers on wafer fab equipment. We use Krytox to lube the o-rings before putting them in. Pretty messy stuff but it's suppose to handle high temps, don't know why they would choose that for the door latch fix?

RichRock 04-05-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphismike (Post 347136)
My grease fix wore off as well, so I took it back in. My service guy told me they would replace the latches. Said there is a TSB on it but they have to try the grease first. End result, got new latches and it still rattles, only not as bad. Been waiting on that customer satisfaction survey person to call so I can tell em they suck, lol.

Funny. They told me there WASN'T a tsb on the latch change, just for the grease. But so far the rattle hasn't come back a 3rd time.

papaw 12-08-2009 06:24 PM

Appreciate all the input on this thread. After 6 months I had the same rattles and would have sworn it was in the door pillar area but after reading the thread I put a couple of wraps of duct tape around the outside rail of the striker and it's just as quite as it was the day we drove it off the show room floor. Took 4" of duct tape and 4 min. to wrap all 5 latches.

JustKidding 12-10-2009 04:22 PM

just for s&g, next time you're on a bumpy road reach out and pull down on your hardtop = made my rattle go away.

mrmzchiefus 08-16-2010 06:42 AM

Thumping door pillar

I got a 2010 unlimited with a hard top. I noticed the thumping noise on the ride home from purchase. She's going to the dealer next week for the problem, I'll find out what they did with mine and let you know!