Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Fuel Problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/fuel-problem-176155.html)

jgrom25 07-25-2012 05:57 PM

Fuel Problem

I have an 88 jeep wrangler. 4.2 straight six. Been driving and fixing it for twenty years but I'm stuck. Driving the other day when I lost power and she stopped as if she was out of gas. I was not. I just replaced fuel filter, mechanical fuel pump and part of the input line. Still not getting fuel into the carb? Any thoughts?
Thanks!

4Jeepn 07-25-2012 06:21 PM

Start simple, make sure all the new parts you just installed are okay and in working order. Is it possible the line got clogged?

jgrom25 07-25-2012 11:43 PM

Yeah, Not sure. I guess Ill need to check more lines. Any tips on checking them?

riceroni87 07-26-2012 12:48 AM

rubber lines on from gastank dry rotted?

kik 07-26-2012 09:43 AM

If you're not getting fuel to the carb. then you have to re-check everything that you did since it seems like the problem came after you replaced those parts. You could have a defective fuel pump, it happens. Maybe the line is the problem. Is the filter an oem type or did you replace it with something else.

jgrom25 07-26-2012 12:21 PM

No, did not replace parts until I lost the gas. Same exact problem after I replaced parts. starts for a second with gas in carb. I guess I need to check more lines. Thanks for all the thoughts here.any other miracles?

Redrider94 07-26-2012 09:31 PM

Did you put the fuel filter in the correct way?

kdub 07-26-2012 09:39 PM

Take off the line that goes into the fuel filter and turn the key.if gas comes out keep going foward to you find the problem.good point about making sure the you put the filter on the right way

0III0forlife 07-26-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdub (Post 2626255)
Take off the line that goes into the fuel filter and turn the key.if gas comes out keep going foward to you find the problem.good point about making sure the you put the filter on the right way

Well for 1 thing, turning the key wont do a damn thing on a 4.2L, cause it has a mechanical pump on the motor, not an electric 1 in the tank like them fancy newer(91 and up) machines.

take the main line coming from the pump, off of the filter, put it into a clear 2 liter empty bottle, and roll it over, if the pump is working correctly, it will fill that bottle in about 30 seconds.

If that test is ok, then its onto the rubber line on the carb side of the filter with the same test. That eliminates the "new" parts you put on.

I know when i changed my fuel pump, it had so much draw that it collapsed and cracked the rubber line back at the tank (guess it was time to change them out too). The bigger line 3/8, is the supply line at the tank, and the smaller 5/16 is the return. the 1/4 rubber line at the tank is the breather tube.

Sounds like the cracked line might be your problem, since you say that its trying to start, so therefore its getting a little fuel. Like the pump is trying to work but sucking air as well as fuel.