Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   AUX Light Switch / Relay Install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/aux-light-switch-relay-install-176180.html)

Wrong Way Hal 07-25-2012 07:32 PM

AUX Light Switch / Relay Install
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I'm slowly working on an AUX light install. I get about 2 hours in the morning before the garage gets too hot. So far I've got the Mopar light bar, Plasmaglow switches and fused relays installed.

Attachment 144159

The switches from top to bottom will be: Front Driving lights, wide angle lights and backup lights.
Attachment 144156

Now I need to decide on what lights to get for the front. I'm bouncing back and forth from a Rigid Industries E-Series 20" LED Combo Light Bar or Rigid Dually D2 LED Lights - White Driving Beam Single and Dually D2 LED Wide Light . Fortunately, I won't be needing the lights until the fall, so I have some time to decide.

My plans are to do a flush install using Sealed, 6-1/2" Oval LED Trailer Back Up Light, Flush Mount, 36 Diode - Clear Optronics Trailer Lights BUL52CB in the rear bumper.

Regards,

RB-10rubicon 07-25-2012 08:38 PM

I like those switches very cool

Jared66 07-25-2012 08:42 PM

Does the light from those switches bother you there while driving in the dark?

Medic005 07-25-2012 09:01 PM

Will be installing the Mopar light bar tomorrow night, any tips of the install or is it pretty straight forward?

I have three rampage products 4.74" driving lights that I'm mounting on the bar.

Wrong Way Hal 07-25-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 2622074)
Does the light from those switches bother you there while driving in the dark?

Don't know yet. I just got the power to the switches this morning so the LED indicator lights come on. I'll let you know the next time I drive at night. First guess is no, the circle indicator lights are not all that bright.

bummin03 07-25-2012 09:48 PM

The biggest thing I ran into with that light bar was running the wires through it. I did not want them out so I took them through the center of the light bar. I am pretty sure I have the exact same one, it did not come with a space to run the wires. It was my first experience with running lights.

Wrong Way Hal 07-25-2012 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic005 (Post 2622145)
Will be installing the Mopar light bar tomorrow night, any tips of the install or is it pretty straight forward?

I had a couple of minor problems. First, I had to use a chisel to remove those 2 plastic screws holding the spacer panel between the bumper and the grill. I replaced the plastic screws with some 1/2" inserts from Autozone. Most any auto parts store should have a large selection of these types of holders. I ended up using a rivet style instead of a screw style.

Attachment 144255

The other problem/issue was with the size of the hole I made on each side of the spacer panel. As it turned out, I only needed a narrow slot, about 1/2" wide.

Saranrap 07-25-2012 10:45 PM

can you tell me where you got those switches and relays? and did you choose momentary or on/off

Thanks!!!

Medic005 07-26-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n6hal (Post 2622366)
I had a couple of minor problems. First, I had to use a chisel to remove those 2 plastic screws holding the spacer panel between the bumper and the grill. I replaced the plastic screws with some 1/2" inserts from Autozone. Most any auto parts store should have a large selection of these types of holders. I ended up using a rivet style instead of a screw style.

Attachment 144255

The other problem/issue was with the size of the hole I made on each side of the spacer panel. As it turned out, I only needed a narrow slot, about 1/2" wide.

Thanks, hopefully I will attempt this tonight!

Wrong Way Hal 07-26-2012 09:58 AM

I got the switches through Amazon. The search information is:

Green: Plasmaglow 11012
Red: Plasmaglow 11011
Blue: Plasmaglow 11010

These particular switches are push on/push off. The Plasmaglow website says they also have momentary switches, but I couldn't find any retailer that sold them.

These are a tad pricey. I remember reading in other postings AFTER I bought mine that there are other switches similar to the Plasmaglow, but cheaper.

The relays were just the average type. I got the "sealed" kind, again through Amazon. The search info is:

12 VDC Waterproof Relay SPDT 30/40A with Metal Bracket

When I said that I had installed the fused relays, I meant that in addition to the relays, I placed fuses inline for protection. You can do an Amazon search for "blade fuse holder" and find several options.

HTHs.

Regards.

Saranrap 07-26-2012 02:17 PM

you are the man!!! thanks for the info :thumb:

Lynskey 07-26-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n6hal (Post 2622366)
I had a couple of minor problems. First, I had to use a chisel to remove those 2 plastic screws holding the spacer panel between the bumper and the grill. I replaced the plastic screws with some 1/2" inserts from Autozone. Most any auto parts store should have a large selection of these types of holders. I ended up using a rivet style instead of a screw style.

Attachment 144255

The other problem/issue was with the size of the hole I made on each side of the spacer panel. As it turned out, I only needed a narrow slot, about 1/2" wide.

Not to Hijack - I don't get this. My Mopar light bar went on with zero mods to the spacer. It doesn't even touch it? As far as the wires, I just ran straight back into the grill. I too didn't want to run them down the bar and have zip ties and/or other fasteners.

Medic005 07-28-2012 08:58 PM

Finally got mine on

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...5/f4ff618e.jpg

snoozer 02-12-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n6hal (Post 2621837)
Hi All,

I'm slowly working on an AUX light install. I get about 2 hours in the morning before the garage gets too hot. So far I've got the Mopar light bar, Plasmaglow switches and fused relays installed.

Attachment 144159

The switches from top to bottom will be: Front Driving lights, wide angle lights and backup lights.
Attachment 144156

Now I need to decide on what lights to get for the front. I'm bouncing back and forth from a Rigid Industries E-Series 20" LED Combo Light Bar or Rigid Dually D2 LED Lights - White Driving Beam Single and Dually D2 LED Wide Light . Fortunately, I won't be needing the lights until the fall, so I have some time to decide.

My plans are to do a flush install using Sealed, 6-1/2" Oval LED Trailer Back Up Light, Flush Mount, 36 Diode - Clear Optronics Trailer Lights BUL52CB in the rear bumper.

Regards,

N6HAL-
I'm considering the same switches. at 1.5 inches deep , I was concerned there may not be enough room/depth behind the pillar cover. Three questions for you .... what year is your JK? 2) is that the stock pillar cover? 3) how did you create the holes?

Wrong Way Hal 02-13-2013 12:28 PM

Plenty of room behind the plastic piece to hold the switches. Per my signature, I have a 2012 JKR :whistling:. Yes, stock plastic A pillar cover. And I used a step-bit to drill the hole. Obviously, remove the plastic piece from the A pillar first. You need to do that anyway to mount the switches.

HTHs


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.