Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Gps or maps???

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Lbear 
#1 ·
Looking for best option. Any ideas????

#2 ·
Maps, batteries never die in those lol. We carry maps a hand held gps an the one in my wife's phone. The hand held dosent have maps just the ability to get grids and marks the path you took so when we're following random trails that's on some can find our way back if we get turned around. Remember if you have to rely on technology only you will get burned eventually. Always carry the basics to. Hell I also have a lensatic compass in the jeep

#5 ·
Use both, GPS is good to get you there but it really does not show you the options that a map does. My garmin is loaded with topo maps but the small screen does not provide the detail of a good map.

#9 ·
Ditto, as far as I am concerned you really want both. For every trail you can find on a gps, a NFS map will show you five more. But when you are in the boonies, following one trail after another it can be really nice to be able to pull down your coordinants to see where you actually are.

#7 ·
I'm a bit more old school. Maps are maybe a bit more of a pain to fold, flip, tuck, and you can get a war wound of paper cut, but it's like a standard...once you know how to use them you never forget and they are simple in function and don't break.

To be fair, I like to be prepared (I haul probably more than I need to up trails) so I have both GPS and maps, but like Brendend said...if the batteries die I can pull out ol'reliable.

Not to mention I'm fond of topo maps so I can gauge what the mountains will be doing.

#15 ·
As a boater as well as a Jeep enthusiast I can tell you from experience you need both. Electronics can crash and a GPS and map serve as a check on each other. The best thing about GPS is the ability to pinpoint where you are so you don't take that wrong fork (or spoon) in the road, especially on trails that have offshoots. The other advantage of GPS is the ability to plan your route beforehand, plot distances and enter critical points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.